PDA

View Full Version : Another windshield casualty...

phorner
09-27-2009, 02:20 PM
We met up with Harry and Shirley last night in Albuquerque and headed out this morning for Amarillo.

As we're nicely cruising eastbound on I-40, a tractor trailer passes me and I hear the dreaded POP!

I knew by the sound it wouldn't be pretty and, sure enough, within a minute or two, I could see a crack extending down from the top of the windshield.

Harry helped me put a dab of Silicone on the initial chip site to try to keep the crack from spreading further.... we'll see how successful we were.

So.... if anyone has a spare windshield in OKC, I'll be in the market. maybe a demo of a windshield installation would be in order ?:eek:

See ya there

Jon Wehrenberg
09-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Our resident windshield replacement expert Ray Davis should be able to show you how to do that. I have the tool. You need the windshield. I might be able to help.

lonesome george
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I have 2 XL windshields of the $79.00 variety if someone needs them. Planning to bring them to OKC priced for a quick sale.

Pete
09-27-2009, 03:51 PM
George, I would like one of your windshields. Thanks Pete

lonesome george
09-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Pete,
You shall have one!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Looks like another windshield replacement seminar.

Pete
09-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks George. I need to find a place to store it in the bus, I guess in the rear closet.
Jon, I want the windshield for a spare, and hope I never have to use it. I would however watch another seminar on the replacement if we have one.

lonesome george
09-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Pete,
I carry mine in the closet. The foam packing Prevost uses in the shipping boxes is handy, I'll bring some for you, with that and some pillows, blankets or sleeping bags you will be set.

Pete
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks I appreciate your help. Pete

phorner
09-27-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll be happy to purchase a windshield, George.

Guess I'll be sponsoring a window replacement seminar!

Thanks!!!

GDeen
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear about the seminar - sorry it is at your expense Paul. Please let us know details about the show and do....

Jon Wehrenberg
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
At the risk of minimizing this, a windshield is a 45 minute job for an XL. Ray had never done one before and after he watched Dale J. do the driver's side, Ray did the passenger side, start to finish, 45 minutes.

I suspect it will happen impromptu and be done before you know it. Another mystery that Prevost would just as soon not have us know.

phorner
09-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks to Lonesome George, I will have a windshield.

So, it looks real good for the seminar to take place as promised..

Volunteers welcome......spectators expected! :)

phorner
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, the windshield casualty has been successfully treated. The new windshield is in place and the old cracked one is in the dumpster.

Thanks to George Phillips for bringing along a spare windshield, Jon Wehrenberg and Jim Chaloupka for supplying the tools and a BIG THANK YOU to Ray Davis for his "hands on" help, without which I would have been lost.

And, of course, the project wouldn't have been complete without the dozen or so spectators/supervisors/advisors offering moral support and encouragement.