PDA

View Full Version : Generator replacement

LA-HODAG
10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Has anybody replaced their existing generator with a new one in a quiet box? I have a 15kw Onan powered by a 3 cylinder Cummins. It usually runs fine, but it ocassionally has control issues (runs overspeed or underspeed). The Onan/Cummins dealer has never seen one of this vintage and they really don't know how to fix. It has nearly 9,000 hours, overheats occasionally and is pretty noisy. Plus, the cross-bus set up with squirrel cage fan in my CC takes up almost the entire bay, leaving room for only some shallow drawers on the street side. So rather then spending $ on what will still be an obsolete machine, I'm thinking of replacing the whole unit with a self-contained generator/box set up. Any suggestions? Experience? I'm not planning on (read "capable of") doing the work myself. Thanks.

BrianE
10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Bryan,

It may be that you are looking at making one of those decisions that one is faced with when improving an older coach. I can attest to the fact that when one starts down the slippery slide of upgrading, it's very hard to put the brakes on. Additionally you will probably not get a dime more for the coach if you EVER plan to sell it.

An enclosed genset is a good thing and is certainly within the realm of possibility. That said, it could be the tip of an iceberg.

First you will need to make sure the unit is cooled properly. Since enclosed units usually are exposed to a cooling air source you will need to provide a forced air system adequate to the genset's needs.

Generator control is another issue which may be a signal to consider the age and condition of your inverters and or transfer switching. While you're at it and all is exposed, it might be a good time to consider rewiring the supply side of the system. And so on and so forth.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
To follow Brian's take on this I would first ask how long I intended to keep the coach? As Brian correctly points out such a change will not add anything to the value of your coach, and if the swap is not done really well it may actually devalue the coach. Country used Onan on their coaches during that era and amongst the CC owners here someone must know a dealer that is capable of servicing one. Saying they don't know how to fix it is the same as saying they are too lazy to find out how to support the product.

The noise is easily resolved by installing materials to replace the original sound deadening materials, usually a combination of foams of various densitys with a lead sheeting sandwiched in between.

As to the cooling that is a matter of insuring the radiator is not clogged as a result of poor coolant maintenance and that the generator thermostat and water pump are working properly. As Brian states changing to the gnerators in a box you are exposing yourself to a lot of issues and you need to consider air flow for cooling (open spaces mean noise), controls, and available space, not to ignore some hefty costs.

gmcbuffalo
10-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I would contact Dick Wright " the generator man"

http://www.wricointernational.com

GregM

rahangman
10-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Brian, once again thanks for the CC info you forwarded to me. It has helped a lot. About your GenSet. I seem to have the exact same unit, 3 cyl, Onan, 15kw. This summer at FMCA Rally in Ohio, the "Big Boys" from Onan were there and I stumped them, then they did "Find" the info for oil & air filter for me. Paid for them, they sent them to me. Wrong ones. They sent them via Part # for their Gen Set. After working several different phone numbers, found someone at Onan, USA that actually found an Operators Catalog for me and they (he) was able to send me the correct filters. I can't remember his name, I just got lucky. I also have a home Gen Set that needs attention from Onan and they seem reluctant to do much, it is older but still works. I have always thought Onan to be a Name Brand, but, it seems support is lacking. :(