PDA

View Full Version : 2007 H3 Vantari

jack14r
08-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Biltmore Financial which was owned by J.V. Huffman of Clermont,NC was operating a Ponzi scheme and he got caught,the auction was today and continues until all is sold.They auctioned a 2007 Vantari H3 with 18,000 miles (shell is an 06)this morning for $500,000+10% bidders fee for a total of $550,000.The coach was very nice,needed a bath,1 flat screen (small one in the front over the passenger had been stolen)was missing but all in all it was very nice and it had been garage kept.The next item was a 2000 Featherlite stacker trailer which matched the bus,it brought about $25,000.The condition of the trailer was only OK.I don't know if we have hit the bottom yet but if I had to bet I would bet that the bottom is still in the future.I also heard that the 2005 Liberty for $499,000 has sold to Novia Scotia.

garyde
08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I think it would be great to have some statistics on New and Used Prevost Sales for 2008 and the first half of 2009. If I had a guess, I would think sales are picking up and we will see major reductions this year.

jack14r
09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Yesterday a friend of mine was driving the 07 Vantari through Illinois with a Montana tag on it and a state trooper stopped them because if the vehicle is registered in an LLC in Montana and in IL it is a commercial vehicle and must have the correct inspection sticker,fuel permits,driver must have a CDL,etc.the fine was $1000 for the owner and $20 for the driver.They paid a small amount for a permit to get them out of the state.Has anyone else heard about any other state doing this?State revenue is down and we are a big target from their perspective.

rahangman
09-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Sounds like some people will start detouring the great state of Illinois. Is this a new way of "Profiling"? Wonder what the original reason for being stopped was? If this in fact what Illinois wants, will they do it just random or will they set up road blocks...sheesh, what next?

phorner
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I think that you will see many more states taking the position that if a bus is owned by a "company", rather than an "individual", that commercial vehicle regulation will apply. Especially if there is the potential for added revenue.

And, it may be a tough policy to contest if the bus is, in fact, a "business" asset.

I doubt that we will see enforcement based solely to this specific issue, however.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I am clearly not an attorney, but I don't think that having something in an LLC makes it a commercial venture.

Maybe LA-HODAG or someone else that is an attorney will give an opinion on this.

Jack where specifically was this incident in Ill, do you know??

JIM

Sid Tuls
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I believe the Montana plates sets you up as an automatic target!! Be careful when going through Calif. make sure if you are towing and you have Montana plates on the bus make sure you also have them for your tow!!!! They will get you!!!!

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-18-2009, 01:12 PM
To me this is bureaucratic extorsion.

You will be cited and illegal or not it is up to you to defend yourself at YOUR EXPENSE.

The LLC does not make it commercial nor would a C corp if the vehicle is not used for "the hauling of goods or people for hire", imho.

I have been advised by my attorney to purchase a travel permit for $20.00 upon entering the state of Ill. :p:rolleyes::D

JIM

Orren Zook
09-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I was in Illinios last Thursday & Friday. We were in Valpraiso, Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington then up to Chicago and then home on I-80/I-90. I'm sporting Ohio plates on the bus and toad. We never even saw any traffic cops in IL but they were stopping speeders on the Indiana toll road. As per Jon's suggestion: at 62.5 mph you're just under their radar.

phorner
09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Another BIG caution is work zones. A friend of ours was ticketed and the fines were double because it was a work zone. Cited for 7 or 8 MPH above work zone speed limit.

This is perhaps one of the easiest tickets to get, as most car drivers either ignore the lowered limit or don't lower enough, and they try to ride your tail (or even pass you) if you're doing the work zone limit.

No one wants a moving violation, especially far from home.

rfoster
09-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I am going to Chicago next week in the bus on the way to OKC (yea really) to see if ACORN will assist me in my new business endeavor. I sure would hate to get a ticket that might soil my record prior to receiving funding. (Its a sheep farm).

Please tell me what interstates to avoid, I dont want a ticket.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking a set of TN dealer plates on the toad and bus could be easy to explain. You sold the bus with the condition it have new awnings, right? Then you are delivering it, but wanted to spend money for awnings in IL. That and a $50 bribe ought to get you through IL easily.

truk4u
09-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm with Sid, Montana plates are going to be a target and the money hungry states are looking for revenue anyway they can get it. Lets face the facts, most Montana LLC's were set up to avoid sales tax and the state weenies have figured that out!:(

jack14r
09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Jim,They left St Louis headed for North Carolina,I don't know what interstate they were on but there was no other violation,the officer saw the Montana plate and he told them that they were a sitting duck.

Kevin Erion
09-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Just get California plates, help a good friend out. Last year my registration fees where $2000.00, this year, $3300.00. With over 12% unemployment, they are going to make up all the losses on car registration.

hobobimmer
09-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Last year my registration fees where $2000.00, this year, $3300.00. With over 12% unemployment,

Kevin:

By way of comparison, our annual registration for our bus is $24, and our county's unemployment has been over 20% and last month was 19.9%, the highest unemployment rate in Tennessee (and that's the reporting folks - it doesn't include the folks kicked off the rolls who still are not employed).

Love this country living.

Eric/Deb Faires

sawdust_128
09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Illinois is yanking people, trucks, buses, cars left and right off the I70. In 100 miles I counted 16 pulled vehicles. I also saw the price of diesel drop $.30 per gallon at the missouri line and gas dropped $.38 per gallon.

The action was greatest out of the work zones. The Truckers seemed to be well aware of the situation. I only had three pass me at 62 mph the whole time I was on the 70.

Lots of motorcycle cops.

garyde
09-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Troopers can pull you over if they want I guess but if they don't have probable cause, you should be able to get it thrown out.
I don't believe checking a guys papers is probable cause.
There is a huge distinction between commercial plates and a Montana plate.
Being that it is a private coach and not a commercial transport would be just one thing.
I would speak with the Montana Attorney the LLC is with and maybe send a letter to law inforcement in that state. Where's the pushback on this?

Sid Tuls
09-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Gary, you don't want to ask the Ca. Highway Patrol. They said they are out to shut them down. Believe me they made were going to make me a poster boy:eek: But then again I had Montana plates on the bus and Ca. plates on my tow.(a dead give away):rolleyes:

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-19-2009, 07:32 AM
From what I know of this event, the person pulled over and cited was stopped by the same kind of "official" that weighed the buses at Spearfish. He was not a Ill trooper. The driver did not get a ticket, just had to write a check for the travel permit and get the verbal abuse of a tongue lashing. The "ticketing officer" did not leave his name or badge number.
I think that with that department the probable cause is that they want to see your "papers" and make sure you are legal.
If it looks like a bus it might be a bus, or it might be an RV, I'll just stop it and see what it is and if everything is in order. That might be the scene?

I still say that ownership of any vehicle by a corporation does not make that vehicle a commercial vehicle. It is the use of the vehicle that conveys that classification. Conversely there can exist a commercial vehicle that is not owned by a corporation, but by an individual.

The scary thing pointed out with this incident is that one can be stopped at any time at someones whim and shaken down for no good reason, with the only recourse an expensive and time consuming confrontation in court, or pay the fine/tax and be done with it.

JIM:mad:

hhoppe
09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I knuckled under and changed from Montana to California plates on the bus. In OKC you are welcome to take as many photographs of the CA plates as you wish. In the future they can be sold on EBAY as relics of a bygone erra. I'll try and find a Pelosi campaign sticker to put along side the relic.
See you soon can't wait.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Harry, You are the man. Di and I are counting on going to dinner with you and Shirley the night before the rally starts.

Sid Tuls
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I knuckled under and changed from Montana to California plates on the bus. In OKC you are welcome to take as many photographs of the CA plates as you wish. In the future they can be sold on EBAY as relics of a bygone erra. I'll try and find a Pelosi campaign sticker to put along side the relic.
See you soon can't wait.

Harry, I think you should pass on the Pelosi sticker because they might use your bus as a target for practice for the shooting games in OCK:eek: You can always stop by my place in Visalia for a free dinner. Hope you have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hhoppe
09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Jon your on for that dinner. Have you picked a spot? Roger and Micki are joining us also aren't they?

Sid we'll be heading for Bakersfield on the 24th or 25th. You may as well swing in behind us and head for OKC.

Sid Tuls
09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey Harry, could you buy a shirt for me @ the auction charity? I had so much fun at the last rally that I was at with you and your wife!!!! You remember the size?? If not just remember the color:D

phorner
09-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Harry,

Glad to hear you'll be at the rally. I'm looking forward to seeing your bus!

Jon Wehrenberg
09-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Harry, I believe Roger is heading out today and is on his way to OKC via Chicago, NM, and then back to OKC. I suspect they will arrive the day before the rally and of course they should join us. Roger is the only one with a valid credit card.

We'll find a place. Not tacos.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The Illinois commerce commission has no interest in vehicles not being used commercially. They said if you are not receiving compensation for your use then it is not commercial in their eyes.

I asked the ICC about a travel permit, and was directed to the Illinois Secretary of State. 1.217.524.7887.

I asked the gal there about a travel permit and explained that I wanted to pass through Ill. and wanted to be legal.
She asked her supervisor about that and I was told that Illinois honors the way other states title their vehicles. Meaning that if your vehicle is titled as an Recreational Vehicle (RV abbreviation) or Coach (CH abbreviation) then it is considered an RV even if it is titled in an LLC, even though Illinois does not title RVs in an LLC.
Again there must be no compensation involved.

I further asked; What if I am stopped and challenged on this point? Her reply was; Tell the officer the Secretary of State said what I told you.

I entered the phone number into my cell phone and if need be and during office hours will refer any officer to talk to the office of Illinois Secretary of State for a clarification on the point of law.

As an aside and FYI in Montana RVs and ordinary motor vehicles such as automobiles are titled through the State of Montana Department of Justice - Motor Vehicle Division.

Commercial vehicles such as Trucks and Buses are titled through the State of Montana Department of Transportation.

JIM:)

henryhighwood
09-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I travel a good portion of I-80 across the mid portion of Illinois almost daily.
I have seen all kinds of things on I-80. I have seen many coaches and conversions, but have yet to see one stopped by Illinois' finest.
(except of course for the one that went through the median and ended up facing oncoming traffic, but that one was stopped before the troopers arrived)

jack14r
09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I have heard that last week in southern IL they targeted Montana tagged coaches and if they were registered to an LLC and that they issued 200 citations for IFTA violations(not all were motorcoaches).

rfoster
09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Yall gonna have to quit talking about Illinois, at least while we are deep in it.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0255.jpg
Zip Dee Awning - Elk Grove Village Illinois, northwest of Chicago.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0257.jpg
Look Ma: No Awnings
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0261.jpg
New Awnings being installed. See $$$$$ Signs
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG0256.jpg
Mr. Toolman Jim Keller is next:

Gary & Peggy Stevens
09-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Here you go again with ALL THAT BLING Stuff. :eek:

Roger, when are you going to just rest and enjoy life as it is ? :eek: :D

Did the previous King of Bling trophies stay with your last bus, or did you carry them over to the CC?

Gary S.