PDA

View Full Version : Parts needed in Flint Michigan - sources?

sawdust_128
09-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I am having coolant line issues. I have several lines that are just too old, brittle and fractured. Fortunately, I was camped when it happened. I had been experiencing a minor coolant leak. I was finding small amounts of coolant on various components below the expansion tank. The small diameter lines that connect to the expansion tank are all shot. I was spending the day going through the caoch before we dive south towards OKC. While poking around in the engine compartment, the source of the minor leak became apparent. as I investigated a bit further, it turned into a project of much larger proportions.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on a sourve for crimped hoses in the vicinity of Flint Michigan?

MangoMike
09-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Ed,

The only guys I know in Flint is Webasto USA headquarters. 1-800-555-4518,

Don't know if they could send you in the right direction.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
09-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Ed,

Look for a hose shop. In almost every metropolitan area there will be at least one shop that makes and sells hoses of every description with custom fittings.

10 years seems to be the magic number for hoses on our coaches with the possible exception of the high quality silicone hoses used on the engine.

tdelorme
09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
"10 years seems to be the magic number for hoses on our coaches with the possible exception of the high quality silicone hoses used on the engine."

Jon, are these hoses no longer available? I ask the guy doing my rebuild to replace all the hoses and belts and he said he would replace everything but the silicone hoses.

Orren Zook
09-14-2009, 08:19 AM
So, does anyone have a recommendation on a sourve for crimped hoses in the vicinity of Flint Michigan?

You might try Accurate Hydraulics, 3201 Richfield Rd in Flint, 810-736-2525.

jack14r
09-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Dusty,There always seems to be a WW Graingers in most of the larger cities.

Orren Zook
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Ted,

Silicon hose is still available, maybe your shop will do the silicon hose on an 'as needed' basis. Silicon hose is quite a bit more expensive than standard hose, maybe he's just trying to save you some money. When I went through my 8V a couple years ago I replaced all the hoses - even the silicon ones.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Ted, I haven't seen the need to repalce the silicon hoses because they last a very long time. Other hoses are pretty much junk after 10 years.

You can get the silicon hoses at a good hose shop. Bring your financial statement. They may require you to prove you can pay for them. They are a little pricey but they are very good.

sawdust_128
09-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the pointers. It turned out that if this had to happen anywhere, Flint was a great place. Within 6 miles of my camp site, I had approximately 26 parts places. I had 3 Truck dealers, International, Peterbuilt and Freightliner. I was parked at the campground next to a diesel mechanic, who was from Flint.

Mucho thanks to the great team at Car Quest at the corner of Rchfield and Dort Highway. I walked in, described the issues and they went to work. I had to go to four different sources to get everything, but the boys from Car Quest arranged it all.

On top of all that, the Annual Frankenmuth Car Show was in progress. I've never seen so many mechanics in one place at the same time.

Maybe I need to send another contribution to the Lady Of The Highways. ;)

rahangman
09-18-2009, 11:29 AM
If you are in Frankenmuth (MI) I certainly hope you visited Bronner's for some good German food , and don't forget the Christmas Decorations!

sawdust_128
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
The Christmas Shop - yes we did. C went back for another day without me.

Bronner's - no we didn't. We opted for a big spend at Willy's Sausage Shop. C is half German and it is pretty regular fare for us.

From the shop:

Geltwurst,
Pickled Ring Bologna,
Polish Hot Dogs (yes and no jokes thank you)
6 diffferent brats including Octoberfest Brats, Beer Brats, Smoked Brats, Croatian Brats, Romanian Brats and one I can't remeber other than it was very tastey.
Sampler of 4 different summer sausages.
mustards and pickles.
Bread.