PDA

View Full Version : Knock - Knock, Who's There

dreamchasers
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, after enjoying a great rally and even greater camaraderie, our rally experience has come to an end. After returning home from a dinner with several friends and saying our goodbys to all. Our coach is ready to hit the road in the morning, or so I thought. Lee took out our dog for the final outing for night and I was relaxing in my easy chair, settling in for the evening, then I heard a "knock, knock" on the door. I went to the door and it was Lee, she could not open the door!

After a few moments of panic, I started removing the door panel from the inside while Lee not so patiently waited outside in the drizzling rain. The door latch, the part you pull on to open the door from the outside, had broken. A center pivot that is welded to the inside of the door latch had broken so when you pull the handle, the door mechanism does not function. I was able to open the door from the inside and let Lee (and Lucky) in.

If any POG members want to see this failure, see me tomorrow morning at the farewell breakfast and I will be glad to "show and tell."

We will contact Prevost Parts in the morning and hopefully pick up a new part at Prevost Fort Worth tomorrow afternoon.

If this failure would have happened and we were both outside, the problem would have escalated considerably.

Can you imagine?

FYI

Hector

jack14r
10-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Hector this is a common problem with XL and XLII,Prevost has an updated kit which is much stronger,I had it installed on my 05 Liberty after a friend got locked out of his 97 Vantari.In about 06 Prevost updated their production and all newer coaches have the new handle.

jack14r
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM
The part numbers are listed in Ah Houston I think we have a problem,Entrance door won't open-4-08.

dreamchasers
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, I made it to Prevost Fort Worth to pick up my door handle assembly. The part costs $103. I installed the replacement door handle this afternoon and all is normal again.

My inquires with Prevost Fort Worth indicated that the upgrade that was previously mentioned is for the XLII and does not apply to the XL.

As a side bar, when I was getting the coach ready to go, leaving the rally, the entry door was inadvertently shut with no one in the coach, OUCH! I won't say who shut the door, but she said she was sorry. Anyway, Luckily I was able to open the door by sticking the upper arm of a hack saw holder (the part that is bent into a 90 degree angle) through the 3/4 hole in the handle and trip the entry door release, Whew!

I will make up a emergency entry tool and post the dimensions. This is a handle thing to throw in the basement bay. Having one will surely mean you will never have the need for it. Ha Ha!

We are in Fort Worth tonight visiting with the grandkids before heading to Livingston tomorrow.

Hector

truk4u
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Good job Hector, I'll be watching for that homemade tool..;)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Hector this is a common problem with XL and XLII,Prevost has an updated kit which is much stronger,I had it installed on my 05 Liberty after a friend got locked out of his 97 Vantari.In about 06 Prevost updated their production and all newer coaches have the new handle.

Hector, sorry to hear about your close call with being almost left out in the cold? :)

I heard at last years POG rally in Seiverville, TN about the XLII Handle recall, and had mine replaced at Prevost Ft. Worth in the last year, during one of my many Prevost visits? :D Has worked great since the replacement.

Gary S.