PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, we're out of fuel?

Jeffery Raymond
01-01-2006, 04:36 PM
It's legendary that bus owners are afraid they are going to run out of fuel...which incidentally in a big bus is pretty bad news, as it is quite an operation to reprime the system.

Of course, the easy solution is to keep plenty of fuel on board anyway.

On most Prevost coaches there is a tiny little connection near the fuel tank, should be inside the bay--and not usually even noted in the Prevost manuals--the idea being, put a bit of fuel in the tank, put some air to the valve and it reprimes the system.

Nice bit of trivia to pull on another owner if you have the chance.

rahangman
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I have had recent problems with loosing my prime (no remarks please) on my 8V92T over a couple days parked. We repaired the check valve in the Primary Fuel Filter/Water Seperator which was fouled with all kinds of gunk, and to be on the safe side, I now close my fuel shut off valve which is located right below my 24 & 12 volt Battery Disconnect switches in the Right Side eng bay. Would love to know more about this air/prime capability just in case. I watched Jacksonville Prevost mech prime my engine at their facility, and know that I do not want to manually have to EVER do this.

rickdesilva
04-04-2009, 02:56 PM
My understanding is that the best solution to running out of fuel is to have a MINI attached as a toad and use it to push the coach so that you could refuel. I forget what topic it was posted under but I know it was discussed on POG:)

Kenneth Brewer
04-04-2009, 04:37 PM
You may want to reconsider the idea of turning the fuel valve off when finished with the coach. Forgetting to turn it back on before attempting starting just once could conceivably result in air being sucked back into the line (the check valve is for forward flow and would not prevent fuel from being pulled in that direction).

Clogged fuel filters could do this just as well, as you have discovered. While the fuel pump (at the fuel tank) would supply fuel after the valve is reopened, if there is air in the injectors, that won't help. Some have been lucky and gotten the engine to fire relatively quickly afterwards, other have not, even when the pump prime has not been lost.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
On the base of the fuel filter (where the cartridge screws in) is an allen headed plug. This is on the filter base next to the water pump.

When that plug is removed that is the priming port. I tell you this not so it will solve your loss of prime problem, but so you know where to pump raw fuel into the engine in case it will not start.

A garden pump up sprayer with a threaded adapter is all you need. Pump a gallon or so through that port, restore the plug and the engine should fire. I have no clue where the check valve is in your system.

dale farley
04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=2632

This is the post that Rick is referring to. It shows Roger's solution to being out of fuel. I am sure Roger can see more humor in this event today than he did when it was happening.

Will Garner
04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Rick,

I remember that thread too. I think it had something to do with a fancy dan driving a high MPG 60 Series that ran out of gas just a few miles after having filled it up at a truck stop. My 8V92 could have gone farther than that on a full tank even at 62.5 miles per hour! The excuse offered was they had gone inside to eat a meal at the truck stop restraurant and someone must have siphoned off 200 gallons of diesel. That's close. Who, driving a Prevost with a Mini toad, eats a meal at truck stop restraurant. As they say back home, "Yeah Right!"

Of course I'm glad everything turned out alright and no one wound up sick from the meal - just the loss of some serious Lewbucks.

Later ...

dreamchasers
04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
On my coach, series 60, the diesel fuel check valve is accessed thru the compartment behind the passenger side rear wheel and in front of the side engine access door (Where the chassis batteries are located.) I had to remove carpet covered wood covers to gain access to the check valve (Mine was leaking due to a crack in the housing.). The check valve in strapped to the chassis frame. You can see the side of the transmission from this access area. I replaced mine after discovering a small nagging leak that was coating the lower rear of coach. The check valve was installed in-line with tubing fittings.

A few drops must collect at least a pound of dirt. What a mess.

Hector

rfoster
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Will: We had to eat, but first the plan is every time we stop, some folks in our group have to shop. At Wal-Mart. There ain't a whole lot of choices in Gillette, Wyoming--- So we ate at some steak house that serves Fried Chicken and other stuff. Busiest place in town. Even the cops ate there. No one watching the thieves doing the dirty deed. And it was a 100 gallons of fuel.

Fancy Dan, - he was in Mississippi (He met Elvis once)

LA-HODAG
04-10-2009, 12:42 AM
I like Jon's idea. Thanks for pointing out that port on the filter base. If you find yourself without prime after running out of fuel and without a garden sprayer, try removing the secondary filter, filling the filter cartridge to the brim with fuel, replace and start. On the two occasions I ran out (don't ask) this was sufficient to fire a couple of cylinders, which spins the engine enough to get a good suck going. After a few seconds of coughing and sputtering we were good to go. Not sure it always works, but worth a try if you are stranded.