PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Two Vanner Equilizers

lloyd&pamela
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I am replacing the two Vanner Equilizers tomorrow after the new ones arrive. We discovered that both were bad after the short we had from the bad 50 amp plug.

Question: is there anything I need to do besides turn off the 24 and 12 volt switches?

They are a swap according to Vanner. Thanks.

garyde
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Lloyd. Check to see if they connect directly to your batterries ahead of the disconnect switches. There may be no disconnect.

lloyd&pamela
08-31-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks Gary.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Something does not add up. How can a 50 amp plug short (120VAC) have any affect at all on equalizers that are totally isolated from all 120V circuits?

Are you really sure they are bad and that the short caused it? Something tells me if they are bad it has nothing to do with a 50 amp plug.

truk4u
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Lloyd,

Be sure to remove the ground wire first. And like Jon, I don't see the connection between your 50 amp and the equalizers.

lloyd&pamela
08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I called Vanner and when we tested both he said they were blown. I do not know what caused it, but there is a large coated copper wire going from the second vanner to the 24 volt charger, that did short out when the 50 amp plug shorted out the rear ac and tv lift mount power supply.

That is why I assumed it was the short from the 50 amp plug. Either way they are not working.

If I have this correct. The process should be:

1. turn off 24 and 12 volt switch in rear.
2. check with volt meter for any power
3. disconnect the ground first
4. Then disconnect and replace.

Hope this is correct. Tbhey should arrive later today. Thanks everyone.

lloyd&pamela
08-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Installed the new Vanner 66-60 Battery Equilizers and things seem to be working fine. Thanks all.

I will find out tomorrow if the alternator is working correctly or not when we get to Grand Teton campground. It may not be charging properly when we are on the road.