PDA

View Full Version : Hands up...

rodburtonmusic
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Ok...If I knew how to display me throwing my hands up...I'd be doing it here.

I had an issue with my house batteries not holding a charge. So I disconnected and isolated to allow them to charge and test Yep...2 of the 4 shot..1 on it's way to death. The 4th one was good, but you know. When I hooked them back up (I didn't actually remove them from the bays..just slid them out and disconnected) my heart monitor up front showed an overload on the display, along with one of the other indicators. The troubleshooting guide suggested that a problem might be that one of them was way beyond discharged...so I changed the batteries, all 4 of them. Hooked up 4 brand new wet cells, changed the dip switch configs to match...and still have an overload. The DC bars again show #1 and #4..which just says it's an overload or short.

I've tried to reset the invertor by removing all power...still nothing. I've talked now to Gustorf who says it may be the invertor is shot, or may be a short, and has explained how I can test that...but it's not really my area of comfort to deal with these.

So...who does it? Since Executive is obvious no longer around...is it just an RV shop that carries big rigs like this? Who do you guys take your coaches to in problems like this?

Jerry Winchester
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
If you are in IL and not for from Elkhart, IN, I would let Glenn or Dan at Royale Phoenix look at it. One of them is an electrical engineer and everyone who has had work done there speaks highly of them.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Under ordinary circumstances I would check the input power to the inverter, and following that measure the output or charging power to the batteries.

But I see the coach is an 87 which means it did not originally come with an inverter / charger. My first step then would be to review the installation just to make sure there is nothing there that could be at fault.

Then I would check things as I stated in the first paragraph. I would especially check all fittings and connections because if and inverter is not connected to batteries and is powered up it may create a problem. A bad connection may be seen by the inverter as though there were no batteries connected.

It may be as simple as a bad inverter, which in turn led to bad batteries but it is important to check eveything else out however.

rodburtonmusic
08-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Just an update...was able to talk with some folks 'in the know' on how to determine where my problem was. After disabling the output and rechecking for an overload indicator, it's clear the board or something on the inverter is bad. This is a Freedom 25/24 that is at least 15 years old...maybe more. So...I've got a new trace 36/24 on the way.

So best I can tell...the swap out doesn't look like it'll be too bad...any thoughts or suggestions as I approach this next week?