PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs Engine Brake

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I found this manual by accident, hope it will be found interesting and useful!

Items in sections 5 & 6 have been discussed on the forum.

http://www.jakebrake.com/pdf/29901B.pdf

JIM

dalej
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks Jim!

I haven't had an issue, but I will save the .pdf in my file.

No.....wait! I have a 8V, maybe that's why I haven't had an issue.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Dale, I'm thinking you went from a positive to a negative.

Is that Thank You now a No Thanks? :rolleyes: :D

JIM

dalej
08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Sorry to say...No Thanks

Us 8V guys are having to listen to a lot of chat about the the big 60 but we are just buying our time.

We are kind of like the wicked witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz...I'll (8v) get-ch you my pretty. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Dale, You and Truk should hang together and set up your own forum. Then all the 8V folks can talk about how to get oil for your engines, how to catch the oil thrown from your engines, and how to wash the oil from your engines off your trailers.

Truk is just braggin about his because he's had it 3 weeks so its gettin time to flip his bus for another. He doesn't want to bad mouth something he is trying to sell.

But the sound of an 8V is like music.

truk4u
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Harsh, very harsh..

Dale - The only music A-1 hears has to start with bubbles and his favorite words "a one and a two.":rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
The rattle of a Series 60 is music to my ears.

dalej
08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Jon,

Does your engine rattle? My 8v is tight and just purrs.

It's to bad you had that fire, you could still be enjoying a really great engine.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I can't disagree with you, except the extra five feet and the mileage have spoiled us.

We won't go back, but until we bought our current coach we did not know any better.

BrianE
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Ditto here, Jon. I really miss the green machine.

truk4u
08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Just for Brian....

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
AAH, THAT'S NICE!

JIM

Sid Tuls
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Tom, great picture of your bus! Just wondering I notice that your dome for your Trac Star is color match to your bus is that special paint and did you still have the same reception?

garyde
08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
The paint I used for my sat cover is a epoxy paint with no metal content. Also, any primer needs to have no metal base.

Sid Tuls
08-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks Gary, do you know the brand name?Thanks

truk4u
08-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Sid,

I think it's the same paint that's on the bus and I'm pretty sure it was done at the same time when Brian had it painted. Works great, no complaints.

BrianE
08-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Tom,You really know how to hurt a guy. And to top it off, the guy that did all the interior work on your bus just short turned the Royale when repositioning it in his garage. Big buck insurance fix for him and it puts me on a rush for OKC. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Steve Bennett
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
You can use standard automotive paint on the satellite dome. You need to make sure it is not a metal-flake paint. Sid, if you go to a paint shop, they can pick a color that will match the bus with out the aluminum flake. The only problem with a painted dome is that the new paint finish will cause the rain water to form larger beads do to the increased surface tension. You may notice a loss of reception in the rain. You can coat the dome with a product for that purpose, or calgon dishwasher soap works well. You need to break the surface tension so the water sheets instead of beading up. Do not use a product like Rain-Ex, as it has the opposite effect.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Never cleaning or waxing the dome has the same effect as using something to break the surface tension of the water. I know this is almost a sin to suggest, but in this case a dirty dish does work best because the water will never bead up.

I have seen a lot of domes painted a flat black and I wonder if that is why, because that is unlikely to have water bead on it.

Jerry Winchester
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Jon,

We have some big bus Kotex pads for the 8V guys who show up at OKC. We are going to wring them out after the rally and sell the oil to pay for Skiff's plane ticket back to Cow$hit Corners.

We'll just blow the rest.........

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
With the price of diesel last year all the 8V92 guys invested in the Whole Bus Engine Pan. This device goes under the 8V92 engine, and since it is a pan, the oil is directed to a sump. An automatic pump then transfers the drippings to the fuel tank.

Since the 8V92 burns equal quantities of oil relative to what drips this device actually doubles the oil consumed by combustion, keeps the ground beneath the bus clean and dry, and saves money on fuel. Kind of like having your own oil well.

Leave the Kotex at home. However you may wish to consider bringing the
Tampax to use as a packing material to try to stem the flow (of oil).

truk4u
08-11-2009, 08:25 PM
C'mon you 8V boys, don't let them get away with this trashing of our double breasted Yamaha's! Bring out your pads at OKC you weenies, you won't see barely a dribble from the green machine.

Brian - I'm really sorry for your mishap!:( If I would have known the Royale had a boo boo, I wouldn't have posted the green machine picture in the new 2000 X 2000 format. E-mail me with the details, you don't want to do it here, the Turd Boys will give you some kind of lame award at OKC.:o Sure hope it's back in action for the rally.

Jerry Winchester
08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
We can have one of these stationed between the 8Vs in case of an oil fire. Notice the full lenth drip pan almost as Jon described.

http://www.bootsandcoots.com/images/equip/equip4.jpg

rfoster
08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Brian E. : Me, Bill and Hillary feel your pain. Not really - the don't give a mole crap about you or me.

I know it will hurt but tell us more. You must get that jewell fixed up and make the show in OKC.

I have a can of "fix a dent" if that will help.

BrianE
08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
For the last couple of months the bus has been getting an interior upgrade by the same folks that did Tom's bus. During a shuffle to get another customers bus out of the building, our bus was moved and a wide tailswing bumped the right rear against an old GMC 4103. Cast iron won over stainless. I drove the 100 miles from home to Eugene today to see how bad it is. Was relieved to see it was only a bad scrape above the battery door, a bent tail light stack and a ding in the lower rub rail.

The shop owner (a very good guy), was suitably embarrassed about the whole thing. The new parts were being installed as I watched and Mike Wilson, Tom's wizard painter, is scheduled to do his magic on Friday.

Am getting a little worried about the completion date. It was originally promised next week but that has slid to the end of the month. Paradise Coach Interiors has delivered as promised for me in the past so I'm sure they'll do their level best to git er done. The furniture and trim is in my bus barn so I'll need to put the rig back together again and clean up the mess before we can think of leaving for OKC.

Tom: Will need to be their to attract any attention from the Taco Twins. I could handle it. :eek:

Roger: Hillary is way too busy apologizing to the world for American aggression to take notice of an old Pogger.

tdelorme
08-12-2009, 06:43 AM
We can have one of these stationed between the 8Vs in case of an oil fire. Notice the full lenth drip pan almost as Jon described.

http://www.bootsandcoots.com/images/equip/equip4.jpg

JDUB, you and A-1 both can just kiss my grits. My 8V is dry as a bone and it will be that way in OKC. Go ahead and plant that fire rig next to my bus if you want to, but if you do, I'm gonna steal most every piece off that engine during the week.
That ole red 8V does look nice I will admit.

Jerry Winchester
08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Mel,

I know the only way an 8V92 doesn't leak oil is if you store it dry and I doubt even that would work. The reason your coach doesn't leak oil is that you have to drive it to somehow get the oil stirred up, so when the old hanger queen gets out on the road headed to OKC, we'll have a drip test in your honor.

GDeen
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Used to marvel at the abuse the 8V's would take in a 400 series workover rig.

warm weather / start / full throttle to warm up.

cool weather / start / full throttle to warm up

cold weather / ether in the air cleaner / start / full throttle to warm up

In all cases, hours on end of full throttle to idle every 20 seconds or so. Pretty tough motor.

MangoMike
08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
BrianE,

You're only a nominee if you're at the wheel, as the Wide Turn Award is for self inflicted wounds only.

Sleep well.

mm

Jon Wehrenberg
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
In the interest of full disclosure my 8V92 was dry as a bone, but judging by the reaction I do believe we have found an open wound we can dig at a little more.

Actually an 8V92 is probably just as easy to keep dry as the Series 60 but I sense a lot of mechanics just don't have pride in their work.