PDA

View Full Version : Pre Rally Trip-Monument Valley

rfoster
08-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Thinking of a trip to Denver via I 70, then down to and thru Monument Valley then on back to the OKC rally. Any recommendations on "dos and don'ts"?

Is it better to go Bluff or Mexican Hat for the Monument Valley stop?

Is it better to go South from Denver to Montrose, Durango? or go toward western Colorado then south?

Feedback welcome.

jelmore
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
All ears here on that I70 west. Coming from Sturgis, we're in Denver end of this week for a couple of weeks and then west. North to 80 looks like a good route into Salt Lake City and then south to the canyons. But if 70 is not too white knuckle, that may be the route.

Loc
08-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Roger,

I don't know where you are heading in Colorado, but I would recommend against driving the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray, CO and Durango, CO). This is a great drive, but not much fun in a bus with three mountain passes and a fair amount of the road without guardrails. I would opt for taking I-70 through Grand Junction over to Moab, UT. I-70 from Denver west has several ups and downs but we have done most of it in the bus and it is not bad provided the Jake Brake is in proper working order. I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is arguably the most scenic interstate drive in the US. In Moab stop at Arches NP and Canyonlands NP (Arches is one of our favorite NP's). Portal RV Resort is the nicest RV park in Moab. Then head south on US 191 to Bluff. At Bluff take US 163 through Mexican Hat all the way to Monument Valley. This is a very scenic drive with only one steep 10% grade (uphill) for about 2 miles (not really bad). If I remember Gouldings is the only RV park in Monument Valley (someone else can chime in). From Monument Valley take US 163 south to Kayenta, AZ. Just east of Kayenta take State Hwy 59 South to Many Farms. In Many Farms take US 191 south to Chinle and make a stop at Canyon de Chelly National Monument, an incredible sandstone Canyon with cliff dwellings and petroglyphs and petrographs. Thunderbird Lodge has a great trip with a Navajo guide that takes you through the Canyon from the floor (also can get a guide for your 4WD vehicle to give you a personal tour). From Chinle, head south on US 191 to Ganado, AZ and then take State Hwy 264 to Gallup, NM. From there it is a straight shot on I-40 to OKC.

Loc

merle&louise
08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
That's exactly what I was going to say!:D

lloyd&pamela
08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Loc is correct Gouldings is the only campground in Monument Valley. It is nicely situated in a canyon and is only minutes away from the entrance to monument valley. That is helpful if you want to catch any of the magical hours (sunrise & sunset).

Roger we have several blog posts on Durango and the UT and AZ sites you are considering. They may help since they include photos. You can just search by location at http://prevost.wordpress.com

GDeen
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
We just drove the route west out of Durango up through Moab opting for that rather than the 550 route as Loc suggested. Very scenic with changes in terrain all along the way. Very easy in the bus.

Also second the I-70 west of Denver - nice scenery all the way to the Carbondale exit. Just watch for Elk right along the interstate! There are signs and they are worth paying attention to. Almost whacked one last summer in a rental car.

rfoster
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Loc:

I don't know where I am heading in Colorado either.

But thanks for the response. It has been many, many years since I was west of Denver (back when the rental car would spit and sputter going to Vail) due to altitude.

Tuga: Thanks for your response. It is very hard to understand Cajun over the interenet. I can understand Loc - he is from Texas sometimes. Now he works with / for the government.

What is petrogliphs and petrographs? Is that when Petro goes up or down?

Appreciate the help on Campgrounds, I had already checked on the Gouldings and was my pick from their website.

Any additional info is always appreciated.

Loc
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Roger,

I didn't know what they were before going to Canyon de Chelly. Petroglyphs are pictures carved into rock and petrographs are pictures draw on rock. If you choose to go west out of Denver there is a top notch RV park in Breckenridge called Tiger Run.

Loc

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Roger, I didn't know what they were before going to Canyon de Chelly. Petroglyphs are pictures carved into rock and petrographs are pictures draw on rock. If you choose to go west out of Denver there is a top notch RV park in Breckenridge called Tiger Run. Loc

Loc, ROGER just pulled your chain, BIG TIME !!!! :D And you tagged along too! :p

Gary S.

truk4u
08-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Tuga - Yippee, your still with us!

merle&louise
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Truk,

Good to be back. How was OSH this year? Was that patch of green grass still there (where my coach was parked last year)?

Roger,

If you are a John Wayne fan be sure to see the little museum at Gouldings. It has good photos on the wall of when the "Duke" was filming in Monument Valley and a bunch of other Wayne memorabilia. Louise is a big John Wayne fan, I guess that's why she married me! Since the Duke and I look so much alike:)

Have fun buddy - tell Micki we said hi!

rfoster
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Tuga: I just now realized who you favored when you mentioned John Wayne. It was the guy called Festus wasn't it? I will get Karen some new glasses and paint the image on the inside of them. It's great to have you guys back on the forum.

G. Dean: Thanks for the warning on the Elk - that is the reason I prefer to drive in the daylight only. I have had to dodge a deer or two in the last 5 miles of a trip a couple times around here.

Lloyd and Pamela: You two are the envy of POG. Keep on keeping on with the great photos and info.
Its your fault that I have to do all this driving and burning of diesel fuel.

Ain't it great!!!

Loc: You are doing a fine job with the tourist guide help. I will drop the Senator a letter noting your fine efforts. I will be sure to check the Petros out. Or is it Pedro?

Toy Box
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Fast Roger: Highly recommend Gouldings in Monument Valley. If you come thru Durango, please consider staying at our place. Full hook up and decent surroundings. Don't forget the big nuts. s.Uncle George

rfoster
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Uncle George:

Thats a great post!

I have NOT forgotten the big nuts. Probably never will. Everytime I am in a place that sells them - I look.

Thanks for the very generous and gracious offer of accomodating us poor bus folks. We have not firmed up all the plans, dates, and stops as yet - I move slow plus still trying to make a buck is cramping my progress.

We are definitely planning on Monument Valley if nothing else ---to do a drive by. Will have to see were Durango will fit in time wise.

Jim Skiff
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Roger,

It's good to see Toy Box back on the board.

The guy sent me a check a while back that practically made him a lifetime member.

Convince him to fill out the detailed acceptance form for OKC!;)

Jim