PDA

View Full Version : Tire size confusion

pwf252
10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
While we were at the POG Rally one of the other members (loc) commented on the fact that the front tires on our 02 CC had been upgraded to 365"s. Being a newbee my initial thought was HUH. Since then I've copped a clue. Anyway at present I have the bus at Prevost - Fort Worth for some maintenance. (ya I know. I did however insist that they provide the grease at no additional cost to me) While looking at the bus on the lift ( god forbid I bend over anymore) I noticed that it has 315's on the tag while the bus next to it has 365's on steer and tags. Which brings me to my question. Should I have 365"s on the tag also? And why?
I appreciate any insight to what may or may not be a dumb question. Being new at this I wouldn't know!!

Coloradobus
10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Patrick,

Sorry Chris and I didn't get to meet you and 60472. We were looking at your coach and talking with Brandon back in July. Its a great looking coach.
CHECK AGAIN CLOSELY, YOUR COACH MAY HAVE 385 not 365's on front.
Country Coach, upon building the XLII's, was looking for ways to have a higher rated front axle. Bob Lee had the testing done and came up with the 385 tires.. At Spearfish POG, last fall, we had South Dakota DOT come in with their scales to weigh everybody. Roger and Micki Foster, with 60476, a 2 slide sister to yours, had one of the lightlest front ends, if I remember a little over 15000 lbs and change. Country Coach has done a super job keeping the front axle light regardless of placing larger tires on the coaches. The big tires on yours is some what overkill, but follow the air psi chart and you will be able to run less air psi according to your front axle weight, and have smooooth ride.
As for putting 365's on the tag, save your money. Those folks who have upgraded from 315's on the front to 365's ( Prevost quoted $8,000.00 for the upgrade for tires, bearings ( sealed greased ones) and wheels and shocks), most haven't put the larger on the tag. The only reason I can think putting the 365's on the tag is to have tires to rotate up to the front incase of an event.

Enjoy, and tell Rosey up front we said HI

pwf252
10-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Jim,
I appreciate the information. We are also sorry we didn't get to meet you and Chris. Hopefully at the next rally or before. We are enjoying the bus a great deal and are looking forward to our next trip in Nov. to Georgia. Thanks again.

jack14r
10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
The 04 XLII shell was upgraded to 365 tires on the steer and tag axles.Even though you could never get even close to the weight limit on the tag Prevost decided to use the 365 because if you needed a spare tire it could be moved from the tag to the steering axle and then replace the tag with a 315 tire.The wheels on the 04 and newer shells are the same for the tag and the steer.Prevost logic is that we are carrying our spare tire for the front axle.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Occasionally Prevost is customer driven. I have seen it in the past when in response to converters who chose to ignore axle weight limits Prevost just threw up their hands and increased the axle weight ratings. That is how the Mae West bags came into existance along with the double shock upgrade.

I think again it is the ever increasing front axle weights that pushed Prevost into the bigger tires. Our 315 tires actually have a 9000 pound capacity (18,000 pound axle), but the bigger tires provide a margin of safety. I agree the tag being the same size provides a tire to use on the front, but regardless, anyone having a front tire failure is unlikely to find a 365 for the tag so they are likely to either have a 315 installed (later useable for the drive) or a used tire to get them home, and cheap enough to throw away.

rfoster
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
PWF: Sorry we did not get to make your aquaintance in OKC, but for your info -the 385 tires were a concern to me.

My previous bus had a spare tire for the front (attached to the tag) but with the CC set up - no front spare. So I considered buying a 385 tire to take on the trips. However after calling 4 truck tire dealers in my area and inquiring about the 385s all 4 had them in stock. They are popular for Dump trucks. On the other hand-- only one had a 315 tire on hand.

Bottom line - it appears easier to find the 385s than 315s if you happen to need one.