PDA

View Full Version : Magnum vs Xantrex inverter/charger

LarryB
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Anyone one have a comparison of the two inverters?
I'm having to replace a Heart Freedom 25 and am looking at the Xantrex 458 or the Magnum. I have recommendations for both. Is the the old Ford or Chevy. debate?

Thanks

Jon Wehrenberg
08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I think the choice of an inverter today is based on the inverter's specs.

As some electronic equipment gets more sophisticated the older technology inverters are not going to provide the sine curve needed. (I read that somewhere and I assume it relates to the 120V output frequency pattern.)

If I had to replace my inverters today I would want an inverter programmible from the remote panel, I would want one with output compatible with all electronic devices and I would want one that is especially capable of maintaining the health of my batteries including temperature sensing.

We work inverters from both directions. We expect them to be good battery chargers when we have generator or shore power, but we also want them to provide us with good clean 120VAC output. I am sure they all claim to do that stuff, but I suspect the fine print will reveal which ones really do what we want the best.

One inverter brand whose name is cropping up frequently is Outback. I have no idea if theirs is what you are looking for, but I would certainly be asking about that one as well because I understand some converters are using them, and if the converters are using them they must have something going for them.

lloyd&pamela
08-30-2009, 09:39 PM
We chose the Magnum because it is a true Sine Wave Inverter and we wanted to protect all the electronics in the bus. I believe Trace also makes a True Sine Wave Inverter. That was our primary concern. If you get the Magnum. Make sure that also install the Battery Monitor Kit (BMK).

LarryB
08-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Jon & Lloyd, thanks for the info.

Lloyd, does the BMK mount in the coach or in the inverter/battery bay?

Thanks

lloyd&pamela
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
In the bay next to the auto-gen start.

LarryB
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks Lloyd.

So now can you fix my turn signal? <G>

BrianE
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Larry, I replaced the Freedom 2500's in Tom's bus with Magnums. It was a drop in change including the remotes and the remote telephone cable wires. The Magnum's are true sine wave inverters and the remotes have more and better setup options. They also have battery temp sensors to assist in auto charge rate settings. Would also consider adding the battery per cent remaining option which requires a simple shunt installation. You mentioned problems with the Magnum in Monaco coach installations. Suspect this may be a Monaco interface problem rather than a problem with the inverter. Customer support from Magnum is first class. Good luck dealing with Carrier.

truk4u
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Larry,

Diddo what Brian said.. I posted a few months ago about upgrades I did to the Magnum circuit boards and can't say enough about their customer support. As Lloyd will attest, they're very user friendly and you can talk to a live person anytime.

Here's the post FYI: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3565&highlight=magnum

Denny
08-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Larry

My bus was updated with the Xantrex 458 inverters and I am very satisfied with them. Their service and support is excellent. I like the new remote control panels and many of the features available from the panels. I do not know enough about the other inverters being discussed so I cannot give a comparison point of view.

The change out from the Freedom to the Xantrex is fairly simple also

LarryB
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Denny, why did you upgrade the panels? I thought the Link 2000 works with the 458. Maybe you had something other than the Link control?

Denny
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Larry,

I don't know the answer to your question. The new inverters and panels were part of the deal when I bought the bus three years ago. I had assumed that the control panels were necessary in order for the new inverters to work properly. I was happy with the new panels and did not ask any questions.

LarryB
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Denny.