PDA

View Full Version : South Texas @ Christmas Time

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Peg and I are looking for a nice place to spend the Christmas / New Years Holidays this year in the bus, and are considering somewhere in South West Texas, or for that matter somewhere within 800-1000 miles of Houston?

We would like some warm / nice weather for our stay, but don't really have the time to go all the way to Palm Springs this year or to the southern part of Florida.

Just looking for ideas, or personal experiences.

We have considered Bentson Village in Mission TX. http://bentsenpalmvillage.com/ Anybody have an experience, good or bad there?

Thanks for your information.

Gary S.

adamdegraff
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Never been to Benston Villiage, but you are within striking distance of two of my favorite places. First, if you haven't been there, Big Bend NP is pretty amazing. Usually the weather is decent down there in the winter, though when we went we had two days of 70 and beautiful followed by an ice storm. So... well, you know, you get what you get.

Also, last year during our tour we stayed at the State park at Padre Island. It is a beautiful beach. But more importantly there is a restaurant nearby called Manuel's that severs what I consider to be the best breakfast burritos in the world. I'm not kidding, I would (and might just) hop a plane to Padre, walk uphill against hurricane strength winds, and wait in line just to sink my teeth into one of these works of art. So... forget Big Bend. And, if you don't mind, fedex me one of those burritos. Oh, did I mention that is an 18 inch, home made, fresh, piping hot flour tortilla, with a finely diced mixture of eggs, peppers, tomatoes, and something I think they call "manchega" beef... which is kind of like a tangy, semi-dry/jerky..... oh, sorry, I drooled on my keyboard.

~Adam

eh.... tried to upload a photo, but won't work. Not oversized, just says the server is busy? What up with that!