PDA

View Full Version : BUS HUBCAPS

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I have the original hubcaps that came with my bus. They are polished SS buckets, held on by a central spinner nut. The inner edge of the bucket is protected by a silicone rubber channel that also protects the aluminum rim and seals the whole assembly from the weather.

I do not know the name or manufacturer of the caps. (need it to contact them)

I need 29" of the channel as my bus came with a substitute POS that does not stay put at assembly.

Can anyone help me with the brand name of the hubcaps or a source for the silicone rubber channel?

JIM

Jeff Bayley
09-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Jim-

I need one also. I tracked it down once before but can't find where I bought it. I think the ones on the drive axels are called Top Hats (maybe ?). I need the one that goes on the tag and also the fronts. It has a spinner and the thread that holds the spinner on is reversed. I don't want to show up in OKC looking getto.

Maybe one of us can take a photo of one of the other ones and post it to make sure we get the right one.

Will Garner
09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Jim,

I was in need back in 2007. I had an encounter with a traffic attenuator at the West Virginia Turnpike Toll Booths. ALWAYS use their far outside (right) lane, it is bigger than all the rest.

Anyway, you might try contacting:

RealWheels Corporation
www.realwheels.com
3940 Tannahill Drive
Gurnee, IL 60031
(800) 982-1180

My sales contact was very accomodating. His name is Bjorn Cannon, bcannon@realwheels.com

I don't know if he is still there or not but it is worth a toll free call to find out. The rubber channel is still working for me.

I also got a new piece for the tag axle hub covers from Parliament when I was in Florida. I ran into Truk while at Parliament but that is another story.

truk4u
09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Jim,

I have different covers, but mine also have a strip protecting the rim from the cap. While at Liberty last January, they sent me to an Auto Body Shop Supplier and they had what I needed in a plastic chrome color. I bought an entire roll for about 8 bucks. See me at OKC and it may work for you as well.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Found just the right thing and a little more.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/rubberchannel.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/uchannel.php

Of all places who would have thought they would have it.

JIM

phorner
09-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Good info, Jim.

Thanks for posting....

Jeff Bayley
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I actually need the whole hub cab but I need to post a photo since there are different styles. Will post it later. Didn't realize Jim only needed the rubber.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I ran into Truk while at Parliament but that is another story.

How much damage was done ? :eek: :D

Gary S.

ajducote
06-24-2010, 08:52 PM
This is an old thread, but I could not find an answer to a couple of questions that I feel I should already know the answer to.

1. Are our rims hub or stud piloted ?

2. What size are our lugs nuts? So I can buy the right size lug nut covers...

Seems like I should already know this, makes me feel bad, but I figure others need to now also.

Orren Zook
06-24-2010, 11:14 PM
This is an old thread, but I could not find an answer to a couple of questions that I feel I should already know the answer to.

1. Are our rims hub or stud piloted ?

2. What size are our lugs nuts? So I can buy the right size lug nut covers...

Seems like I should already know this, makes me feel bad, but I figure others need to now also.

My 1999 chassis uses stud piloted rims and the outer Budd nuts measure 1 1/2" across.

Jeff Bayley
06-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Jim- This thread floating back to the top from the most recent post by Oreen. Sorry I don't know Oreen's answer but I think I can point you in the right direction for the center cap which I still currently need. I think I need the same one you do. I found and emailed these two places:

http://www.realwheels.com/coverup.html

http://www.hubking.com/

Hubking already told me they don't have mine. I got a call from someone at real wheels and emailed him the picture but he failed to get back to me. I just resent the email to him again now.

Oops. I put the picture of my hub cap and I thin your's also and I accidentally put a picture of my antenna that i'm about to post somewhere else. Since I can't seem to remove it, might as well ask if anyone reading this post knows of a good antenna to upgrade to for receiving digital signal that the local stations are now using instead of analog. I'm not certain if I need to replace the antenna. ............ehh, I should be writing about this on the correct thread. If you know, find the post I'm about to put or email me. Let me find where to put the antenna question.

dale farley
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
My bus never had any type cover over the drive axle, so I just ordered and installed new stainless covers for the drive wheels. Did not have to remove the rear wheels to make the change. Removed 5 nuts from each wheel, installed the covers and replaced the nuts. 2nd time I've used my X12 wrench.

Also changed the 4 small round covers on the steer and tag axles from chrome to stainless and changed all 60 of the nut covers to stainless. All for about $200.

The first picture is the "before" on the rear. The axle behind the center cover was just painted gray. I also got tired of having to frequently get the rust off the chrome nut covers. One thing I need to clarify: the 4th picture shows the front or tag wheel and the lug nut covers have dents in them. The pictures do not show the new nut covers, because I ordered the wrong ones and had to return them. I now have the right ones, but I made the pictures last week. Everything I ordered is nice quality 304 stainless.

I had trouble getting the pictures to show up as normal, so you may have to click on the attachments below if you want to see them. If anyone can tell me what went wrong, I will appreciate it.

ajducote
06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Dale,

Where did you get your covers from? Please post a link to the web site if you have it. I need to replace my drive axle covers later this year and I am looking for options.

Thanks

Lawrence M.
06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Jeff,

Real Wheels has the replacement for your hub cap. I just ordered the same cap and installed it yesterday. P/N RW-1011SK Center mount axel cover front. I have two numbers:
1-800-982-1180 and 1-847-662-7722.

Larry

JIM KELLER
06-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Dale, It said I have to contact the Administrator to see your nuts. Whats up with that !

Jim Skiff
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Mr. Keller sir...........that kind of language will not be tolerated here!!

JIM KELLER
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Sorry Mr. Skiff. I knew it was wrong when I did it. Thank you for keeping our Site clean and argument free.

dale farley
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Jim Keller,

All I can say about that is, "you never know what's going to happen on this site."

dale farley
06-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Andre,

Because I am "cheap"; I established a Dealer account with americanchrome.com, so I could purchase items wholesale, but they also sell retail. Everything I got is nice quality 304 stainless. If I can help you in any way, I'll be glad to. Dale

Darrell and Linda
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
That's awesome, thanks Will and Jeff. I have the center mounts also and need to replace two nuts that had wings clipped. They should also have the left hand 1/4 " locking screws. I also lost the allen key with the center pin (anti-theft). I had to knock out the center lock pin and use a standard key to remove caps to check bearing oil. I'll order on Monday........ great stuff!

Will Garner
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Darrell,

The hex key with a hole in it can be gotten from Advance Auto as part of a security system for a decorative license plate surround. I lost mine also and that is where I found a replacement.