PDA

View Full Version : West Texas

phorner
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
We're in Kerrville, TX and headed west, still on our way to OKC the LONG way. :)

Any bus-friendly stopping spots recommended along I-10 between Kerrville and El Paso?

Thanks...

ajducote
08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Paul,

Did you stay at Buckhorn Lake? If so, we will miss you by one week. We will be at Buckhorn this coming Sunday.
How hot is it out there right now?
Hope you guys are enjoying the trip to OKC.

Safe Travels

jelmore
08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Paul, if you have a few days on the way, drop down to Marathon. It's a great base to explore Marfa, a fabulous art town, and of course Big Bend.

phorner
08-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Andre,

Yes, we're at Buckhorn Lake. Sorry to have missed you. Yesterday it was 100, should be the same today. But, it's nice and cool in the bus.. those cruiseairs humming away. :)

While you're here, if you've never been to Luckenbach, you need to check it out.

Jim,

That sounds like a great side trip, but our schedule is kinda tight this time. We're headed ultimately to California before we turn around and head to OKC.

ajhaig
08-17-2009, 10:56 AM
We stopped over at the KOA in Fort Stockton. I'm not a big KOA fan, but this place was fine for an overnight, I think it's about halfway to El Paso... They run a small restaurant with good food.

Edit - I think it is no longer a KOA, I believe it's now called the Fort Stockton RV Park.

merle&louise
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
We have stayed at Fort Stockton RV park many times. It is a nice little park for an overnight. It is almost always full, so call ahead and make a reservation. We have had to park in the over flow lot (no hook-ups) once.

phorner
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the reply's. We've stayed at the Ft. Stockton KOA in the past and that's where we were thinking for an overnight stop.

Jerry Winchester
08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
I stayed at WalMart in Fort Stockton. West Texas is pretty much a pile of

in a rustic kind of way......

phorner
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
JDUB,

I hear ya.... we're tryin' to get through there with as little down time as possible.

phorner
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
That Walmart is lookin' better 'n better.

The Ft. Stockton RV Park could use a major electrical power upgrade.

If I shut down everything (including one battery charger) except the TV and 2 Cruiseairs, I can get up to as much as 110 volts on each leg.

If you increase the load much beyond that, the voltages quickly drop to the 106 - 107 range :eek:

ajducote
08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Paul,
This could be one of those times where running the generator is cheaper and more comfortable then fighting bad rv park power. I have actually had to run my genny in an old rv park on hot afternoons so I could run all 3 AC's to stay cool. Would usually dry a load of clothes at the same time.

Jerry Winchester
08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
ToedYa..........

I stayed in an old RV park the other day with the same problem. With all three Cruisairs running and the dryer on, I was down to 106 volts and everything in the bus started squawking.

Finally ran the generator until the clothes got dry then whittled everything else down until the voltage improved enough to run the AC. Major PITA.

garyde
08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I think many of these older Parks have not kept up with the new RV power requirements. It can be quite a cost beginning with the Utility company and upgrading all conduit ,wire and pedestals thru-out the Park.
So, its a good thing to ask if the Park has been upgraded, they may have liability if they have not designed it properly.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Since Jamestown Advanced sells a lot of electrical power outlets to RV parks we love it when they upgrade, but we know from experience if an RV park can save $1 by either buying something cheaper or not buying anything at all that is the path they will take.

As a result, if we are going to stay in an RV park I look for one that is new or nearly new. There are clues to finding those. In their description in books like Woodall's it will say things like all sites have 50 amp, or all sites are pull through, or sites are 70 feet long, or big rigs welcome. Parks that were built when Winnebagos were 24 feet long may have some 50 amp, but like we found in Polk City at POG #1 there is more to it than having a 50 amp receptacle. It starts at the utility service to the RV park and requires the right size cable, transformers, length of runs, etc.

Despite the fact that at POG #1 most of us had to deal with 105 volts I'll bet that problem is still not resolved.

rfoster
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Jon: You can add to the list the Rally area of The Great Outdoors in Titusville.

The voltage dropped there and my neighbors fired up their Gens (Jim Keller and Pete Petree) before I did. My dishwasher bit the bullet because of low voltage. (not the two legged one)

Old lot - 50 amp service- too much demand.

Troutline
08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
If it works with your itinerary, the KOA is Van Horn is very friendly. The streets and sites are just gravel but they have a great cafe on the grounds and will deliver your dinner to you at you bus. Pretty good biscuits and gravy in the morning, too,

Happy trails.

phorner
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Carol,

Thanks for the info! Next time through, we'll be sure to check it out...

GDeen
08-19-2009, 11:00 PM
A relatively new Flying J at Lordsville NM also has the nicest truck stop RV parking I have seen yet. Long slots out in the front of the building under lights. Nice and quiet and away from the trucks which makes for a great quick overnight a little west of El Paso.

merle&louise
08-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Gordon,

Would that be Lordsburg, NM? Exit 24?

GDeen
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes it would Tuga - thanks.:o

rahangman
08-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Amarillo doesn't neccesarily qualify for West Tx, but we stayed there this last May for 1 night. Met Sid Tuls and his better half while there. A really nice park, easy in/out off the Interstate, good Electricity, etc. and of course the ever friendly Tuls. I would not hesitate to use this for a great stop over