PDA

View Full Version : GPS ???

rahangman
10-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I have used Delorme Maps & GPS for over 10 yrs and basically been quite happy with it, although frustrated occasionally. Now, it is time to upgrade again and am considering changing. Any thoughts? What are the POG's using? And of course the BIG question, I have always wanted to learn the how to of Longitude and Latitude ever since Gregory Peck "found his way" around the ranch in "The Big Country"

merle&louise
10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Roger,

I recently purchased a Garmin nuvi 255W GPS, and I love it. It is simple to operate, and at around $200 the price is hard to beat. The nuvi designation means that you can use it when you are hiking or walking around a city that you are unfamiliar with.

I also have Microsoft's Streets & Trips on my laptop. I use both the GPS and the S&T on the laptop. S&T is good for seeing an entire route of travel and in planning a trip. The GPS is good for finding WalMarts, restaurants, fuel centers, etc. and also for the exact driving instructions in audio and video formats.

Garmin is now selling a GPS that warns the driver of low vertical heights in advance and will re-route you around them. I'm not sure what the model designation is on this unit; just contact Garmin's website and I'm sure you can find it.

michaeldterry
10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I love my Garmin 255W! In fact, I bought one for the bus and one for my 4 wheeler daily driver. The 255W is my second Garmin model. I gave my old one to my in-laws and they love it, too!

merle&louise
10-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Roger,

If you do buy a Garmin, be sure to record the serial # somewhere safe in case the unit is ever stolen. If you report it to the police, Garmin can track the unit when it is "on" and the police can drive right up to it.:D

Ray Davis
10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I replaced a Garmen Street Pilot with a Nuvi 270. Unfortunately, I a bit disappointed in it. It works fine, however the routing on it is terrible.

My StreetPilot seemed to route me in reasonable ways, but the Nuvi seems to take me off a highway for a parallel smaller road. Yes, I have it set on fastest, rather than shortest mode, but it seems to operate wrong.

I wish it has a "bus" mode, or large vehicle mode, rather than car, walking and off-road as it's modes.

I believe that Lloyd has mentioned he has compared Garmin and TomTom, and felt that TT did better routing.

I'm not totally upset with it, but felt it could do better.

Ray

michaeldterry
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I wish it has a "bus" mode, or large vehicle mode, rather than car, walking and off-road as it's modes.

My Garmin 255W does have a bus "mode". I have it set to that and, so far, it's never put me on an inappropriate routing!

Ray Davis
10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll trade you!

gmcbuffalo
10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Ray I have a Garmin 670 and it does the same thing. It has a bus mode. I have tried bus, truck and car modes and faster and shorter modes and it will still drive me thru neighborhoods.
GregM

merle&louise
10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
My Garmin 255W does have a bus "mode". I have it set to that and, so far, it's never put me on an inappropriate routing!

Michael,

I have a 255W. How do you set it to bus mode?

Also, these GPSs are not perfect. I have been routed thru residential neighborhoods once, but most of the time they are spot on! Remember; they are an aid to navigation. We still have to use ALL the tools available to navigate and that can be a road atlas in conjunction with a GPS.

HarborBus
10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
The Garmin for truck routing is the Nuvi 465T. We have a Nuvi 760 and I'm very happy with it.

rahangman
10-23-2009, 12:27 AM
We still have to use ALL the tools available to navigate and that can be a road atlas in conjunction with a GPS.

Well, Merle & Louise, using the road atlas is one reason I have stayed with Delorme for so long. They are the providers for the really big Atlas for each state, and I have used them before till I went to the Computer Version. I tried their hand held but, like so much else, small display just does not get the job done. Thanks all, I am going to check the Garmins out.

BrianE
10-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Rodger, Check this out, it has hands off cell (bluetooth), additional audio and video inputs and replaces your backup monitor. The Garmin GPS has both truck and bus modes. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Navigation/DNX9140

michaeldterry
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Michael,

I have a 255W. How do you set it to bus mode?

Also, these GPSs are not perfect. I have been routed thru residential neighborhoods once, but most of the time they are spot on! Remember; they are an aid to navigation. We still have to use ALL the tools available to navigate and that can be a road atlas in conjunction with a GPS.

Tuga - I owe you an apology. I thought my Garmin was a 255W, but it's actually a model 350. However, maybe the 255W has the same capability? At any rate - on mine I touch "Settings", then "Navigation" and the second setting from the top is "Vehicle". It gives me a choice of Car/Motorcycle, Pedestrian, Bicycle, Truck, Bus, Emergency, and Taxi. Choose the vehicle or travel mode that best fits your situation and tap "Okay".

I'm sorry for the initial misinformation about the model. We had used the GPS in the toad yesterday during an outing and I just went out and got it to find how I set it to bus mode. I happened to glance at the label on the back of the unit and discovered my mistake. Like every other stupid thing I do - I'm going to blame this on my brain damage! It's always a convenient excuse and it's true! :D

Ray Davis
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I just checked, and my Nuvi was a 770, not 270. Regardless, it still does some wacky routing.

I was really hoping Lloyd would chime in here regarding the Tom Tom.

Ray

rahangman
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanx guys a lot of info and products to sift thru, very interesting especially the "Bus" mode.

aggies09
10-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Brian,

Does the Kenwood unit allow you to set for vehicle size, i.e. bus, truck? It seems like I remember JDUB installing a similar unit, maybe he could chime in on his experience.

phorner
10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
An interesting side note:

While in the Miami, Florida area, my Garmin Nuvi 660 kept trying to get me into the actual BUS ONLY lanes/roadways when in "bus mode" :eek:

I was driving my Jeep and hadn't switched modes when I transferred the GPS from the bus to the car.

So, from that point on, I always used "truck" instead of "bus".....

James
12-04-2009, 07:05 AM
We've been using the Garmin Nuvi 465T, which is designed for the trucking industry, for several months now. It has two modes, automobile and truck.

In the truck mode you can set your height, length, width, weight, etc and it will only route you via truck routes. It alerts you for sharp curves, narrow road, and weigh stations. It also has traffic information as well.

So far we like it. If you want to go over non truck roads you must switch to automobile mode and sometimes the database has a gap in the truck routes that won't allow you to navigate via the truck mode even though the truckers atlas indicates an approved truck route.