PDA

View Full Version : Few Trip Pics

GDeen
08-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Sitting in a hotel parking lot dry camped in Ada Ok on the last evening of our trip, thought I would try out the new photo limits and post a few shots from our trip to the Rockies....

Loc
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Great pix.

tdelorme
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Pertty enough bus to be a Liberty. And, thanks for the wildlife picture. I'm sick of seeing nothing but sheep. You all get home safe.

Toy Box
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Question, were you in Durango, Co. at the K O A on hwy 160 and 172 East of town around July 22-27 ? We live about 2 miles South on 172. Stopped by one late afternoon, but on one seemed to be around.

GDeen
08-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Question, were you in Durango, Co. at the K O A on hwy 160 and 172 East of town around July 22-27 ? We live about 2 miles South on 172. Stopped by one late afternoon, but on one seemed to be around.

We were indeed. Arrived on the 25th, and were at Mesa Verde all day Sunday the 26th. Left early the 27th and drove to Jackson WY. Sorry we missed seeing you.

lloyd&pamela
08-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Gordon we love the photos. We have tried for months to get a great photo of the bus and jeep with a nice background. Every time the light is on the wrong side and we keep looking.

Great color and I hope that was a telephoto shot of the bear. Well done.

GDeen
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Gordon we love the photos. We have tried for months to get a great photo of the bus and jeep with a nice background. Every time the light is on the wrong side and we keep looking.

Great color and I hope that was a telephoto shot of the bear. Well done.

Thanks Lloyd - coming from you that means a lot. Wore the family out stopping at every pullout on that loop in TNP trying to find the best shot against the mountains. Great light that time of morning and the clouds were really cool on the Tetons

Got lucky on the grizzly. We were one of the first cars on the scene as she prepared to cross the road. Ranger let me lean over the hood with the door open and shoot a few frames of her foraging through the wildflowers. 70-200 f2.8 w/ 1.4x extender so not a ton of telephoto.

lloyd&pamela
08-09-2009, 11:39 PM
The light makes all the difference. I was told many years ago, you first look for the light, then the color, and lastly the shot. That is the opposite order from most snapshots and it makes all the difference in the outcome.

We will be in Tetons NP just before the OKC rally and maybe we can get a good shot of the bus there. We will keep looking.

The 70-200 is a great lens (the pros choice), I opted for the 70-300 2.8 because it is slightly shorter, less expensive, and is still good at 300. I rarely ever take it out. I have not done a lot of wildlife photography, but look forward to photographing some in Yellowstone after the Tetons.

The bear shot is very nice. You are braver than I. The inside of the car from the window would be fine for me. The bear was my totem when I was a kid, but I have immense respect for them and give them a wide wide berth.

Please post more photos, we are always looking for great places to visit.

GDeen
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Lloyd,

I agree - light is the key. You do a great job of finding good light in your photos. The "good" morning light was getting harsh quickly when I was trying to get a shot of the bus. I have gotten a little lazy in chasing early and late soft light in my older age, but hope to spend more time in our future bus travels doing so.

I have had the 70-200 for about 12 years and I really like it. When the kids were young and involved in lots of team sports, it was great for action and candid portrait shots. In fact I really like the longer focal length and wide open aperture for portraits. It is a extremely clean lens for a zoom.