PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Timers

phorner
08-26-2009, 11:31 PM
In a separate thread, I asked about the operation of the transfer switch in my Liberty. I was experiencing several attempts by the transfer switch to latch when I was connecting to shore power. One of the suggestions offered was to replace the solid state timer (timing relay) as this was likely the problem.

Upon inspection of the innards (a highly technical term) of my transfer switch, I found the 2 timing relays; one is for connection via shore power and one is for connection via the generator. One of mine looks like the original and the other looks like a replacement.

What appears to be the original is an NCC model T1k-5-461 which is apparently no longer available. According to Liberty, the replacement part is NCC model T1k-00030-466. This part is very difficult to find. Lots of places list them, but it's a 2-3 week wait to get them.

However, after a lot of searching, I found them at www.onlinecomponents.com and they were very accommodating to deal with.

At this point, I haven't installed them yet, as the old ones are still working. And, I want to double and triple check that these are, in fact, the correct replacements.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Paul, try these guys. They show they have one in T1K-5-461 stock.

Where is the timer located?
Is it in the box containing the shore power on off switch?

http://www.1sourcecomponents.com/partinfo/A1K-5-461.htm

JIM

phorner
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Jim.

The relays are located in the transfer switch housing, which has the shore power switch located on it.

Now, the bad news is that after I double checked with Liberty about the correct relay number, I find out that the original number given to me is WRONG :( So, I spent a week searching and paid dearly for overnight shipping (that wasn't delivered, but that's another story :mad::mad:) and I now have 2 relays that do me no good.

Apparently the CORRECT number is A1M-0999M-461.... or at least that's what I'm told today.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Paul, can you look at the suspect timer relay and pull the part number yourself, or don't you want to tear it apart until you have components to go right back in???

Wondering are you away from home and in some strange place;) :confused:, working by the side of the road?

How is the coach functioning without this part?

Could you substitute the one that is still working?

JIM

phorner
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm OK, Jim... not stranded. Since there have been a couple of times that my transfer switch didn't latch on the first try, I've wanted to have the replacement relay on hand.

The part number that is on the existing relay has been REAL HARD to find, and then Liberty told me that it had been replaced with another, which led me down my current path.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Paul, if you are sure of the part number, the same linked source has one in stock.

http://www.1sourcecomponents.com/search/search.htm

JIM

phorner
08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Jim!

phorner
09-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I was having a problem with my transfer switch not wanting to "latch" on the first try when I plugged in to shore power. There would be a series of clicks on and off, and the indicator lights on my main panel inside would flash on and off until the switch finally "caught".

There are 2 time delay relays inside the Liberty transfer switch, one for the shore power connection and one for the generator, and the prevailing theory was that the one handling the shore power was the problem. I was concerned that eventually it would fail completely and not allow shore power into the bus, but in an emergency I could swap with the generator input relay. It appeared that one relay was the original and that one had been replaced with a substitute relay. To add to the problem, I was having a lot of trouble finding a replacement for the NCC model which I believed was the original.

A call to Liberty led me to a newer relay which apparently is now being installed in place of the old one that I had, so I ordered up a pair.

I installed both today and NO MORE MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS to latch!:)

As it turned out, it was my old, original NCC relay that was acting up, so I kept the "substitute" that was part of the generator circuit (which had never given me a problem) as a spare.

The pictures are of the new replacement relay, and how they are installed in the transfer switch.

truk4u
09-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Good post Paul!;)