PDA

View Full Version : OKC bound from the East Coast

rickdesilva
09-24-2009, 09:25 PM
We're heading out from the Right coast Wednesday of next week. The route seems pretty easy. The plan is to take 78 to 81 to 40 into OKC. Any comments or opinions on the route would be appreciated.

MangoMike
09-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Rick,

I think the important questions to ask is what BBQ joints should we be hitting as we head West. I too will be taking I-40.

mm

BUSTER
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Rick,

I am in Saddle River until Sunday. Fly back to LA on Sunday and leave for OKC with Gary on Tuesday.

bonhall41
09-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Is anyone else heading west from the Gulf Coast or anywhere in Florida? We're planning to leave on Tuesday, heading west on I-10 and then north.

Bonnie

rickdesilva
09-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Buster
I'm right down the street usually hanging my hat at the Hyundai store in Mahwah. I'll drop you a PM.
Mango
I'll keep my eye out for you, we're leaving NJ wednesday morning maybe we'll see you at a BAR B Q stop.

Danss
09-25-2009, 07:51 AM
We are heading west from Ms. coast on Wed. followed by Ed & Sandy from key West. Probaly go I-10 to lafayette La.:) and North to Shreveport to spend 1st night at Diamondjacks. Not sure about times and route as I will defer to the old man , Ed. Will know more in a couple days so come join us. Dan & Jo

hobobimmer
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Rick,

I think the important questions to ask is what BBQ joints should we be hitting as we head West. I too will be taking I-40.

mm

Mike:

Were I you, I'd focus my BBQ choices in Memphis (none of that "beef as BBQ" stuff in Memphis, unless of course the customer is a tourist who might not know better). Interstate BBQ on South Third was always good when we were there. We loved Leonards, which had a few locations. For those of you who do eat "beef as BBQ," I am just kidding (I know you Texans, especially, eat beef as BBQ, so no offense intended).

In Memphis:

Tourists focus on Rendezvous downtown and Corky's out east on Poplar Avenue (just inside the I-240 loop). Corky's was good, but I was never a big fan of the Rendezvous experience.

Another favorite was Cozy Corner (a little north and east of downtown, near St. Jude's Childrens Hospital, across from a housing project). I think it was on Summer Avenue. They have BBQ balogna sandwiches (get super hot sauce if you try there). I never ate their regular BBQ so I can not comment on it at that store - but the BBQ bologna was spectacular).

Our absolute favorite during our 18 years in Memphis, eating BBQ at least once a week for 18 years, was Lois' BBQ north of Summer Avenue on Waring. I was always a sandwich eater (never ribs for me) at each of these restaurants, so my recommendations are sandwich based. I liked the meat already removed from the bone so less effort for me. Always put slaw on the sandwich. Hopefully Lois' is still in business - it's been a few years since we moved away from Memphis.

Deb's favorite rib place (Willinghams) was closed last time we went, but Willinghams popped up in a few different places around town at different times, so he might be up and running somewhere again now. His sandwiches and fried dill pickles were always great, too. Sauces were great, too.

Those are my Memphis favorites.

With each of these locations, you might (probably will) have some difficulty getting a bus in their parking lots. You might have to detach tow vehicle.

Bozos in Mason, TN was a popular place with good BBQ, but it will take you off of I-40 a little bit north.

You'll be full when you leave Memphis, if you eat at each of these places.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

kenrobertson
09-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Ben and I are leaving Clearwater Tue. AM. Heading north on 75 to 10 west - Haven't decided where to cut north yet - This thread is making me hungry. I thought one of the main reasons for owning a coach was so you DIDN'T have to eat in restaurants every where you went. See yall in OKC.

Ken

Jeff Bayley
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Ken-

We are in Sarasota / Bradenton. Not sure what day your leaving or who else from Florida is going. I'm actually no 100% sure yet but I'm going to excert myself to get loose ends tied up in order to go. Maybe you or others want to convoy there ?

kenrobertson
09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Jeff - We are leaving Tue morning around 8:30 and meeting up with Dave Wishnoff around Gainsville late morning - We still haven't decided exactly which route we're taking, but you are welcome to join us.

Ken

Jeff Bayley
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Ken- Wow, that was a fast reply. Do you get a text message notificaion or something ? Turn me onto that.

Ok, good then to convoy up. I presume you guys are going to boon dock at a rest area if needed rather than track down RV parks along the way ?

Ray Davis
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Jeff, you can subscribe to any thread or forum, and you will get an email sent to you when a new post comes in. Simply go to "Thread Tools" at the top of any specific thread, and click on "Subscribe to this Thread".

If you would rather, you can subscribe to a complete forum. To do that, click on the top level icon just under the bus which reads "Prevost Owners Group Forum". From there, click on any forum you'd like. At the top of the forum navigation you'll find "Forum Tools". Pull down and select "Subscribe to this Forum"

Make sure your email address is correct in your User control panel.

Now, you can get email whenever you'd like.

Ray

Ray Davis
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Jeff,

PS: If you want a text message, set up a mail rool in your mail application on your main computer, or via your ISP (depending upon where you get email). Look for email from the forum, and you can automatically forward it to your cellphone. Most every cellphone vendor has a way of sending an email to a cellphone where the email address is like: xxx-xxx-xxxx@att.com or similar. Check with your cellphone vendor.

Then, you would get a text message whena new post arrived.

Ray

Ray Davis
09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Last PS:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/10/28/send-free-text-message-with-hundreds-of-email-to-sms-gateway-or-internet-web-sms-from-operator/

Gives a listing of the email addresses to send text messages for most of the US carriers.

Note, there is a limit on most carriers of 100-255 characters for the text message, so it might get clipped, but you would have at least a notification.

Ray

kenrobertson
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Jeff -

Yes, we will hit rest areas or Wal-Mart's along the way. We're not in a huge rush, so we will probably spend two nights on the road. Wishnoff says Map-Quest has it about 150 miles shorter to cut thru Alabama and hit 40 at Memphis........B-B-Q anyone? We might be stopping in Fort Smith to pick up another coach, which is another reason to take 40. Aynbody else? The More The Merrier!

Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't say for sure where we will stop, but tentative plans for us are to leave here Tuesday AM and overnight somewhere just west of the OK line on I-40. We will finish out the trip on Wednesday.

We both want to leave plenty of time Wednesday after we check in to goof off, I want to clean the coach up and we both want to start a concerted effort to do nothing because these past two weeks have been tough.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I thought one of the main reasons for owning a coach was so you DIDN'T have to eat in restaurants every where you went. See yall in OKC.Ken

Ken, Do you know what Prevost Owners make for Dinner? :confused:

:D RESERVATIONS :D

Gary S.

Will Garner
09-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Our plans are to leave Southern Pines at sun up on Wednesday, overnight around Memphis, TN then take Thursday to get to OKC before dark. We will be on I-40 from Mocksville, NC with the Cobra CB on listening for other westbound Poggers.

kenrobertson
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Gary - My wife must have been a Prevost owner in most of her past lives-

Ken

phorner
09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Our plans are to leave Southern Pines at sun up on Wednesday, overnight around Memphis, TN then take Thursday to get to OKC before dark. We will be on I-40 from Mocksville, NC with the Cobra CB on listening for other westbound Poggers.

Is there a POG CB channel??

Jim Skiff
09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I heard this guy is on his way! Note the very rare and collectible POG I Mango Mike's hat!

truk4u
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Count your fingers when you shake hands with that guy!;)

Will Garner
09-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Paul,

I leave mine on monitor for Channel 19. If some Poggers hook up on Channel 19 then they can decide what channel to go to. I think channel 19 is where you hear most of the truck traffic and channel 9 is emergency.

phorner
09-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Will.

Mine's usually on 19..... unless I forgot to switch from WX to CB :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
09-26-2009, 12:47 PM
We're on 19 also until the truckers get really foul mouthed or start arguing. If I wanted to hear idiots giving their opinion I would listen to C Span.

sawdust_128
09-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone travelling I-44 through Missouri, exit 210 for Missouri Hick Barbeque. Awesome pork and beef.Thursday night special is a 20 oz pork stake. Yum. Friday special is prime rib. We got there at about 7:30 and tehy were sold out, to bad. Had the brisket. Out of this world.

phorner
09-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I think we need to put together an official POG Reference Guide to Good Eats...

There's been a lot of great recommendations!

Seems oysters and BBQ rate highly with Prevost drivers :D

Jeff Bayley
09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Jeff,

PS: If you want a text message, set up a mail rool in your mail application on your main computer, or via your ISP (depending upon where you get email). Look for email from the forum, and you can automatically forward it to your cellphone. Most every cellphone vendor has a way of sending an email to a cellphone where the email address is like: xxx-xxx-xxxx@att.com or similar. Check with your cellphone vendor.

Then, you would get a text message whena new post arrived.

Ray

Ray- Thanks for the tips on email notification on threads. Didn't know that. I did know about using "email to tex" if you know the carrier to the person your texting but I usually do not so here's a trick I use. If I'm near the computer which I usually am and I get a text I want to reply to or I just want to text someone, I just use the "email to text" feature and text myself and then forward that text from my phone to them. From phone to phone, you don't need to know the carrier like you do if you sending it direct from email so that's why I email the text to myself first. It's a hell of lot easier than pecking on the phone even if you have a good QWERTY keyboard or display.

truk4u
09-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Eric,

This picture taken yesterday just for you!

merle&louise
09-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Tom,

Is that Jim Neely's Interstate BarBQue in Memphis?

The ribs are excellent!

truk4u
09-27-2009, 10:25 AM
That's it Tuga, they were pretty good..

Will Garner
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Tom,

Been there done that - just not in a Prevost. Where did you park? I might want to stop back by since we are planning to overnight somewhere around the Memphis area.

There is another joint whose name I can't recall right now. They have a 1950 Dodge pickup inside the building. I liked that - oh the food was excellent too.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
We are at a Cracker Barrel, in Sullivan,MO exit 225 off I-44.

Meeting up with Alek & Lucia tonight.

Anyone else close by?

JIM

truk4u
09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Will,

Sorry, I missed your post. We stayed at Graceland and drove the Jeep to Interstate.