PDA

View Full Version : Fuel additives

ken&ellen
08-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Since I am busy changing fuel filters on my gen set and Webasto I guess fuel is on my mind. Since all the diesel here in VA is reduced sulfur should I be using an additive? If so which one? I was in NAPA today and they have every conceivable brand as well as formulas. Suggestions or recommendations. Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
This response if offered without the complexity of actually having knowledge about the subject.

If you run frequently and are keeping the fuel fresh I would not be concerned about additives. If you sit for extended periods, especially in hot weather, I would be concerned about the growth of algae, but beyond additives to stabilize the fuel due to inactivity I would not feel the need to add anything.

What does DD suggest?

Orren Zook
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
As long as you buy your fuel at a reputable truck stop you shouldn't need any kind of additive during the warmer months, in extremely cold conditons an anti-gel might be needed, but only if the coach was to set outside for an (not running) extended period of time in sub zero weather. I also try not to fuel when a tanker is unloading to underground tanks as that will stir up any water/condensation that has settled to the bottom of the tank.