PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Clay Shoot - OKC Rally

Jerry Winchester
09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Last one of these I promise.

We have an opportunity to shoot at a great sporting clay venue just north of OKC on Monday. This place, Silverleaf, is generally not open on Monday but because of a National Guard shoot, they will be able to accomodate us on an alternate course. I have shot here several times and it is very well done.

Anyway, to make this fit my schedule of having to lead the rig tour in the morning, I think the best thing to do is set it up for the afternoon. We can either take our lunch out there or hit a place on the way then schedule the shooting to start at 1pm.

So, I need to know;

(1) How many plan on shooting with us Monday afternoon?

(2) Do you need a shotgun?

(3) Eat lunch on the way or take your lunch?

(4) Do you need a ride out there?

(5) Do you need shooting glasses and ear plugs?

I have four carts available for us so some can walk and some can ride, but at least we can put all our gear on the carts.

You will need a minimum of 100 rounds and if you need to warm up or have any do-overs, I would say its closer to 120 rounds. You can buy shells there, but buying them at Academy or BPS or WalMart might be a little cheaper.

Lastly, you do not need much, if any, experience to enjoy this. If you can shoulder and fire a shotgun and not shoot any of us in the process, then a good time is waiting for you. We had quite a few first time shooters in Sevierville and Branson, so don't be afraid to try this out. Shooting sporting clays is like playing golf with a shotgun, so if you want to know more about it, send me a note and I will fill you in.

BrianE
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow! This is going to be more fun than a trip to Disneyland! Count us in. Have shotguns, SG, EP, and room for two. Thanks Jerry.

kenrobertson
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Jdub -

Sign Dave Wishnoff , my date for the rally, and myself up for the shoot -

Two shooters
Lunch on the way
Have all our own gear and ride

Thanks for all the hard work and preparation,

Ken

GDeen
09-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Jerry,

one shooter
stop for lunch
have a ride - can carry 3 others
have own gear

Thanks for organizing all this.

(Ken you are a brave man dating Wishnoff:))

kenrobertson
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Gordon

He's lots of fun, but I make him bring his own coach.

Kevin Erion
09-16-2009, 02:01 PM
JDub,
One, nothing but a bad aim....need everything! Eat on the way.

Xtreme James
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I would like to sign up for the sporting clays, but I'm not a very good shot.

Jerry Winchester
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
James,

Do you have a gun / gear?

Being a good shot is not necessary. I think the Trukman hit about 10 out of 100, but if we had been shooting at sheep he would have aced it.

Xtreme James
09-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, I will even bring my spare over and under, if someone needs one.

kenrobertson
09-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Not a very good shot.....but he has a spare over n under! When he starts talking about Calcuttas we're all in trouble.

Danss
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
What size shot do you use? Trying to get shotgun to bring. Can carry 3 people. Do not have any other gear. Dan

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Jer, I would like to join ya'll in the Clay shooting.

I have shot before, but not in a long time.

I also need everything, shotgun, goggles, ear plugs, shells and permission from Peg? :o :D

I have a vehicle that can handle 5 including me.

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
I am going to shoot 8's or 9's depending on the target. I shoot some 7 1/2, but not anything larger than that.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm in for one entrant I have all the equipment.

I need a ride from some kindhearted soul. :)

JIM

tdelorme
09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Yea, I would like to do the clay shoot. Might need a ride but nothing else. If anyone needs to borrow a shotgun I can bring three or four extras. Thanks, Jerry.

Jerry Winchester
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
To all those who have extra guns and can bring them, please bring any extra gear you have. I think we have enough "stuff" between all of us to outfit the group.

Loc
09-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Count the fat beagle in as long as I don't have to be close to Spongebob with a gun.

hhoppe
09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Jerry you know I'll come equiped please let me know how many additional guns you want me to bring. I have Skiffer covered with his favorite he used in Branson. In addition to the gear Jerry mentioned it will help to bring a canvas bag with a belt or shoulder strap to carry your shells in. We also will have a car to carry 3 additional passengers. Sporting Clays will work with 410Ga, 28Ga.,20Ga, 16ga, or 12ga. Light target loads only, the range will not allow heavy duck or pheasant loads.
Don't be bashful you will have fun even as beginners , sign up. We'll keep you safe. Thanks for heading this up Jerry

garyde
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Count me in as well. I have one 12 Guage Shot Gun, Glasses and ear plugs.
It was a great time in Branson.

PLSNTVLE2
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Jerry,
Count me in. I have all of my own gear but I might need a ride to the club. Thanks..

Steve Bennett
09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Count me in, I can carry 3 in the car. I have not shot a shot gun in about 35 years, and would need all the equipment.

Thanks,
Steve

Ray Davis
09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I"m pretty sure I would like to go. I have a 12 guage that I haven't fired in probably 15+ years. Might need some help with an experienced person in cleaning and making sure that it's safe to fire!

Ray

lonesome george
09-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Count one more this sounds like a real good time, have not shot Sporting Clays in years and then only a time or two. I have all the stuff except a ride.

Thanks Jerry!

Richard Barnes
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Would love to join you but I'm in California now until OKC and will not be able to get my guns from Atlanta. Will have to borrow one from some kind soul!

Thanks,
Richard

truk4u
09-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Richard,

If you can get them to me by next Thursday, I can bring them to you!

BUSTER
09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Jerry,

I recently sold my 26" Browning Skeet 12 guage but still have my favorite Beretta 30" trap gun. Do you need something shorter than 30" to shoot sporting clays...have never done that. Count me in if the Beretta will work. I got the gear..."]I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!!![/B]
This is going to be fun.
Thanks

hhoppe
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Buster: TheBeretta will do fine with modified or improved modified choke. All others don't worry bring what you have.

Think Safety on the Range.

Richard Barnes
09-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Tom,

Thanks so much for the offer but I have no way to get them to you. Look forward to meeting you in OKC.

Richard

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Jerry, Please count Ed and I. We truly can't wait to join in again. Ed already has the Bag loaded. I promise to try and do better this time. Maybe I will get 2 this time.
Sandy

jelmore
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Jerry, I know it's late. I thought I would come out and just watch you guys shoot em up. We're in Tulsa and talked to a good friend gun collector and shooter. We're wondering if he could join us for the sporting clays. He could provide my shotgun, etc. It would be sporting if there's room for him.

Jerry Winchester
09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Jim,

I will count both of you in. I'm not going to turn in a final number to them until Saturday after the rally starts. I have to think there are some lurkers out there who would love to go do this and they just need some arm twisting (which we will do Friday night), and the reality is, we can add folks when we walk up to the place, but I wanted to try and get the guns / gear / shells all lined up and not have a fire drill between the drilling rig tour and lunch.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

JDUB

truk4u
09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Wal-Mart has trap loads for 20.97 per case. I bought 2 cases yesterday of # 8's.

Ray Davis
09-25-2009, 12:29 PM
So, I've dug up my old 12g. I haven't used it in at least 15 years, but it's been locked in an attic, inside a leather zip-up case.

After all these years, with a good cleaning, would this still be safe to fire? I would assume so, but will defer to those with more shooty experience. (shooty = technical term! :rolleyes:)

Also, I found two boxes of shells, which were probably brand new about the same time, i.e. 15+ years. Stored in a garage. Safe to use, or should I get rid of them and just purchase new?

Thanks for any help.

Ray

PS: If anyone would like to help me with a proper cleaning of my gun in OKC before the shoot, I would appreciate it.

phorner
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Ray,

I carry a gun cleaning kit with me (don't ask) and I'm sure there are brushes and swabs for shotgun cleaning.

Of course, there's bore cleaner and gun oil.... so if you need it, you're welcome to it.

tdelorme
09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Ray, the gun should be fine. Get one of us who shoots on a regular basis to take a look at it, but I can't imagine what could have happened in storage that would be a problem. The shells, well they are most likely fine, but if it were me, I would buy new ones. Bring them along and let's take a look. I'm bringing a thousand rounds of 12ga and will sell you whatever you need for $5.50 a box. Travel safe and we'll see you next week.

Ray Davis
09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Paul and Ted!! We'll see you there. The shotgun is under the bed!!

Wow, I'm almost ready to go! :D

ray

truk4u
09-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Ray,

Not to worry, we'll help you take it apart and clean it. Bring the ammo, they may or may not be good for skeet.

rfoster
09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
JDUB: If it is not too late sign me and the toolman Jim Keller up for the sheep shoot if it doesn't conflict with the oil rig visit. You have been spear heading both events and I know that is an extra load on a celebrity - but you are doing a fantastic job of it.

We just come out of the Cabellos store in Sidney Nebraska with a brand hammer new 12 gauge and a case of ammo. Also picked up a set of ear protection and safety glasses.

We is loaded for bear.
Colorado and Utah bound.