PDA

View Full Version : Toad trouble on the way home from OKC

ajducote
10-19-2009, 06:48 AM
This is what happens when you loose a toad tire and do not know it happened. I stopped at the Florida welcome center on I-10 and all was fine. 60 Miles later I stopped for the night and this is what I found on my walk around. I had no idea I had lost a tire. There were no sparks, no movement of the Jeep in the rear view camera and I did not feel any difference in the bus. No one honked a horn or made funny pointing signs at me as they passed. So the bottom line, I was totally clueless that it had happened. So I guess a tire monitoring system is next on the list.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
When we towed our Jeep GC we were on I-90 just east of Cleveland in very heavy traffic and I felt a slight almost imperceptible tug and heard a faint pop just after I went over a bumpy bridge expansion joint. I immediately hit the shoulder and as I slowed sufficiently I got into the grass well off the highway.

The front right tire on the Jeep had a 3" hole blown in the side.

I also drove 1/4 mile with the H2 Hummer brakes locked.

From those two experiences I can say with conviction that at the first unexplained sound or the slightest unexplained movement of the coach you need to stop. Maybe it is because in the plane I am spring loaded to react to any sound or unusual movement, but from those two incidents I can say the bus can drag any vehicle that we tow without wheels and we would not even feel the bus slow down. When I dragged the Hummer the bus went up through the gears as though there was nothing back there.

But except for a little tug, barely perceptible there was a small noise associated with each incident. Actually dragging a Hummer with the brakes locked created a loud squealing noise.

dale farley
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
This is another good reason to have the tire monitors. Unfortunately, when I installed mine, I only put them on the bus; not on the toad.

Jim Keller had a similar experience with a blow out last year. Fortunately, someone saw his and told him about it. He now has the tire monitors.

truk4u
10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Great timing...... I just ordered and received sensors for my Pressure Pro for the Jeep along with an Echo Repeater to boost the signal from the rear.

By the way, anyone with Pressure Pro having intermittent signal problems needs the Repeater. All the steel in our buses effect the communication between the sensors and the monitor.

Thanks Andre for the wake up call!;)

JIM KELLER
10-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Andre, WOW ! Wouldn't you think someone would have flagged or waved to you. Like dale said, I lost the left front on our Jeep and had no idea. Couldn't even see it in the Camera.

rickdesilva
10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
maybe it happens only to Jeeps......no problems like that with the Asian brand vehicles;)

garyde
10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I recall seeing a post with a tire rim ground flat by the owner towing it. Definately I would have the Pro Tire sensors if I was to tow.

Richard Barnes
10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I would appreciate any advice on the best brand of TPMS. I would like to equip both the coach and the toad. I know nothing about this.
Thanks!

dale farley
10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Richard,

Here are a couple links to previous discussions about TPMS. There are several different systems that look different and function a little differnt, but hopefully, they all produce similar results. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3761&highlight=tpms and http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3130&highlight=tpms

Richard Barnes
10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks Paul! I think I'm gonna equip the coach with this ASAP!

Richard Barnes
10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Dale, Sorry I refered to you as Paul, I was on the phone talking to an employee named Paul while responding to your post. Let's just call it sometimers and leave it at that.

dale farley
10-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I've been called much worse.

fixrim
10-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey I can get you a wheel for that...

ajducote
10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
fixrim,

Thanks for the offer, but it has already been replaced and other damage repaired.