PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes GL as TOAD

fixrim
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
We have a Mercedes GL450, 07 model, that I want to flat tow behind the bus. This is a "one time" deal and since we usually tow a trailer, I don't want to spend $$$ outfitting the GL with a tranny pump. So, my method is to start it, put it in neutral, and let it idle as I flat tow it. It's a 4500 mile round trip. I have done this successfully with an 03 Ford Excursion (well, except for one time when it ran out of diesel on a really long haul across Montana and Wyoming, which caused the tranny to die once it stopped running)

I have no qualms letting this thing idle forever, but would like to solicit opinions on the effects on the GL.

Of course the Mercedes dealer knows nothing....

Thanks in advance..

garyde
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
if its a one time tow, why not put it on a trailer and save the wear and tear.

gmcbuffalo
10-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Or a dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly.
Greg

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
I would just rent a U-Haul car trailer. They are stout and will easily carry the weight. Then you don't have to mess with a hitch or lights for the M-B.

Loc
10-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Bob,

The cost to put a hitch and wire lighting and set up a brake will be more expensive than buying a cheap car hauler trailer. It cost me close to $2k to set up my Tahoe including the cost of the towbar, mounting brackets, wiring and M&G brake. I have a cheap car hauler that I use for the trailer queen Jeep that cost me $1,500. I have a friend who bought a trailer for a single trip and then sold it upon his return. It ended up costing him $200 in a lower sales price. Or rent one from UHaul like Jon said.

Loc

fixrim
10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I already have the tow bar, and temporary lights. I don't want a trailer because of the hassle of storing the trailer. We are skiing in the mountains, and I can unhook the GL and use it, but parking is already a problem and might be really tough with a trailer. I may end up not taking the GL, but we have 5 kids with us, and driving the bus for gorceries and too the mall is a real hassle! This method worked great with the Excursion on the 12000 miles I put on it flat towing, but the GL is all wheel drive, and a bit more complicated than the 2wd excursion.....

PLSNTVLE2
10-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I would have a real hard time dragging my MB behind my bus. What about having a rental waiting for you when you get to the slopes?

Judi Brown
10-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Is this the same as a G Wagon. If so my husband brought one only to find out it can't be towed without undoing 2 drive shafts. He likes it so much, he going to use a trailer.
Judi B

GDeen
10-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I would have a real hard time dragging my MB behind my bus. What about having a rental waiting for you when you get to the slopes?

This is what we did when we leased a plastic coach for a trip a few years ago. Line up rentals either at your destination or drop off the wife or other driver at rental spot near destination. Works great and you won't be draggin your MB around the country while it idles...

Kenneth Brewer
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
You wouldn't want to be stopped or have an occasion or incident where you not only are found towing a 3 ton vehicle with the engine running, key in the ignition, and no tow(ing) vehicle actuated braking mechanism in the towed vehicle, I would think.

Coloradobus
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Caution, you can't dolly an all wheel drive car.

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Caution, you should not tow an all wheel drive vehicle four down, engine running or not!

JIM

Coloradobus
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Exception, all wheel-drive stick shift Subarus are towable 4 down. Mercedes, GL, no, but the G-Wagon has a transfer neutral and I got Mercedes Westminster Colorado say it was towable.

rahangman
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Did you not tow a Lexus XL470 for a while? Wasn't it an all wheel drive?

fixrim
10-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah you all have me convinced... I will abandon this idea..

Either rent or perhaps tow my Ford Truck...

Coloradobus
10-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey Roger,

Yes we tow a Lexus 470, it is full-time FOURWHEEL drive, not ALL wheel drive. There is a difference. All wheel drive automatics don't have a "TRANSFER NEUTRAL/" Fulltime 4X4's do like the Lexus. Mercedes and the such are all wheel drive vehicles with a different kind of transfer case.
That is why I said above the Mercedes G-500 Galendenwagon can be towed, since it has a transfer neutral if you hold the button long enough to go from 4 high to 4 low., it puts itself into tranfer neutral.
Escalades, audi's, Yukon-Denalis don't have that mode.
We have towed our LX to Florida and back, to LA and back, and to Ohio and back, and to OKC! It tows great and it gets 1000's of miles to the premium gas gallon:D, when its behind the bus.;)