PDA

View Full Version : Trailer or no trailer

Larry W
10-12-2009, 11:58 PM
There are times it would be nice to take our C6 corvette on our travels. We are thinking about an enclosed car hauler with a 7000 lb GVW.
What are some of the pros and cons of pulling a trailer? We do at times haul our jeep on an open trailer but the jeep can be used to move the trailer once we park. We will be about 70 feet long (legal in Colorado). Looking forward to the thoughts of this group.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-13-2009, 07:51 AM
The reason I think most of us tow 4 wheels down is the utter simplicity of doing so. I also would like to occasionally bring different vehicles, but a trailer creates issues in some RV parks because there are sometimes no good places to put one.

A trailer also becomes another vehicle that has to be washed. It certainly becomes a storage facility and if you are like me you will start filling it up with things you deem necessary. Tools, spare parts, extra tires, etc. Then you run out of room and the next thing you know you have a 30 foot stacker so you can haul the golf cart and the Harley along with every tool and spare part known to man.

There are places I go where I wish I had a trailer, but it ain't worth the hassle of having to find a place to park it in RV parks or at home, giving up fuel mileage, and risking a ticket in those states whose limits are 65 feet.

But it sure would be nice to have one so if I got in a pinch I could actually back up, unlike flat towing where backing up tends to break stuff.

lonesome george
10-13-2009, 08:49 PM
A trailer is another vehicle that must be maintained, insured and licensed.

I pull one with the bus most of the time. We have a 24' enclosed car trailer with GVW of 9900 and a open flat top single axle rig with a GVW of 5000.
The up side of the enclosed one is it is a little more secure and the trash the bus picks up beats on the trailer not it's contents, but it tracks well inside the drive and tag axles when turning and that can be a real buzz kill. The assembly is 73' and change and that can cause some problems all by itself.
As Jon indicated length laws in some states and parking for starters.

The other one we pull is much more user friendly the deck is 8'6" X 16' and we use it for ATV's, snowmobiles and such, the overall length with it is 65' on the nut and it tracks in the same path with the drives so if I don't hit it with the bus I won't hit it with the trailer. The downside to this one is your stuff is in the open.

One of the main reasons I like trailers is the fact that you can back the things up.

We are slowly moving toward using a frog for some trips and thats another vehicle, there is no end to this madness.

Larry W
10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Jon & George
Thanks for your input. I am aware of most of the pros & cons you have listed.
We do pull a open trailer hauling our jeep when we go to Moab, UT just in case I break something doing the crazy things that Moab makes one do. It is a 6000 GVW 14 foot trailer. The enclosed trailer would be a new thing to us.
The storage is not a problem for us.
George do you have problems with 24' of trailer finding camping places?
How does the trailer track in cross winds?
I have found a used 20' trailer for a decent price and the vette will fit.
I suppose you look for long pull through places.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Larry,

I have a 2007 Z06 and while there are times it would be fun to have along, I would have a real hassle loading unless the trailer had some seriously low loading ramps. What really stops me apart from clearance issues is just the time it would take screwing with a trailer, such as securing the car, finding a place in the typical RV park to put it etc.

We have been in several RV parks recently where there is NO place for a trailer and all trailers must be off site. Consider the hassle.

I do like the fact that a trailer can be backed up.

lonesome george
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Larry,
Pulling the 24' trailer in crosswinds has not been a problem with the bus, our previous motor home was a different story, but I do use a sway control and load controls on the coupling with the 24' and nothing on the 16'.
Finding a place to park or camp takes a little planning, we call ahead to RV parks and have a little chat about the length of the sites and the in and out access.
The 20' trailer you are looking at should stay behind the bus much better than our 24' er when turning.
Another pain with a trailer is the tongue jack, lots of times lifting the bus is the only way to get in parking lots without trashing the jack, again.
However a tow bar mount on the front of a Corvette could be a real conversation starter.

Larry W
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Jon & George Thanks again.
Am aware of the tounge jack thing as I thrashed the one on my flat bed behind my pickup. You answer another question as I was wondering about sway control.
Yes Jon the ramp is a consideration but the trailers I am looking at have a 3 to 4 foot inside dove tail plus the rear door is about 6 feet long plus a 1 foot flap so this give a ramp with a very low break over angle.
The big problem with the vette is getting out ot the thing inside a trailer, but ours is not a Z06 so we do have a removable roof that stores frimly under the rear hatch. The roof removed makes egress easy.
Still pondering if we want to do this.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Ihave trouble getting in and out of mine with the door all the way open, Hadn't even considered how hard it would be stuck inside a trailer.

Get an open trailer. Better yet, leave the bus at home. Drive the Corvette.

Orren Zook
10-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Larry,

I pull a 27' UXT enclosed trailer from time to time and use a Reese weight distributing hitch with 1000# bars. I've never had an issue with sway control using this setup.

treedoc
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I have seen a side door on the drivers side of the trailer. This is opened before the auto is loaded so you can swing the auto door in the opening of the side door to make it easyer to get out of the auto. Rick

rfoster
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Larry W. I don't mean to detract from your trailer thread, but I was recently through you Fine town and met a very interesting car salesman:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0472.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0468.jpg

I tried to hire him on the spot, but he wants too much!!!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0473.jpg

I had to stop and get some photos.:cool:

gmcbuffalo
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Coming back from OKC going thru Utah I saw two people pulling double, one was a car-trailer-ATV trailer the other was a Motorhome-trailer-jeep. Something I thought you could only do with a 5th wheel.
GregM

Larry W
10-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Roger
Don't let the word out about the place I bought my bus. The price was super.

Greg did you like seeing 3 hooked up on 2" trailer balls. It makes me take notice when one of these trains pass doing the 75 MPH speed limit. It is legal in CO, UT & NM but not AZ. There the center one has to be a 5th wheel hook up

JIM KELLER
10-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Roger, I wouldn't hire that guy either ! Looks like all he would ever do is stand and lean on your inventory.

Reagan Sirmons
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Larry W,
I have a 27 foot enclosed Shadow with the fold down tail gate plus the extended 6 feet ramps. We can load a Nascar one inch off the ground. I recommend the extra ramps and extra supports for the fold down tail gate. Be certain the trailer has jacks on each side to support the trailer when you are loading. The trailer will drop as much as 4 inches. In addition, the floor of the trailer should be raised via the reversal of the axles so the door of the 'Vette will open more easily. However, without ramps inside the trailer to raise the car, you will still be impaired from opening the door of a 'Vette. A vipor can be opened but not a 'Vette. The side door is imperative as well. Be certain the trailer has balancing weights inside the door or you will not be able to handle it.
We computer designed the placement of the weight of the 'Vette over the axles. I recommend four wheel electric brakes as well.
The other questions to answer relate to the lighting in the trailer. Mine has a light for each tie down and I have six. Two on each side in front and one per side in back(6000#). I select the set in front depending on the length of the car I am carrying. I pull the front tie downs straight and of course criss cross the back which is imperative. ONe othe thing relates to the 110 volt electric service capabilities. I recommend the installation of the service.
The trailer tracks like a train.
Call me at 713 725 9486 (cell) and we can talk further. I love towing the trailer and you might also. I do not care about the work. It is fun and why I do it. I also like putting my car up at night.
Hope this is not too late and helps.
Reagan Sirmons
Pres

Reagan Sirmons
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Larry W,
I have a 27 foot enclosed Shadow with the fold down tail gate plus the extended 6 feet ramps. We can load a Nascar one inch off the ground. I recommend the extra ramps and extra supports for the fold down tail gate. Be certain the trailer has jacks on each side to support the trailer when you are loading. The trailer will drop as much as 4 inches. In addition, the floor of the trailer should be raised via the reversal of the axles so the door of the 'Vette will open more easily. However, without ramps inside the trailer to raise the car, you will still be impaired from opening the door of a 'Vette. A vipor can be opened but not a 'Vette. The side door is imperative as well. Be certain the trailer has balancing weights inside the door or you will not be able to handle it.
We computer designed the placement of the weight of the 'Vette over the axles. I recommend four wheel electric brakes as well. You would also enjoy having 110 volt capabilities.
The other questions to answer relate to the lighting in the trailer. Mine has a light for each tie down and I have six. Two on each side in front and one per side in back(6000#). I select the set in front depending on the length of the car I am carrying. I pull the front tie downs straight and of course criss cross the back which is imperative. The trailer tracks like a train.
Call me at 713 725 9486 (cell) and we can talk further. I love towing the trailer and you might also. I do not care about the work. It is fun and why I do it. I also like putting my car up at night.
Hope this is not too late and helps.
Reagan Sirmons
Pres

Will Garner
11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Larry,

Reagan has hit on the perfect solution to your dilemma. Sell the stinking Government Motors 'Vette and trade up to a Viper. Oh yeah, sounds good to me!

Of course if you are really tied tight to the 'Vette you could do the country boy solution. Jack that baby up and slide a 4x4 frame under the plastic body! Goes anywhere four down and you reduce the possibility of getting paint chips because of the increase in bumper height!

Gee, I wonder which would draw more attention, a 'Vette equipped with Blue Ox base plates for towing four down or a jacked up 4x4 equipped one?

Seriously, oh you thought this was a serious commentary - not, I do hope you solve your dilemma soon so you can have a little peace of mind.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Will,

Have you been in the shine again?

No Corvette owner (real long term owners never ever call them Vettes) will ever consider a Viper. Ever.

Putting a 4 X 4 chassis under a Corvette is like making a stretch limo out of a Viper. It's just plain dumb. It's a southern thing.

Will Garner
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Jon,

You are right. Perhaps the solution then is for Larry B to load his Corvette into the trailer. Then his wife or significant other could close the trailer doors and proceed to drive the bus to its destination. That way Larry would not have to worry about dinging the plastic door on the inside of the trailer!

As for the Corvette owners not ever chosing a Viper over a Corvette, well it is amazing what Madison Avenue advertisements can do to some peoples brain cells. Comparing the Corvette against the Viper in testing and real world racing events, the Viper has been putting the bite on the Corvette since it was first introduced to the car world.:D

How all this relates to Prevost is beyond me. Maybe we all have too much time on our hands which of course is the devil's work!;)

Larry W
11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Well the thoughts of taking our Corvette have been put off for a while. Trading our GM corvette for a Viper? You mean the thing that Fiat is closing down the production in 2010. Owing an orphan coach is one thing but owning a Fiat supported car is another. The Viper is fast but our Corvette is much faster than we will ever see. Have to settle for a meer 436 horsepower.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm stuck with a mere 505 HP and the knowledge I will never drive the car anywhere close to its potential.

I am sure that the Viper is a fast capable car, but I am also sure Viper owners with rare exception also never get their cars performing anywhere near their potential.

And Will, do some research on the ZR1. And for those who want to bring the family when they drive high performance cars check our the Cadillac CTS-V.

flyu2there
11-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Jon,

Step up to the plate...grab a MB McLaren 722s..0-60 in 3 seconds. The family car, how about a MB S65 AMG........604 HP Twin turbo'd V-12. These are both rather freakie fast ultimate luxury cars, set you back about 800k for the pair, the gas guzzler tax will buy the Cadillac of which you speak! :D

Will Garner
11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Jon,

Had one once. Didn't like the experience. Am not looking for one in my future.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned for reliability. And that was supposed to be GM's finest product at the time. Heck, my 1966 Dodge Town Wagon that I bought as surplus property from the State of NC was way better than that Caddy junk. Bought that Dodge for $500.00 with 42,000 miles on it. Drove it to 92,000 miles then decided to put in an old 392 ci Hemi. Drove it to 142,000 miles and sold it for, $500.00. I did have one experience against a 'Vette and the 'Vette lost!:D I guess the 'Vette owner didn't want to run his 'Vette to its fullest potential.:cool: Ah those were the days ....

Jon Wehrenberg
11-12-2009, 08:29 AM
That is not your father's Cadillac. GM is finally getting their head out of their butts and is producing some good reliable cars.

John, If I wanted to spend $800,000 on a motor vehicle(s) me and Dave W (either one) would be talking.

Xtreme James
01-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't have a Corvette, or a Viper, but I do have a Camaro that runs 0 to 60 in 1.1 seconds.

Orren Zook
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't have a Corvette, or a Viper, but I do have a Camaro that runs 0 to 60 in 1.1 seconds.

hmm does that means sub 8's in the quarter?

Xtreme James
01-15-2010, 09:55 PM
7.80's @ 170+ It made a little over 1400 hp on the dyno.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
So @ Jon's normal speed of driving, he could ONLY drive this car for 1.42 seconds? :p

Sounds resonable.

I am sure I would leak all over myself driving something that fast, but hey the good news is, I would be going so fast I wouldn't even get wet. ? :o :D

Looks like fun, bring it to our next rally so everybody can take a turn in it?

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I get 28 MPG, Jim gets 28 GPM (gallons per mile)