PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Fan Upgrade Kit With Remote

truk4u
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
For those like myself with a vent fan that is covered with a mirror type outer cover that keeps you from accessing the rain sensor, speed control and other functions, there is a great option from Fantastic. You don't have to remove your old fan from the roof and destroy it's water tight seal. Everything is done iniside by replacing the original control panel with the latest and greatest. It cost 158.00 bucks at Camping World and allows you to access all functions from it's remote control.

Old model 2000

New model 6600 Upgrade Kit

Chrome cover limiting access

Remote control

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Tom, where was your original fan control located?

phorner
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the great post.... that's exactly just what I need.

Those mirror covers that Liberty uses sure look good but they also sure make it a PITA to make any changes to the fan!

I'll be happy to volunteer my bus if you want to demonstrate an install at OKC :D

garyde
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Tom, where was your original fan control located?

My two fans only turn on/off by a switch on the wall via a control relay in the bay. So, whenever I turn it on, the lid opens up and the fan turns on. I can not turn the fan motor off while leaving the lid open. It would be nice to have that option.

truk4u
09-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Jim - The only fan control for the Liberty is an on/off switch in the bath and like Gary said, turns on the fan and opens the cover. Now I can open the cover itself just for ventilation with no fan running or manually operate the fan at various speed or just select automatic and it runs the fan until the set temperature is reached.

Paul - I'm up for it if you are! It's a little tricky with the Liberty wiring, but I figured it out and changed things around a little. Liberty has a home run #31 minus and plus to the fan (hot all the time). The old fan was configured with an additional set of wires and a relay that used the Liberty on/off switch to control both the fan and cover. That set of wires was labeled 31A. So I ran the ground lead through the Liberty on/off switch and simply made the switch the power source for the new fan.

And to top it all off, there is a switch on the fan for reverse and you can bring fresh air into the bus through the fan, but I can't get to it because of the cover! :( Relocating that switch may be another project down the road.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I guess the answer I was looking for was, the switch was right there where I mounted the new control, or the switch was in the multi button switch pad in the bathroom, or......

What did you do with the old switch? Black it out or just leave it functionless?

JIM

tdelorme
09-08-2009, 09:49 AM
I guess the answer I was looking for was, the switch was right there where I mounted the new control, or the switch was in the multi button switch pad in the bathroom, or......

What did you do with the old switch? Black it out or just leave it functionless?

JIM

Jim, I did the remote control vent fan deal a year or so back. I just pulled one wire off the back of the old switch and the remote control serves as on/off and speed control. It's a nice upgrade.

jello_jeep
09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Truk man, don't they make a larger more powerful model for taco eating truk drivers? I would think so ;)

shookie
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM
hello all...it's been a while since i have posted...however, i have an odd situation going on with my bath fan...sometimes it works...sometimes it does not....when it did not work, i check the coach fuse...all ok...i then checked the fuse in the fan itself...all ok...then, voila, it began to work....then it closed and stopped...the only thing i can imagine is the rain sensor is acting up...what do u guys think?...any comments appreciated...best, shookie

truk4u
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
So I ran the ground lead through the Liberty on/off switch and simply made the switch the power source for the new fan.

Jim - The Liberty switch is now the power source for the new fan just like before. Switch off, no power, switch on, power available for the new fan utilizing the remote control. Before, switch on, lid opens and fan runs. I'll explain the original setup while in OKC, it's easier than trying to do it here.

truk4u
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Shookie,

Where ya been? It could be the rain sensor. Shut off the sensor and see if it will work. If not, could be a motor problem or circuit board. Pull down on the black knob putting it in the manual mode and turn it to open the cover, then see if things start working. If you remove the shroud, you should be able to get to the power leads to check for voltage, or check it at the fuse with a multi-meter.

You can probably get some troubleshooting help from Fantastic, they're really good. I have a bunch of parts, but they change with model numbers. If you have a 2000, I can probably help with some parts.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Tom, I'll take you up on talking about it at the rally.

JIM

dale farley
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Shookie,

One of my fans was intermittent in it operation. I cleaned the sensor, and it seemed to work fine. I called FanTastic and told them what I had done to make sure everything was okay. He said the rheostat on the control pad may not function as it should after a few years. Also, if you have the temperature setting too high, the fan won't come on.

He said to be sure that I had no more problems, he would send me two new control pads and two new rain sensors. I received them in about 5 days. No charge. Excellent support and customer service from FanTastic Fan.

garyde
04-10-2010, 10:37 PM
hello all...it's been a while since i have posted...however, i have an odd situation going on with my bath fan...sometimes it works...sometimes it does not....when it did not work, i check the coach fuse...all ok...i then checked the fuse in the fan itself...all ok...then, voila, it began to work....then it closed and stopped...the only thing i can imagine is the rain sensor is acting up...what do u guys think?...any comments appreciated...best, shookie

I worked on both of my Fan Tastic Vents today. The support at Fan Tastic Vents helped me fix the intermitant problem similar to what Shookie was experiencing. It happens that there is a plunger cut off button under the vent cover on the roof. I got up on the roof with the cover opened, un screwed the plunger switch and cleaned and sprayed it with silicon. Fan works fine now.