PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Renewel

hhoppe
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I received a new very elevated quote from Progressive Insurance. I know the forum had lengthy discussions on Insurance rates and who best to insure with. I just can't find that information now I need it. Please give me your best shots on this.

Thanks

Orren Zook
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Harry,

Give these guys a tryl: National Interstate Insurance, Richfield Ohio, www.explorerRV.com or call toll free: 888-774-6778

tdelorme
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Harry,

Give these guys a tryl: National Interstate Insurance, Richfield Ohio, www.explorerRV.com or call toll free: 888-774-6778

Add me to the list of happy Explorer customers. No issues whatsoever on my damage claim a few months back. When I called them Thursday morning to see about filing a tow claim, the agent informed me that they would also reimburse our hotel room and meals. I much prefer handling the deal myself and getting reimbursed as opposed to waiting for someone else to arrange my tow. Call Explorer. They will put you with National Interstate and it will save you a bundle.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Harry,

The advice above is absolutely on target. I am also a customer that had a very expensive claim and they were superb.

truk4u
09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Explorer Harry, you'll be happy...;)

Darl-Wilson
09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Even my $30K damage claim and 2 windshields replaced on the road, in the same year, didn't increase my rates. I just received my bill and it is exactly the same as last year. They are also great to deal with during a claim. They have my highest rating****-****.

Darl

hhoppe
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Thank you guys for the information. Orren I called your magic number to Explorer and we made the swap this morning saving over one thousand dollars for the years premium.
Now there is a return on investment in POG Membership.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
And the best part Harry, is that if you have a problem you will be dealing with a company that knows what a Prevost conversion is and they will respond exactly as is required. Other companies do not fully appreciate the differences between a conversion and a motorhome.

garyde
09-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Regarding Explorer Insurance, I recieved a quote from Progressive thru Explorer, the price more than doubled this year. :confused:
I called Explorer and they got Progressive on the line, California is the culprit.
Cost to insure in this state (comprehensive) has gone thru the roof.
Fires in California!
$6400.00 instead of $2700.00.

hhoppe
09-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Gary: Quick call Orrens Magic Explorer Number. 888-774-6778. Move and cancel quick.

Darl-Wilson
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Gary, did Explorer give you a quote through Nationwide?

My insurance is a little over $1600 per yr with that company. What the hell is the matter with these people and the fires? The fires have consumed a lot of acreage (but way less the .001% of state and federal land in CA) and to my knowledge it hasn't eaten one Prevost, well..... except those stored in hangars. Right Ray?:confused:

Darl:rolleyes:

Ray Davis
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, watch out for RV's with RV fridges in them, from either Norcold or Dometic!! :eek:

garyde
09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Yes, I am awaiting a call back from Explorer. I've heard a lot of double talk in the last two years, but progressives reason for over a 100% increase beats them all.

Ray Davis
09-14-2009, 11:54 PM
My policy with Explorer through National American runs less than $2k, in CA. And while the process wasn't any fun, ultimately they pretty much came through for my loss.

Ray

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
It is Renewal Time on Insurance again, and I was going over my Explorer Policy, and my question is:

Do most of you have Actual Cash Value Policy on your bus, or is your policy written with the Agreed Value?

From what I can understand if you have an Agreed Value policy, if the bus has depreciated greatly, which I guess they all have, you would need to get an Appraisal on your bus, ( or should get one ) to verify that you have proper coverage in case of a Major Problem?

Is all of this and my logic making sense, and is it correct?

Next question is, if I need my Bus appraised where would I go to get that done ?

Gary S.

Darl-Wilson
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Gary, Explorer accepted a letter from Fred Green at Marathon in FL for the value. He simply wrote his estimate of the value. (My Prevost converter was Country Coach) Fred's value was then the agreed value.:D

Good Luck...

garyde
01-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Gary. I called Liberty and got a verbal which I then passed on to my Insurace company. No Letter.

Ray Davis
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
When my previous bus was totalled in the fire, I had an agreed-upon value for my policy. Ultimately that is what they paid, however, they did go through a lot of verification that the agreed-upon price was reasonable.

It was pretty clear to me that they felt they could give me less, if the price we'd agreed on was clearly higher than market value.

Might be worth asking the insurance guys about that.

James
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Geico was less than 1/3 of Explorer with Progressive being the highest when we got insurance on the bus last November; however, Geico would not do agreed value so we went with Explorer.

dale farley
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the moral of this story is to shop around any time you buy insurance. I've had GEICO on my house for about 30 years, but when I compared them to others for bus insurance, they were significantly higher. I've used Explorer for my last two Prevosts. I have a fixed value on mine.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys for your help.

I will check with Bob Makin @ Panterra Coach where we bought the bus about an Appraisal, and go from there.

As always POG members have all the answers and are willing to help.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone. :)

Gary S.

Coloradobus
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Gary,

We have used Miller Rv Insurance for years out of Lake Oswego Ore
1800-622-6347. We had Progressive with them for years. With our former coach, 2000 Marathon H with an agreed value based on bill of sale of $500K from 2004, our rate was around $2000 annually.
If we still owned the bus, for 2010 annual renewal was to be $3200.
Yikes, I asked them why, and their answer from Progressive was $2600 of it was for "Agreed Value..:eek: Upon purchase of our Beaver Bus, Progressive quoted "Agreed Value"coverage of $2100 on $139K paid for the bus. Yikes again. Cripe, the coach is 17 year's old. Are fiberglass coach owners paying these kinds of prices for a gas powered rig valued about the same?. I don't think so.
Miller check with National Interstate, and the rates were much more palatable, for legalized theft. For the Beaver Bus, we agreed to $139,000, what we bought the bus for, and the annual rate was to be $1206. Done, I fired Progressive greedy little *&^%$$#'s and hired National Interstate.

Orren Zook
01-10-2010, 09:23 PM
we agreed to $139,000, what we bought the bus for, and the annual rate was to be $1206. Done, I fired Progressive greedy little *&^%$$#'s and hired National Interstate.

From my prior experience with Explorer/National Interstate, when your coach reaches 20 years of age they won't offer coverage. If you're getting into that age bracket, plan accordingly and shop around for coverage before your policy expiration date (or buy a newer coach).

michaeldterry
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
This year (in November) I switched from American Modern Insurance and insured Evangeline through Explorer RV with National Interstate at an agreed value of $150,000 for an annual premium of $1,145.00. The premium was about $600 less than renawal with American Modern.

Coloradobus
01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Orren,

I understand what you're saying. We asked and checked in this with National interstate since they have a cut off coach age of 19 years. However, if you are a currently insured customer with them, as in our case presently, and the coach is 17 years old, we are automatically grandfathered customer and will not be canceelled as the coach accumulates age beyond their benchmark..

dale farley
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
In 2009 we paid $1128 for our bus insured at a set rate of $200K with Explorer (National Interstate). The premium this year is $1298 with no claims and no changes to the policy. I don't know why the $170 jump considering we are in a supposedly "deflationary" economy.

Coloradobus
01-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Legalized Theft!:eek: Dale, because they can!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I would just like to stress to everyone to check their insurance policy to be sure you have the CORRECT type of "Value" for your bus in case of a disaster.

We had Actual Cash Value, which was fine when we first purchased the bus, but not fine after the depreciation sets in which it has.

You need "An Agreed Value" in your policy, and a number you can live with if something happens. You can accomplish this, by providing an appraisal to the insurance company with your renewal.

Bob Makin with Panterra is providing me an appraisal as we speak.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Gary S.

GDeen
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I would just like to stress to everyone to check their insurance policy to be sure you have the CORRECT type of "Value" for your bus in case of a disaster.

We had Actual Cash Value, which was fine when we first purchased the bus, but not fine after the depreciation sets in which it has.

You need "An Agreed Value" in your policy, and a number you can live with if something happens. You can accomplish this, by providing an appraisal to the insurance company with your renewal.

Bob Makin with Panterra is providing me an appraisal as we speak.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Gary S.

Unfortunately when I priced insurance last May, many of the larger carriers would not even write an "agreed value" policy for motorhomes registered in Texas. The only actual quote I got on such a policy was from Progressive, and it was ~$6000 which in my mind is prohibitive when a "cash value" policy is ~$1200.

Ray Davis
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
AND as I mentioned previously, simply having an agreed value didn't guarentee me that I would receive THAT value. The adjuster went through a lot of work (meaning I had to go through a lot of hoops) to verify the valuation on the coach that I had for my policy.

It was very clear to me that I would not get (for example) $500k for a coach which really had a market value of $200k, even with an appraisal letter.

Luckily I had purchased my coach only 6 months prior, at the policy agreed price, and the real price plummeting hadn't quite started yet.

Ray

dale farley
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I called Explorer today and asked why my rate went up 15% from last year. I was told it is because a significant increase in RV's registered in Montana has resulted in a rate increase for the state. She offered to reduce the agreed value if I wanted to do that, but I think I am about where I should be, so I didn't make any changes.

Ray Davis
01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
More RV's in a state means it's more expensive to insure? I guess I don't quite follow the logic?

Seems to me any time you have more, you spread the risk out over more and the cost should ultimately be less?

Orren Zook
01-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I've had my coach policy drop from $1154 to $1133 at renewal last fall, and my business casualty policy has dropped a few hundred bucks too... with the same carriers - maybe signaling the end of a hard market, at least in the great lakes region of the country.

Coloradobus
01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Guess we need to move in with Orren. All of our vehicle insurance went up. Our Worker's Comp went up. Our Anthem healthcare with no changes went up 60% at renewal last month, and last year it went up 40% ( No Claims). Our Fire insurance went up with no changes.(No claims) Our liability insurance went up with no changes (NO claims) Then we had the big event in July with the tornado tearing thru NW Denver. :eek::eek: Just wait 'tiil next year!!!!
Chris' mom got a ticket for a bulb out, and she got a "defective vehicle notation checked in a box on the ticket. Car Iinsurance company got ahold of that and now for next 3 years a surcharge tacked onto the annual premium.
This wasn't a warning, but a ticket in broad daylight for a DRL bulb up front out.
2 points, plus fine and $130.00 premium increase X 3 years, and no chance to say she got it fixed,. Sorry, on the soapbox:(

dale farley
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Ray,

I told her I didn't see the logic in the decision, but she seemed to think I should have. The only logic I see is "higher rates, more money in their pocket."

truk4u
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Not to worry boy's, Harry and Nancy will be taking care of all these things for you!:rolleyes:

flyu2there
01-12-2010, 09:22 AM
It is happening all over. Just received my premium notice from Foremost, they have always been low for me, they "were" lower than Explorer. First page showed a cancellation notice from my previous policy but one of their "other" Foremost companies would be happy to take my business; mind you, no claims...EVER! The new policy had a 600 dollar per year premium increase and in the fine print was buried the term "actual cash value" vice my previous agreed value. That was hiding in the oh so fine print behind their new "enhanced" towing and road service and some other assorted BS, like a years complimentary subscription to Motorhome Magazine (BFD)!

Switched to Explorer who came in below what I paid for my Foremost Policy last year...Go Figure! Mind you, I carry liability at the limit where my umbrellas kick in so my bus policies have always been, shall I say reasonable, especially when compared to airplane insurance.

Orren Zook
01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Jim, how about this bit if insurance zaniness: In November my Anthem/Blue Cross agent tells me that my companies policy will have a 15% increase (age of employees, health issues, etc.) on renewal. I mentioned this to a friend who also sells Anthem and she says that she can help me on this, we made her my agent of record so that she could get access to my employee & copmpany records and then reapplied as a new customer - everyone filled out new applications and my new policy rate was reduced by 13% on the 'renewal'. Same policy numbers, coverage and PPO providers, just a different agent. For very little effort, I ended up with lower premiums for the same coverage!

pwf252
01-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I called Explorer RV yesterday and was quote $1720.00 on agreed value of $325,000.00 thru Triumphe which is apparently a subsidary of National Interstate. This is 150.00 less then last years rate with the same insurance carrier different agency.

Coloradobus
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Hmmm, Very Interesting!? It would be educational for us to check. However, I know each state is different on all aspects of insurance. We have friends who live on the Northwest coast with a 2006 Marathon H who are paying not too much more for coach insurance with Progessive with "Agreed value", than we are paying on the 1992 XL "Agreed Value".

dale farley
01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Boy do I feel relieved! In post # 36 Tom says that Harry and Nancy will take care of all this for us. Tom, I will send copies of my bills to Nancy and you, so you can verify my rate went up $170 this year.

Please have Nancy send the check to my home address. This is the real meaning of "sharing with your POG friends."

GDeen
01-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I called Explorer RV yesterday and was quote $1720.00 on agreed value of $325,000.00 thru Triumphe which is apparently a subsidary of National Interstate. This is 150.00 less then last years rate with the same insurance carrier different agency.

Interesting - is your coach registered in TX?