PDA

View Full Version : Digital Aux Air Pressure Gauge

truk4u
09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Like many others, one thing missing in my Liberty is an aux air pressure gauge on the dash. To me, that gauge is important in order to see if I have enough aux air to make a level adjustment without the engine running, monitor the amount of cycles the compressor makes while keeping up with the suspension while driving, leaks while parked and finally to know the pressure my aux compressor is putting out.

So I installed a digital gauge by Air-Zenith that also gives the chassis battery voltage at start up for 60 seconds then the air pressure. Rather than tying it into the ignition, I hard wired with a switch so I can flip on/off as needed. Total cost about 80 bucks.

Aux air pressure

Chassis voltage

A little bling for the King

Sending unit in steering bay

Ray Davis
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
That is really nice Tom!

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Very nice Tom, it's a beautiful thing, just like LED's.

Oh yeah don't forget to sign up for the sporting clays.

JIM

rfoster
09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Truk: That's beautiful. Almost a work of art. I will look forward to touching it. Maybe even hold it for a minute.

My CC has one already from the Factory. That is the thing about the Liberty coach-- you can bling them up with necessities. :cool:

MangoMike
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Trukman,

I'm impressed!

mm

GDeen
09-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Very nice!

The list continues to grow:cool:

phorner
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Very cool, Tom.

Nice job!

tdelorme
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Nicely done. Do the old gage and new gage match in pressure readings??

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Nicely done. Do the old gage and new gage match in pressure readings??

Picky, Picky, Picky....:D

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Truk, We need to talk. One of the big pieces of data relates to how much pressure it takes for us to raise our coaches to ride height at each corner.

This is an opportunity for a techno-geek to be able to monitor that. Obviously the aux pressure is another good reading to have. It wouldn't hurt to have a small switch panel that lets a person that needs to know everything about the coach have the ability to check a whole series of pressures. We could add barometric pressure, coolant system pressure, manifold pressure, brake system pressures downstream from the relay valves, floor slide pressures, etc.

truk4u
09-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Ted - Actually the gauge in the steering compartment is pretty close to the digital.

Jon - Some of the old trucks used to have a pressure gauge in the dash group for brake pressure and I thought that was was good. It wouldn't be too difficult to tap into the brake system and this gauge can read two different pressures by installing a single throw double pole switch. It would be easy to see how much pressure it takes from the aux to move air bags, so I may do a little experimenting while hooked up to shop air.

rfoster
09-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Jon:
Jdub needs holding tank pressure.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Re: JDUB's holding tank pressure.......I am not sure pressure gauges go to infinity.

Truk,

I had a little tongue in cheek on the gauges and what we could monitor, but I for one would be interested in doing some instrumentation because apart from satisfying a bit of curiosity, gauges on each air bag system (L Rear, R Rear, Front) would provide not only a lot of information, but would also be used to measure system health.

tdelorme
09-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Jon, could you install a Schrader valve on each line you wanted to monitor and then use a system like Doran or Pressure Pro to see where the pressures are?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Yes. That would work, but I'll bet it would be pricy. With a little wiring a system could be created to monitor a bunch of points using one gauge and some switching, such as a rotary dial switch.

lloyd&pamela
09-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks this is just what I need to install. The link is here, http://www.air-zenith.com/products.asp?cateid=24&id=36&expandable=4&menuid=2436