PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix?

phorner
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in the Phoenix, AZ area?

We would like to stay several nights probably 4 or 5 or so...

Jerry Winchester
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Do you need to be in Phoenix or will NE of Scottsdale work?

I have stayed at Apache Palms in Tempe and it was not very sweet.

But I sayed at Eagle View near Fort McDowell and it was way nice, but is a fair piece out of town.

phorner
08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
JDUB,

We don't need to be in Phoenix proper, but would like a spot to use as a base to do some exploring from...

Thanks for the tip....

LarryB
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
East of PHX is Gold Canyon, just east of Apache Junction. Nice park there.
North of PHX near Cave Creek is a Maricopa county Rec Area with very nice sites, good price but common dump site and are always full in the winter months. West of PHX is the area of Surprise, Sun Flower Resort is OK but that area always feels very busy to me.

I can come up with phone numbers and a few more if you need.

Ray Davis
08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Just a little south of there in Tucson is Beaudry RV. The treated a bunch of us really nice as we were enroute to POG3.

One word of caution. I was out in the Mesa AZ area (close to Phoenix) a couple of weeks ago, and it's brutal out there. Day time is around 110, and you definitely need to keep A/C running 24/7. The low tends to be around 95 degrees in the evening.

Any of the parks in Mesa are almost completely empty, but you can get a spot with 50A power for about $30 per night. They have a bunch of parks which I assume are usually busy with the snowbirds. I went there to visit my brother, and we were the only motorhome in the park. The remaining 1200 permanent homes were almost 100% empty!

Ray

Ray Davis
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
PS: If you're going to make it all the way to Southern CA, give us a shout. I'm sure some of us would love to get together, and grab a bite to eat some evening!

Ray

ajhaig
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Eagle View near Fort McDowell - Good, clean spot with free coffee and doughnuts!

We needed to rig up two sewer hoses to reach the sewer drain, not a big deal but keep it in mind.

phorner
08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Ray,

At this point, we do expect to get into California. Janice has never been there and, heck, we might as well travel coast-to-coast to get to POG OKC :)

We will be a week or so at the Outdoor Resorts - Rancho California, tentatively to arrive on Friday, August 28.

Ray Davis
08-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Paul,

Let's stay in touch. The whole Southern CA crew lives within about one hour of Rancho, and I'm sure several of us would love to get together.

I don't know if it fits with your schedule, but Kevin E and I will be leaving for OKC on September 26th, getting in a bit early (Monday the 28th). If it fits with your plans, you are certainly invited to caravan with us.

Mike Simmons will be leaving a couple of days later, I think on Monday, and would probably enjoy company as well.

We're still trying to rope in the details of when everyone is traveling out.

I look forward to meeting up with you during your time out at Rancho. If you would like, I would be happy to sign you and your wife into Disneyland.

Ray

Lawrence M.
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Pueblo El Mirage is a Golf and RV resort located Northwest of Phoenix. (Sun City) They have pull-thru spaces. I have used them on several occasions with good results. You should be able to get summer rates.

phorner
08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! We'll surely find a spot.

Ray,

It would be great to get together with you and some of the West Coast POGers!

We'll keep in touch....

Steve Bennett
08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Paul, if you want to be on the East side of town in Scottsdale you can try West-World. It is the spot where the hold the Barrett Jackson auction. It is more of a fairground type setting, but they have 50 amps and it is in the North end of Scottsdale.

phorner
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, we ended up spending a few days at the Pueblo El Mirage RV resort. Very nice place.

And it was HOT!!

As the temps in the inverter bay approached 115, I set up a portable fan behind a bucket of ice blowing toward the inverters. I didn't know just how much heat they can handle.

My fan setup dropped the temperature all the way down to 112..... for a little while :)

Ray,

We're headed your way today :)