PDA

View Full Version : Dash air gauges

gmcbuffalo
10-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I found a leak where the thin black air line attaches to the dash air gauge. All I need to do is cut the air line and insert it back into the gauge. Problem is I can't get the air line out of the gauge. Anyone know how these line attach? Tried unscrewing it, no luck, push in the and pull on the black line, no luck. Help

GregM

Kevin Erion
10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I would guess on that vintage gauge it will have a compression fitting. Is there a nut that is around the plastic line at the gauge? You would unscrew the nut and pull the line off the back of the gauge.

gmcbuffalo
10-15-2009, 09:38 PM
No nuts. just a little gray ring, that can slide up and down the air line.
GregM

JIM CHALOUPKA
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Greg, are you working on the gauge out of the dash, or from down under a mounted gauge?
If you can get to it, use a small sharp knife (Exacto or similar) to slit the rubber lengthwise at the attachment point.

JIM

gmcbuffalo
10-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Jim I have the panel off and working from the back. I'll try the exacto knife tomorrow.
Thanks
GregM

dreamchasers
10-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Greg,

I had the exact same leak on my coach. It would drain the brake air tanks overnight. I remembered, it was tough to locate the leak.

I did not have any luck on removing the tubing and reusing the fitting. I replaced the fitting and tubing and solved the problem. I worked the fitting so much trying to remove the tubing until I damaged it. I figured that with the age of the fitting and any internal rubber o'rings, replacement was my best option.

The 1/8" NPT female to 1/8" push tube replacement fitting was difficult to find (I live in a small town). But once the fitting was replacedd, the problem was solved.

Good Luck,

Hector

gmcbuffalo
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks Hector, I'll look for that fitting. really strange that is doesn't come apart.
GregM

gmcbuffalo
10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Once the air pressure was down it was a push/pull and the line came out.
GregM