PDA

View Full Version : I-10 in East Texas

ajducote
08-17-2009, 11:24 AM
We will be headed west on I-10 later this week to go to Buckhorn Lake. Looking for the best route around or thru Houston and San Antonio. It has been 20 to 25 years since I have been west of New Orleans, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry Winchester
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Drive straight down I-10. Just don't do it from 6am - 10am or 3pm to 7pm.

Here is a link to all the Houston area road closures. I-10 isn't on it right now, but they have had it closed on the weekends near the I-610 East Loop for some ramp construction. It was open this weekend, so that may be finished.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Loc
08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Andre,

My recommendation is to take I-12 around New Orleans (between Slidell and Baton Rouge) unless you are going specifically to New Orleans. It is a much better road (in most places other than around Slidell and just east of Baton Rouge) and its shorter than staying on I-10 through New Orleans. As for I-10in Houston, the only time that traffic will be bad is in the morning from 7 to 8:30 on the east side of downtown. Now that they have finished the mega freeway project on I-10 west of Downtown, the west side of town is generally not a problem. I take I-10 west home everyday and most days I average 65 mph. There is one bottleneck at the Beltway/Tollway (exit 756) but it is not a significant slowdown (maybe an extra 5 to 10 minutes if traffic is really bad). If you come through town after 9 am and before 4 pm you will wonder what everybody is talking about when they say Houston has bad traffic. Do not take the I-610 loop just stay on I-10 - its quicker and a better road. JDUB lives up in Northwest Houston and can't be expected to know what the real Houston is like these days. He is just continuing the urban legends.

We look forward to seeing you in Kerrville at the Fat Beagle. Let me know how you would like your name tag to read.

Loc

ajducote
08-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Jerry and Loc,

Thanks for the info on Houston. Not knowing any better, I would have looked at the map and taken the loop. Now I know better.

Loc, for name tags, almost anything is fine. As simple or as fancy as you care them to be.

Andre

Ann

OR

Andre Ducote
Titusville, FL

Ann Ducote
Titusville, FL

phorner
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Andre,

We just drove the I-10 to I-12 back to I-10 route with no problems. We then drove through Houston and San Antonio on a Sunday morning, so traffic was very light.

There is some construction to deal with along I-10 in the Houston area, but it mostly looked like shoulder work.

As you travel through these cities, there are several good lane markings showing you the correct lane to be in for continuing along the interstate. Follow them and you will be fine.

We're leaving Kerrville tomorrow morning, but we had a very nice stay here.

Have a safe trip.

Jerry Winchester
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
So Beagle Boy drives a 5 mile stretch of I-10 four times a month and he is an expert? I thought you worked in Manhattan?

So when you get to the office at 5am and leave at 7pm, you judge the traffic how? Oh, I forget the Fish Bowl has a window overlooking I-10 from I-45 to about TC Jester (the one part of I-10 that's never clogged because it has 50 lanes so the AIG commuters / government workers can get on and off easily).

JDUB actually drives on I-10 East twice a week, so my 8 beats your 4.

Bite Me.

ajducote
08-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Is everyone who lives in Texas so easily riled up? I thought JDUB and Loc were driven around by a chauffeur when they went to work. Maybe they asked thier driver which way was best?

Ok, guys, I really do appreciated all the info, the good, the bad and the weird. See you all soon.

Loc
08-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Andre,

To avoid San Antonio, take Loop 1604 (exit 587) north around San Antonio. It is shorter and you will avoid downtown. The traffic downtown is generally worse and the road signs are somewhat confusing. The only caution is try to avoid this on a Friday afternoon between 4 and 7 pm. The traffic gets backed up (its still better than going through town). Loop 1604 will put you back onto I-10 on the Northwest side of San Antonio.

Never mind the Taco Eater, he had to buy me lunch last week and is feeling abused. He really is a nice guy if you can chainsaw through the marshmallow exterior.

Loc

phorner
08-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Andre,

I drove the Loop 1604 around San Antonio on the way to Kerrville and it is surely the way to avoid San Antonio. The first part is 2 lane with a few traffic lights, but quickly becomes a freeway.

It's a good choice.