PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Connection Point

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I am getting ready to put on my new Doran 360-8 RV TPMS ( tire pressure monitor sensors ), after I get my new tires put on, and after I get my bus back from Prevost, after they fix my slide....... but I digress ! :(

It says in the Doran manual the best way to wire this unit is to hard wire, using the 3 wires, not to use the cigarette lighter adapter. This allows the system to constantly get updated tire pressure information, but does not send the alarm if the ignition switch is off.

My Question: Where are the best places to connect the positive, and negative leads. and then of course the ground, so it receives proper power when the key is turned on?

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-25-2009, 06:45 PM
That is like asking how high is up. It is difficult to answer without knowing your bus.

Is your house 12V or 24V? Did your converter have a 12V terminal strip or bus bar for the 12V dash items like the lighter, radio, and other 12V accessories? Further, do you want it on only when the key is on or do you want it on all the time?

First decide on where you want it mounted, whether you want it on when the key is on, and if you want it on the bus side of the electric system or the house side. BTW, I don't have those answers some or all of which may be determined by how your converter set up your electric systems.

If you want it on with the key, then it may involve setting up a relay that operates off the ignition switch (which likely switches 24V). You will have to find 12V terminal strips, bus bars or a post that is convenient. That may be under your dash or it may be in the electric box next to the driver's seat, or it may be in a converter's electric bay.

I found out the key to doing a high quality installation is taking the time to think stuff through, and then disasembling all the panels and trim necessary to properly route the wires from the source to the device.

The negative wire may go to a negative bus bar, but it also is the ground so in the absence of a negative post, terminal strip or bus bar you may find you have to ground the negative.

Loc
08-25-2009, 07:12 PM
First find wire loom number 2234 which should be located just to the left of the tilt telescoping steering wheel valve (it has a blue and red stripped cover over the loom. Once you find the loom 2234, the Doran manual says to connect the postive lead to wire number 216 which is a brown wire with yellow striping. I think the 3M brand quick connects in the purple box are the best to use for this type of application given the potential heat generation caused from a direct hard wire connection of the Doran module. The Doran manual says to connect the negative lead to wire number 319 which is in wire loom 912 just to the right of the air conditioning control box on the lower instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel. Loom 912 is orange with a solid blue line. Wire 319 is yellow with the numbers 123 running in sequence. Connect the ground to the loose nut behind the steering wheel :D

Ray Davis
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Before Ken Z (Bluevost) left on his 5 month trip to OKC, we installed a Pro-Driver in his bus. Similar questions, as to where to find power that was switched and not.

In his case, in his electrical panel (under the drivers seat) all of the connections were listed as to what they were. We looked through, found the ones that were marked 12V and 12V switched etc, and put on a spade lug, and connected in the box directly. The benefit to this is that it wasn't a permanent connection and wasn't cutting into any wires.

It might be possible that the wire numbers mentioned by Loc are available there too?

Anyway, it worked for us.

Ray

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-26-2009, 12:51 AM
First find wire loom number 2234 which should be located just to the left of the tilt telescoping steering wheel valve (it has a blue and red stripped cover over the loom. Once you find the loom 2234, the Doran manual says to connect the postive lead to wire number 216 which is a brown wire with yellow striping. I think the 3M brand quick connects in the purple box are the best to use for this type of application given the potential heat generation caused from a direct hard wire connection of the Doran module. The Doran manual says to connect the negative lead to wire number 319 which is in wire loom 912 just to the right of the air conditioning control box on the lower instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel. Loom 912 is orange with a solid blue line. Wire 319 is yellow with the numbers 123 running in sequence. Connect the ground to the loose nut behind the steering wheel :D

Jon, I knew better than try and get a simple answer to that question, but I sent it anyway? :o Thanks for your detailed response.

Loc, I will follow your instructions to the letter. :confused: BITCH ! :p

Ray, thanks for your reply, I think it will be the way I end up doing the wiring too.
Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Just curious.......how would Doran know the details of a Prevost / American wire loom and individual wire numbers?

tdelorme
08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Just curious.......how would Doran know the details of a Prevost / American wire loom and individual wire numbers?

Jon, Mr. McNew doesn't know a wire loom from a ball of yarn and has never heard of Doran or tire monitors for that matter. I surprised he didn't instruct Gary to make a sweeping cut with a razor knife across all the wires in the biggest bundle he could find.
Loc has now moved to the front of the line for this weeks Chia Obama award. The smiling one of course, which I will hand deliver shortly.

Loc
08-26-2009, 08:01 AM
That's way harsh Mel. Here I am trying to help Spongbob and I get nominated for an Obama award? I am planning a Doran wiring seminar at the Fat Beagle. I was hoping the newly painted Liberty would be volunteered for the demonstration.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Ha Ha Loc, I guess that will teach ya to mess with me. :p

Don't forget to water your Chiabama with DeIonized Water ! :eek: :D

Gary S.

JIM KELLER
08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
This post is too funny ! We need some of this from time to time.

MangoMike
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Locness,

I thought your post was so informative and helpful I sent it over to the American Coach owners forum for posting on their electrical help page. I included your cell phone number in case they had any further questions.

No thanks necessary.

mm

Loc
08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Mike,

The instructions are only good for the American Coach limited Spongebob edition. Thanks for the support.

Loc

MangoMike
08-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Edit noted.

Glad to be of service.

Loc
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Gary,

I just got off the phone with Doran. What great tech support. They provided an updated wiring diagram. The new diagram indicates that you should connect the positive lead to the Prevost slide-out activation switch / logic controller (since this currently can't used to activate the slide out). The negative lead should be connected to the low margarita light. The ground should remain connected to the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Doran had some spy photos of a special project that they are working on with Prevost DFW to complete the above wiring sequence. They said the project has been ongoing for the last month or two. The sent me the photo and although it is top secret I am going to post it.

The Spongebus in the Prevost Batcave.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Cute Loc, very CUTE ! :mad:

And you will note in the picture, my d**n slide is still not in the out position?

Has anybody every welded a slide shut with good success? :eek: :rolleyes:

Hector, you were suppose to send me that picture, NOT LOC. Now see what you have done, I hope you're happy? :p

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
The report from the service manager at Prevost in Fort Worth about the Spongebus was not good. Seems the owner had over torqued the muffler bearings thus creating a friction event that manifested itself as an intermittent slide issue.

A root cause analysis confirmed an induced case of Owner Care Repair and Prevention (OCRAP).

Seems the Spongebus has several OCRAP issues..........

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
HEY JDUB: O C R A P BITEME !!!!!

Gary S.