PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Inverter Cooling

BrianE
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
A recent failure of one of our inverters led to the discovery that Liberty originally installed a small cooling fan in the rear of the inverter compartment. Had I not removed the inverters I would never have known that it was there. To my amazement and disappointment, this fan is not referenced in any publication or wiring diagram supplied by Liberty. Furthermore it was wired directly to the AC output of the outboard inverter and had NO circuit protection. I found that the fan had failed at some point in the 12 year life of our bus. It's failure may have contributed to the heat damage we found in the inboard inverter.

1. Would suggest that Liberty owners whose inverters are located just forward of the electrical bay check the condition of this 120v fan.
2. Would like to ask if anyone has made improvements in the Liberty installation and what did they consist of. Thermal fan switch? filter between electrical bay and inverter bay? Larger fan? Comments?
Many thanks.

BrianE
94 Liberty XL

ken&ellen
08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I too have a fan, but I have not climbed into the bay to check it out. I will put on the list of things to check out. Thanks for the heads up. Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Brian,

Our 97 has a pair of fans located on our 45 footer above the Webasto. A switch above the night stand controls the fans.

I can't tell you about circuit protection, but I recently replaced them with a pair from WW Grainger because one of the original ones was making noise. I keep them on at all times.

My inverters however have an integral fan and the fans are evidently thermostatically controlled because they will kick on if the inverter / charger is working. I see the pair of fans above the Webasto as primary, and the integral fans as backup.

FWIW, the fans on my coach are mounted horizontally, and they are a type only listed as for vertical mounting.. My new ones are for mounting in any position, and if anybody needs the WW Grainer part number I will go get it and post it.

MangoMike
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Jon,

My handsome Liberty is starting to make inverter fan noise -so the Grainger number would be appreciated. Can I get the LED model?

How difficult was the change out, and should I wait until I visit you next ;)

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Piece of cake. The fans (external) are mounted above the Webasto.

If the fans making noise are the internal fans, not so easy. The bed lift has to be disassembled, the platform under the mattress removed, and that gives access to the inverters which then have to be removed, disassembled and the internal fan replaced.

If that is the one let me know because I want to be busy that day.

I will post the external fan numbers tomorrow AM

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Mango et al:

The external inverter cooling fans on my Liberty are WW Grainger Number 6KD76. Two are required. These are 120 V AC

The internal inverter fan is the same external dimensions, except it is 1" thick compared to 1 1/2" external fan thickness. The internal fan is 24 V DC. I could not find a WW Grainger equivalent. The Heart part number MAY be SVC 17864 or 34-6118-00. ( I am not sure of that)

MangoMike
08-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks Jon,

Will order mine today from Grainger.

Note: AM moving ahead w/ your Ribs. Have ordered this baby for Bubba Mike's BBQ.

http://www.pigroast.com/images/digital-pictures-0021.jpg

Bubba

Just Plain Jeff
08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
BubbaMike:

You seem to be missing something:
http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/leds/blinking.gif

rfoster
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Mango: Glad to see you are making plans for an alternate cooker as I will be bringing home the STAINLESS BLING COOKER

If you have time to change your order - Stainless is better. Just look at those Prevost buses.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Roger,

See if Micki can get your prescription renewed. You are obviously delusional. I will be bringing home the cooker.

Mango is towing that kettle to POG II. He told me it has a Hemi.