PDA

View Full Version : Blue Beacon Truck Washes

merle&louise
09-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Have any of you ever used Blue Beacon Truck Washes to clean your bus?

http://www.bluebeacon.com/LocationInformation/LocationList/default.aspx

More and more campgrounds are discourging washing on the site pads. That doesn't leave too many places to wash your coach.

I have used a truck wash on I-20 around Dallas, and I was very satisfied with the results. They pressure washed, scrubed the tires and rims with soapy brushes, and dried the windows and windshields.

I googled truck washes and came up with Blue Beacon Truck Washes.

Has anybody tried them?

Sid Tuls
09-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I have tried them twice and the bus came out dirtier than when it went in:confused: I would look for some other Truck washes that are not a chain. I would ask if they dry the whole outside and be careful of them using high pressure washers on your bus!!! I've had friends have trouble with them putting to much pressure on window seals and around vents and the next thing you have water leaks. If I were you I look in the phone book for mobile car washers or RV detailing I believe you will be happier in the long run:D P.S. The nickname for them is "STREAKING BEACON"

truk4u
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Tuga,

I would never take a bus to any mechanical truck wash. Hand wash and hose rinse with no pressure washer. Sometimes you can find the mobile guys that will do it the old fashion way. May cost a little more, but it's worth it.

PS - Never, never let them get on your roof!

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Tuga, I've used Blue Beacon one time, by Erie,PA to get winter road salt off the bus.

They did a fine job with no trouble. I gave explicit instructions as to what I wanted and didn't want and they complied and provided what I thought was a good wash.

I stood right in the room with the guys and bus the whole time.

There are three Blue Beacon wash sites around OKC. I plan on trying one before the rally.

JIM

Sid Tuls
09-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Jim, I'm just curious what did you have them do? I assume it was winter time-were you not concerned about the brushes and dirty buckets on the stainless steel? I was worried about them making a mess on the stainless:confused: Did they high pressure the roof?

Kevin Erion
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
"STREAKING BEACON" Never ever............................!

GDeen
09-25-2009, 11:16 PM
I guess the question is, does Twin Fountains allow washing??

HarborBus
09-26-2009, 12:18 AM
What does everyone use if you wash your bus yourself? Long handled brush? What kind? Old fashion wash pad? What kind?:confused:

merle&louise
09-26-2009, 08:25 AM
What does everyone use if you wash your bus yourself? Long handled brush? What kind? Old fashion wash pad? What kind?:confused:

I use an extendable long handle brush with NuTone Car Wash (streak free). I have tried using pressure washers but they don't remove the road grime like soap and water and a soft bristle brush. I use a 12' extension pole & a Shurhold #960 brush. Then I squeegy the windows for a spot free finish.

It's fairly easy but time consuming. Takes about 2 hours.

My reason for the post was that I am getting lazy in my old age and I was looking for a way to clean the coach that was quick and easy.

ajducote
09-26-2009, 08:56 AM
I guess the question is, does Twin Fountains allow washing??

I asked this question when I arrived. This is the answer I got.

No problem washing the front of the bus to get the bugs off.
No washing with a hose, waste to much water.
You can wash using a bucket and sponge or rag.

I used a 5 gallon bucket and a micro fiber cloth and got things pretty clean.

Now, I have observed a few people using a hose to wash their rv. So maybe the rules are not that strict. I have to believe that they expect Prevost owners to want to wash their bus.

So I guess the bottom line is, see what happens when you get here. Not a very good answer is it.

merle&louise
09-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Andre,

When we were in Kerrville for the Fat Beagle Rally, I started washing my coach and when I was half way thru I was told to stop by a Buckhorn employee. They cited a lack of water. Made sense to me since the creek bed was dry!

Pete Petree told me that he uses a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle & a micro towel. I tried it and it works very well; however, it takes a long time to do the entire coach. A lot of up & down on the ladder to get to the higher sides of the coach. But it does use less water.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Sid, I think the Beacon wash thing depends on the specific wash location and their attitude, adding to that the attitude and willingness and capability of the help to do a good job. You know just like going to a service center or the Doctor, or calling an electrician into your home.

Yes my beacon wash was in the winter and I wanted the salt off the bus. It was a sunny dry day and below freezing. Had I left it on there would have been far worse consequences than a "bad wash". I was worried about what "bad" might happen, but went ahead anyway and was pleasantly surprised with a good job. I can't say for sure if that is the norm or the exception, but I am going to try again.

I have some areas of loose paint and pointed them out to the "washer" and he said no problem and the paint is still there. I asked for no acid or harsh chemicals and not to have the pressure too high. I was assured that was the norm and not to worry. They (2 washers) began to wet the whole bus down with a general spray blowing all the loose "stuff/dirt" off around the bus in a circle twice and then with long handled soft wide brushes, went around the bus vertically stroking. After that they sprayed it again and from what I remember I was done. I was very nervous and followed them around as they went.

Oh yes at one point they sprayed out the wheel wells and wheels and I opened the four engine compartment doors to have the doors and the frame edges and bumper top edges washed only. NO ENGINE SPRAYING!

I told the guys up front I would give them a tip if they would do what I asked. I don't know if that was necessary or the norm.

While waiting in line for the wash I asked others waiting (nice looking trucks) if they have had any negative experiences around the country and none had.

I believe the wash I went to used "treated water" soft water of some sort. I don't know if all do.

So from that because it was so easy I will try again. I hope it will go well again.

I OKC there are three Beacon washes. I decided to try the one a little south and to the East of the rally, the manager put his picture in the add and seemed to convey a certain "proudness" of his facility. This may be a foolish assessment, but there is nothing else. Time will tell.

Life is a crap shoot anyway, isn't it:eek:

ps I
If you pulled out on a 100 deg day you might get some spotting when the water drys right now, but you could pull to the side and dry it yourself if you wanted. That would be easier than washing and drying it yourself.

pps
If you try a wash and there is no line be sure to let the bus cool off from your highway run so as not to distort etc any hot bus parts!!!

JIM

garyde
09-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Depending on how much time you want to spend, there is a waterless car wash, and protective glaze product. DRI WASH N' GUARD.
It sprays on and wipes off. Takes a lot of time however.
Are they going to have private detail company's at the park. That is the best alternative if the park objects to washing.
I would hope this has been discussed with the park since it is a important part of our groups necessary tasks when we arrive.
I have not been to a POG rally yet where both washing by individuals and private contractors were not allowed.:)

chtree
09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm really new at it but a good friend told me to try Maguires (pink Bottle) and it seems to work real well. I use a lot of water first soak it then a lot of soap and a soft brush. I haven't squeegeed yet but it seems to leave very few spots. Also does OK on the bugs.

Chris

merle&louise
09-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Depending on how much time you want to spend, there is a waterless car wash, and protective glaze product. DRI WASH N' GUARD.
It sprays on and wipes off. Takes a lot of time however.
Are they going to have private detail company's at the park. That is the best alternative if the park objects to washing.
I would hope this has been discussed with the park since it is a important part of our groups necessary tasks when we arrive.
I have not been to a POG rally yet where both washing by individuals and private contractors were not allowed.:)

Hi Gary,

I used a RV washing service at Buckhorn a few years ago when I had my 93 Newell. They used a strong chemical to wash it with and rinsed with soft water. They didn't rinse it thoroughly enough and it left some streaks on the dark blue paint. That was the last time I used the RV washing service.

I'm sure that not all washing service do this, but if you have one wash your bus you might want to watch them closely.

bluevost
09-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I have tried Beacon Bay on several occasions in several different states. They suck!! I would rather drive my bus dirty than give them anymore of my Lew Bucks.

In Kansas City, MO making our way to OKC,

Ken

merle&louise
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Are there any other truck washes that do a better job than Blue Beacon or are they all about the same?

The one that I used on I-20 outside of Dallas was an independent and they did a great job. The rate was kind of high I thought, $90.00

They offered to wash the roof; I declined. They dried the windows and aluminum rims.

phorner
09-26-2009, 09:51 PM
That does sound high. I paid $50 in Pahrump for a private guy to wash the bus. No high pressure, hand wash and wipe down.

Not as good as I would do, but it was a BIG improvement over the 3,000 miles of dust, dirt, bugs and grime that had accumulated.

Still prefer to do it myself..... probably because NO ONE will care more about the outcome than me.

Jeff Bayley
09-27-2009, 02:22 AM
I've used Blue Beacon dozens of times. I tell them to stay away from the drivers side windwon where water gets in and they do. If you tell them up front that what the main things you want is they'll keep washing until they get it done such as "I want all the bugs gone off the fron and front cap".

I always make sure I'm ready to hit the Hwy as soon as they are done and this helps prevent water spots since it air dries sort of.

Also, it seems no matter how dirty it get's, if you do decide to wash the bus, you can usually get by with just washing the bottom half most of the time. The road grime even in the rain just doesn't seem to get above head high usually.

One last thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned. Blue Beacons are in the habit of using harsh chemicals on alluminum trck trailers or their rims. You should tell them you don't want any of those chemicals. Just soap.

As far as what product to use yourself, good old kitchen soap like Joy or similar is just as good as anything else. One less product to keep on board.

Warning: I used a green Scotch pad to try and get some stubborn stuff on my front windows and rubbed so hard it permantley scratched the glass in that area. One of the reaosns I tried getting in on the group window thing. Did that ever happen ?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I too have tried several of the Blue Beacon wash places, and have found ONLY one which I really liked the job.

The BB outside of Casa Grande, AZ. http://www.bluebeacon.com/details/CasaGrande/

They Offer at additional cost HAND DRYING under large blue tents. And most do not offer this additional service. Man those girls and guys did a great job. Total wash includining tips for washers and dryers, $120.00

Gary S.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-27-2009, 09:24 AM
My BB wash by Erie PA was $35, no hand job.

JIM;):D

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I placed a call to Twin Fountains RV to see if the manager can line up some compaies that would be interested in cleaning our rigs when we arrive?

They will let me know if they allow companies to come in and wash our rigs, or if they have anybody for us to call, just as soon as the manager gets out of Church?

More to follow.

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
My BB wash by Erie PA was $35, no hand job. JIM;):D

I have heard, hand jobs always cost more ! :eek: :D

Gary S.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Yup, they do cost more, but their sure the added after glow ;):D

JIM

Jerry Winchester
09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
There is a self service truck wash about 300 yards east of the front gate of Twin Fountains. It even has spot not water. I use this place all the time and take my bucket and scrub brush. It also takes credit cards, so you don't have to sit there with a Truk-Pot-Load-Of-Quarters.

I have also used truck washes with mixed results. I have been to the same one Spongebob hit in Casa Grande and they did an excellent job. There was one here in Houston right by the Flying J that hand washed, rinsed with dionized water and hand dried for $50 that also did a good job, so it really depends on the place, your level of instuctions and your willingness to supervise the job if they don't seem to know what they are doing.

Alternately, I have my spot-not pressure washer that I carry in the bay that will turn any empty parking lot or rest area into a bus wash, so that is usually the best option.

lonesome george
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
The self service thing is going to work great for me.
Thanks for the low down and dirty Jerry.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-27-2009, 07:37 PM
I just got a call from Crystal @ Twin Fountains. They will have an onsite RV Detailing Service in the park from the 1st to the 4th? They are called Sparkle on the Spot.

I couldn't find them in the Yellow pages so not sure what there price is, but you can negotiate your rate and promise to bring friends to their door. :)

"Or Maybe Jim Skiff, should contact them, and get all of us a SPECIAL POG Rally discounted price? :o How about it Jim S, see what you can do for us, dude?" Or maybe JDUB will just wash everybodys bus this week for FREE. :eek:

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Well Spongebob, why don't you just jump on this since you only got half of it done. And if you want, I'll give you your first lesson in bus washing since I know you and Loc just call the porter to get it done. I'll bring the gear and tell you where to place the brush. Oh, wait....I'll need a bigger brush.

truk4u
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
So, can we wash at our site or not?

Sid Tuls
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Tom,just do it and tell them that Harry H. said it was OK:p

Jim Skiff
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Tom,

They have the five gallon bucket rule at Twin Fountains.

I asked Crystal to get us a price list on the detail guy.

Jim

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Since JDUB made me feel bad, :p I contacted the owner myself of Sparkle on the Spot about his detail service on campers and got his pricing.

Skiff, I am not trying to take anything away from you, just trying to help?

Sparkle on the Spot, is emailing me a specific list of his services but for now, I will just outline what he told me over the phone.

SPECIAL POG PRICING $ 100.00

Hand Wash of entire bus ( Does Not Include Top of Bus )with Low Pressure Washer Water, High Quality Soaps Used Thoughout Job

Hand Towel Drying of entire vehicle

Detail of Tires and Wheels

Hand Cleaning of Front Windows with Approved Window Cleaner / MicroFiber Towels.

He can also do a DETAILED HAND WAX for an Additional Price, that you agree too, when you get there.

If you are interested in his services, please email Eric directly, your name, Site #, Mobile Phone, and when you anticipate arrinving in the park.
EIDSONED@AOL.COM or call him when you get to the park, 817-781-2577

Some MARATHON owners may have to pay DOUBLE this price!!!!!! :eek: and you know who you are.

Gary S.

BUSTER
09-28-2009, 08:16 PM
This is not a good price. we spend March in Indio. There are 2 services that come to the park...hand work with roof $85. I always get the roof done...I think it is $70 or $80 if they do not have to go on the roof...wax is $135.We must be getting the "special" Prevost price..." how much should we add?"
FYI

Jerry Winchester
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Mike,

To answer your retort, the State of Oklahoma or specifically the legislature passed the first law in the land the prohibits illegal aliens from working, living or collecting welfare or applying for any other state sponsored program in Oklahoma.

As a result, all the illegal aliens left the state and now reside in California washing RVs at high end resorts while awaiting their admission to the state funded college of their choice.

But I'm still washing my own coach. And California has better tacos.

BrianE
09-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Took JDUB's tip and washed at the coin/plastic op truck wash before check-in today. Total was $15.00 for bus and toad. Lots of soap, clean bubble brushes, not spot water as promised. Whatever he lacks in taco-stand raves was more than made up for today. :) Thanks Jerry.

bluevost
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey POGgers,

I used the American Eagle truck wash today. Exit 140 off I-40, north side of freeway, west side of street, just past the TA. (This is west of OKC.) $40.00 for the bus, $10.00 for the toad. Great wash, spot free rinse, no drying. I pulled in back at the TA and Janet and I dried her off. I forgot how nice a clean bus looks. Will check in at Rally site tomorrow. Boondocking at Cracker Barrel tonight.

Making our way to OKC, almost there,

Ken

Bill1170
10-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Just want to add my experience at a wash. I was told they would not use chemicals but afterwards I had many streaks on the paint and stainless steel. Even after using my invisible chamois to rinse it still is streaking . Dont know if this is the way all are but did not like the one I went to.
Bill C

dale farley
10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
As much money as we dump into any park where we have a rally, I think it should be a prerequisite that we can was our bus unless there is truly a water shortage.

tdelorme
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
As much money as we dump into any park where we have a rally, I think it should be a prerequisite that we can was our bus unless there is truly a water shortage.

That was my thought when I saw the 5 gal bucket rule post awhile back. I have to agree with Dale, if there is no local water shortage, coach washing should be included in the contract.