PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Hummer H3 Alpha Advice

Bill Price
10-23-2009, 06:07 AM
I just purchased a new Hummer H3 2009 Alpha. What advice can anyone pass along regarding installing the tow bar plates and electrical. I use the Blue Ox Aventa LX. Thanks

Loc
10-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Bill,

Gary (SpongeBob) tows an H3 Alpha. If I remember correctly he has tow brackets that mount where the tow rings are on the front bumper. He can probably take a picture of his set up. JDUB also pulls an H3.

Loc

Coloradobus
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Some Blue Ox Baseplates have a mount for the electrical connection on the center of the towbar. We learned the hard was using diodes to runn coach loghts thru the towcars wiring.
We now run a 4 wire cluster from the connection on the towbar baseplate running the under side of the Lexus, and the Chevy turck 4X4 we tow, and us auxillary added taillights. In the case of the some cars, there are blank spots in the cars rear taillight lens where you can drill a whole and add a bulb for lights. Oh do like we have done and use a light bar that slides into the hitch receiver
Also in some cases, you can use a Roadmaster baseplate that will use what they call the "XL" adaptor and use you Aventa II Blue Ox towbar. We have 2 XL adaptors that need homes, by the way.

That my only real recommendation.

Jerry Winchester
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
We are using a Roadmaster plate and tow bar on our H3 and it works very well. On the wiring, we did not hack into the Hummer wiring but installed a light socket in each of the tail lights and wired it up like a trailer, so the wiring is totally independent of the truck. Easy to wire and install.

We also used the AirForce One brake system that is also a good fit for the Hummer. It also has a nifty LED light bar on the tow adapter that points up at the back up camera that lets you varify that the Hummer brakes are indeed engaged. I guess you could do that on about any hook up, but this was tied to the brake light switch, so it only comes on when the brakes are depressed (either by the driver or the brake system).

michaeldterry
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
We use a set of wireless tow lights with our Blue Ox set-up and it couldn't be easier. We've been very pleased with the operation and ease of use! If interested, you can check them out at: http://www.wirelesstowlights.com/

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-23-2009, 01:49 PM
"Ditto" what JDUB said about his Hummer hook up, Air Force One Brake and lights. That is exactly how I had mine done, and haven't had any trouble with any of it.

The AF 1 is the only aux brake system that will work with the Hummer, other than the temporary brake box you put on the floor, which I don't think anybody actually uses?

Gary S.

Bill Price
10-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I went ahead and ordered the base plates from BlueOX along with the light kit that is not wired into the Hummer wiring.
Thanks for everyones input.