PDA

View Full Version : Double Coin tires - which ones?

michaeldterry
09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I see a set of new tires in my immediate future and am needing to be as frugal as possible right now. I checked the date codes on my current tires and it scared me half to death (believe me - you don't even want to know!). I know that some POGers like the Double Coin tires and I've seen you say that they are much less expensive than the Michelin XZA1's. Could one of you Double Coin fans tell me which Double Coin product to consider for my XL45? I'm nervous about switching from the Michelin product, but may be forced to let economics dictate my choice. What say you? :confused:

TG Transport
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Michael, my Marathon came with 6 Toyo M111's and I've replaced 4 of the 8 in two years. (Ask me about having a blow-out on a Firestone that was on my tag axle-that was special.). They ride well and are priced at about $475 each at Quick Fleet Tire on Bankhead Hwy next to the Petro Truck Stop. They are good folks as well. I think the owners name is Cecil.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Bob-05 had very bad luck with Double Coin such that they paid him his money back. If he (or Deb post I am sure they will provide the details).

I have had them on my drives for about 3 years with no issues. They hold air and they ride good.

I have no allegiance to Double Coin or any other brand and will shop tires when I have to do replacements, probably next year. What I think is critical is that the tires have the speed rating and weight rating required and are recommended by the manufacturer for the position (steer, drive, etc.)

garyde
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I would get quotes on three different tire types and make your decision from that point. I know Michelin prices have come down , I got 365's quoted for about $650.00 a couple of months ago.

dale farley
09-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Michael, How old are the ones on your bus? I think Harry may hold the record for running the oldest tires, but I do wonder how old others are.

MangoMike
09-07-2009, 12:44 AM
M.

I have the Toyo's on the Marathon H3, so far very pleased.

Mike

rmboies
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Jon Wehrenberg;53494]Bob-05 had very bad luck with Double Coin such that they paid him his money back. If he (or Deb post I am sure they will provide the details).
QUOTE]

Jon is correct, we had a very bad experience with our Double Coin tires. We could never get them balanced, even when using the counterbalance beads-- rough riding and after only 1200 miles, one of them had a side wall separation. The dealer took all 8 tires back and we replaced them with Firestones. Who knows, maybe we just got 8 lemons but so far, great ride on the Firestones, very smooth.

Bob-05 and Debi

09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello Micheal,

Scott Truss, a POGER and friend has just upgraded his Steer tires to 365's has a pair of 2006 315 Michelin's that might well be available, he is in the Jax area ?? I believe give him a shout and see if they are still available, could solve 2 problems Here Scott's email address rstruss@shaw.ca

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I see a set of new tires in my immediate future and am needing to be as frugal as possible right now. I checked the date codes on my current tires and it scared me half to death (believe me - you don't even want to know!). I know that some POGers like the Double Coin tires and I've seen you say that they are much less expensive than the Michelin XZA1's. Could one of you Double Coin fans tell me which Double Coin product to consider for my XL45? I'm nervous about switching from the Michelin product, but may be forced to let economics dictate my choice. What say you? :confused:

Michael, I am sending you an email. But I agree with what everybody has said: Verify the Load and Speed rating of 3 - 4 brands, then get the best pricing for each, and go from there.

Gary S.

michaeldterry
09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Michael, How old are the ones on your bus? I think Harry may hold the record for running the oldest tires, but I do wonder how old others are.

Okay - at the risk of total humiliation and possible banishment from the group, here is the ugly truth. The DOT codes on my tires read: DOT B1D7 BENX 4900. So, if I understand the instructions for reading the code, that means they were manufactured in the 49th week of 2000! I'm riding on tires that are almost 9 years old! Granted - they look fine, hold air with literally no loss, have plenty of tread depth (look almost new) and ride fine. However, I know from previous discussion threads here on POG that dry rot must certainly be a factor by now and this is a catasrophe waiting for the worst possible time to happen!

Getting these tires replaced and procuring a reliable, idiot proof TPMS has jumped to the top of my bus priority list.

Let the shaming begin.... :o

09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
It would be an interesting exercise to take one of your 2000 tires and break it down off the rim and inspect it from the inside to take a good look at the interior for rusty water, dry rot etc.

For Safety reasons alone it makes sense to replace both or all (depending on age), but I bet those tires will be reused by someone if they look in decent shape regardless of age.

michaeldterry
09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
For Safety reasons alone it makes sense to replace both or all (depending on age), but I bet those tires will be reused by someone if they look in decent shape regardless of age.

I fear that you are correct.....

LA-HODAG
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Michael: Check out the Kumho KRS 02. I replaced my Michelins with these about 3.5 years ago and they have been trouble free. They ride as nice and as quiet as Michelins but were about $125 less per tire when I got them. They are made in Korea, which has a much stronger automotive industry than China, and Kumho is a very well established company. Kumho racing tires are commonly used worldwide.

Full disclosure: My law firm now represents Kumho in the US, but that's not related to my purchase of the tires. I really do like 'em.

LA-HODAG
09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
p.s.: One of the Michelins on my tag was about 10 years old when I got my bus. It looked pretty good. Still had lots of tread, held air just fine but some small sidewall cracks. When the tire guy hit the deflated tire with his sledge to knock it off the rim, his hammer went right through the sidewall. That really got my attention, especially since I had just driven across the country on those tires.

michaeldterry
09-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Michael: Check out the Kumho KRS 02. I replaced my Michelins with these about 3.5 years ago and they have been trouble free. They ride as nice and as quiet as Michelins but were about $125 less per tire when I got them. They are made in Korea, which has a much stronger automotive industry than China, and Kumho is a very well established company. Kumho racing tires are commonly used worldwide.

Full disclosure: My law firm now represents Kumho in the US, but that's not related to my purchase of the tires. I really do like 'em.

Brian - thanks for the tip! I actually already have Kumho tires on my tow vehicle and have no complaints. I'll definitely check these out!

hhoppe
09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
"Michael, How old are the ones on your bus? I think Harry may hold the record for running the oldest tires, but I do wonder how old others are."

Dale ??????

As far as I know my Michelin 365's are one year old.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
According to the tire manufacturers that have presented seminars at POG rallies our tires are designed to be used frequently. As we drive the constant flexing releases compounds which extend the life of the tires. If only one of the manufacturers said that I would have been less convinced of that statement, but both Michelin and Goodyear reps said it. By driving we are maintaining the resistance of the tire to dry rot or sidewall cracking.

If we cannot drive often starting with about 5 years from the date of manufacture we should examine the tire sidewalls for evidence of cracking. Some minor cracking is acceptable but as it becomes more prevalent and deeper it signals the end of the life of the tire. We know a tire failure by a blowout at any wheel position has the potential to not only create a potential bus handling problem, but as the failed tire disassembles itself in the wheel well it has the potential to tear off or destroy brake chambers or air bags making an already bad situation a very bad situation.

Those of us who have experienced tire problems or who have seen the result of tire problems are very much aware of this, but new owners may not fully appreciate the huge potential for damage bad tires represent. As an additional warning that was provided by both tire manufacturers, we were warned that driving on a tire that is 20% or more under its required pressure is to be considered unacceptable for further use. Stated another way, if the tire at the steer position for example requires 100 PSI, it is effectively ruined if it loses pressure and is driven at 80 PSI or less. In addition to sidewall cracking, as owners we need to know our tires are always at the correct pressure based on the weight they carry.

I think all of the above is more important that what brand of tires we select.

michaeldterry
09-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Jon - your post is appreciated and well taken. I'm getting a real education about the importance of tire monitoring and maintenance here. I'm just thankful that I'm getting the knowledge in time to do something with it before I had to learn "the hard way" via a catastrophic tire failure! :eek:

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Michael, you can hide the cracks with shoe polish:D:D,
believe it or not I've heard of that being done on buses for sale by disreputable people.:eek:

JIM

dale farley
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Now Harry, you know I wasn't referring to your new set of tires. I was talking about the "experienced" set you were running before these new ones.

GDeen
09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
After witnessing the poor QC and related failure rate of oilfield tubulars from China, no thanks on their tires. By and large they may be fine, but I would hate to get the one that is bad on my steer axle with my family on board. Will save money elsewhere.