PDA

View Full Version : Spot Satellite Messenger

jello_jeep
10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I have seen theses before, but hadn't gotten one yet... Now I have one...

I was at West Marine in Lake Havasu, and West has these units on sale for 79 bucks, plus a 30 dollar mail in rebate gift card for a total of 49 bucks!

The subscription is 100 bucks a year for basics, and you can add on as shown on the website.

www.findmespot.com

More or less, you log on and create your account. Who you want called, emailed or texted when you push one of three buttons... 911/sos, help, or all ok just checking in.

It sends a satellite signal with said message, and a link to google maps with your current gps location to your chosen recipients.

They can link roadside assist to it as well.

We do 4wheel trips into BFE where nothing works, and the other half would love to just get a text / email saying all is ok.. It will do other things as well as you can see on the site.. But for the dollars.. What a great deal.

I just set mine up, put it in the back yard, and pressed the "all ok" button. It had never been powered up before, or aquired a gps fix anywhere..

In about 5 minutes, both our cell phones got a text, and the two email addresses got email.

I clicked the link to google maps in the email, and hit the sat view, and it pinpointed my location in my back yard within feet.

I am impressed. Especially for the minor investment.

The reason its on sale is they are releasing a smaller unit.. This one is ok with me ;)

parksincpp
10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
We have one also. We've had it almost a year and have used it mostly for Scott when he goes on solo dirt bike riding in the desert and mountains. Also on the boat, just testing it out and on road trips. It's interesting to see the topo on google maps of the terrain you were in.

Scott's little nephew follows along on the compter in Indiana on his rides.

We talked to search and rescue with Mohave County Sheriffs and they are well aware of the unit, it's capabilities, and are ready to rescue so long as it's a true emergency. They also said they send military helicopters out to locate you if your really out in the middle of BFE.

Now you'll have to go wheelin just to see what it looks like on the web site when you get back.

sawdust_128
10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Warren,

That's a great price. Would it be possible to get a url or phone number for the source?

michaeldterry
10-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Warren,

That's a great price. Would it be possible to get a url or phone number for the source?

Dust-man - try this: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/340100/?x=20&storeId=10001&keyword=spot&jspStoreDir=wm51&y=5&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SiteSearch

jello_jeep
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I think its an awesome price! And an awesome invention!

Wish I had thought of it ;)

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Is there an monthly billing for the "Spot" service?

JIM

sawdust_128
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM

JIM

Jim, latest details here.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

parksincpp
11-03-2009, 01:17 PM

JIM

It's billed yearly. You can pick and choose what you want. From basic service to being able for someone to track you live on the computer, and or insurance to "pay" for your rescue.

sawdust_128
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
If I remember correctly, the extraction service is offered at a special low rate if subscribed to at purchase. It is then renewable at that rate. If I remember correctly, that rate was much better than the rate to add the extraction insurance at a later date.

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks GUYs that's what I was looking for:)

JIM