PDA

View Full Version : Image Test

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Just a test of the image limitations..

Appears large JPG's are fine, and PNG's are ok as well, though PNG's cannot have thumbnails.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Care to express that in English?

MangoMike
08-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Jon

I has asked Skiffer to increase the size of .png files, which are like .jpg photo files, but offer better resolution if they include text.

mm

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 02:09 PM
First allow me to introduce myself. I'm one of the programmer for the web company that Jim Skiff employed to build this website. (That makes me the guy who he's talking about when he says "I'll talk to my web guy and see if we can fix that".)

I've never actually posted on the board before, but I thought I would just to be 100% sure the image attachments are now working. So...

In English:

I think I fixed the issue with certain images not being posted.

Back to Greek:

I posted this in response to this email that was forwarded to me:

Jim,

A lot more attachments these days are .png, which is like a .jpg, but
allows more definition if you have text included.

Can we increase the attachment size to match a jpg for the forum?

Currently

Thanks

Mike

And so as per his request I have done just that. Also while I was in there, I fixed up the jpg image uploading as well, to set more reasonable limits which should allow posting of bigger images.

Will Garner
08-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Tim,

I just last night learned how reduce picture size in order to post .jpg's. Shucks, now I have to go back to school - again.

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Hello Will,

Don't sweat it, I'm sure what ever you learned will still work. All I've done is made it so more pictures should work with the forum, not less.

Heck, this is a test thread anyway, give it a try right here.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Still works the same way.

tdelorme
08-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Still works the same way.

No, Jon, the sheep are much pettier than before. I still don't see the attraction, but they do look better. We may have some members who are unable to leave their monitor for several days.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2009, 04:04 PM
There's only one POG member able to benefit from a pair of beautiful sheep mounted that high off the ground (that I know of).

I'm sorry for using the word "mounted" if you know what i mean.

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Right, so I assume now that the image uploads have been fixed/improved things appears back to business as usual around here.. so Just drop me a note if you need anything else.

"..So Long and thanks for the fish." ~Douglas Adams.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Tim Leach, any idea why we can't use all CAPITAL letters in the title block any longer?

Any Millennium guys may use this posted image for your avatar if you like.

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
hmm, I don't know.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply:)

JIM

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
LETS SEE IF THIS WORKS....

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
There was a setting to prevent "Shouting", which was preventing the all caps. I turned it off for now, though I'll let Jim Skiff be the final judge if he wants that back on to prevent Cap Abuse.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I think it is all better now, at least until the weekend is over. :confused: :D

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-07-2009, 04:44 PM
1) So Tim, what size and resolution are the limits for pictures posting to POG now ? :)

2) And is the picture posting done any differently now that you have fixed things?

Gary S.

Tim Leach
08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
1) The limits are as described in the add attachment popup. Both jpg and PNG are limited to 7 megs size, and 2000x2000 in dimention.

2) Nope. Like I said before, it works the same now, just better.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
We're all Ladies and Gentlemen here:rolleyes:. There is no abuse on line only at rallies;).

Thanks for the tweaking and come around more often :)

JIM

Loc
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Mel Torme,

How about showing how this works with some pictures of the new paint job.

Loc

tdelorme
08-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Mel Torme,

How about showing how this works with some pictures of the new paint job.

Loc

See you on Sept. 4th LocNes. I'm having just a little work done before our traveling season gets underway so shes not handy to poise at present.

Jerry Winchester
08-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Loc,

Mel is having those nifty sheep murals added to the new paint job, so he doesn't want to reveal it until you can get the full effect.

Just be patient.

Have a chili cheese omelet.

MangoMike
08-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Test 1299 pixs wide

Looks no wider than the other posts. Although it looks like it will now accept wider .jpg's up to 2000 px. without reject, but will only display the 600 px image.

jelmore
08-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Mike, I think the display is limited to 600 pixels. That must be the "thumbnail." Click on it and the full size image is displayed.

For one, I wish the thumbnails were smaller, sometimes. On a slow connection, a page with lots of pics takes a long time to load.

MangoMike
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Jim,

Gotcha, didn't realize the displayed pix was referred to as a thumbnail.

So if you have 300 baud dial up like Jon, you probably want to keep those uploads small.

mm

Will Garner
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Mango,

I thought Jon never exceeded 62.5 by any unit of measure!

Ducking now ... Looking for incoming ...

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Keep looking, it's coming.

Ask Roger if it is easy to keep up with me when he asks me to drive 70. I'm OK with speed, and I have a bad ass cable connection so I can get all the pictures of sheep and sheep herders that I want.

Ray Davis
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Tim,

There has been an issue in the past (I haven't tried today), but many us have been unable to upload jpeg files larger than 600 pixels on a side. I realize that the import manager says it will handle much much more, and I've seen a handful of images on the site that are bigger, however for some reason many of us cannot upload a larger file.

Cropping to a max of 600 pixels always works. The symptom is that you go to the upload manager, select a file, and click on upload, and the upload dialog simply goes blank, and nothing happens. I'd be happy to try a test here, if it is of any interest.

Ray

GDeen
08-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Tim,

There has been an issue in the past (I haven't tried today), but many us have been unable to upload jpeg files larger than 600 pixels on a side. I realize that the import manager says it will handle much much more, and I've seen a handful of images on the site that are bigger, however for some reason many of us cannot upload a larger file.

Cropping to a max of 600 pixels always works. The symptom is that you go to the upload manager, select a file, and click on upload, and the upload dialog simply goes blank, and nothing happens. I'd be happy to try a test here, if it is of any interest.

Ray

Ray - I have successfully uploaded jpegs of 2000 pixels a side since the change. Don't know what the upper limit is, but 2000 now works.

Ray Davis
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
OK, going for a larger image test ... 1800x1200, looks like it worked. Image of a bus found by friend locally for sale.

Ray

Tim Leach
09-10-2009, 11:00 PM
This should be a good test of the limits of the image uploading.

Tim Leach
09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I can't images they get much bigger then this (click for fullsize)

jello_jeep
09-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Tim, I am trying to upload a 600x800 .jpg image, 76KB in size, won't take it..
Gives the following error message..

Safari can’t open the page “http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

Which is the same message it always gave when the file was too big.. or otherwise out of bounds.

Also now the file attachment manager does not list the size limits for jpg ?

Tim Leach
09-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I updated the file manager to not impose any limits on the jpg upload. Please email me the image you are trying to upload. tim@geekteam.com

With an error like the one you named:
"...because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy."
I am suspicious that it may not actually be the forum limitations causing your issue, but possibly your connection to the internet.

jello_jeep
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Ok Tim, on the way.

Ray Davis
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
TIM, FYI this has been a problem for many of us for a long time, even though posted limits were never exceeded. I wonder sometimes if it's due to the actual image, but that seems a bit unlikely. Resizing it to 600 or less on the largest side always works.

Occasionally I've been able to load bigger pictures, but not always.

Ray

Tim Leach
09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
testing the image posting.

Tim Leach
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I think I found the answer. It appears the problem posting images comes when the forum tries to make a thumbnail of the image for the post.

It looks like images, like the Junenight one that I've been experimenting with has an image encoding that the thumbnail creator can't read. So when trying to shrink it a blank page shows up without the image being completely uploaded to the post.

Turning off the thumbnail creation fixes this, as the forum no longer cares about the encoding. Though the thumbnails in the posts are lost by doing this, so there are no previews of uploaded images.

ajducote
10-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Tim,

I am unable to upload images. I am getting "a blank page shows up without the image being completely uploaded to the post"

Is there a setting I need to change on my end?

I just tried reducing the size to 600x450 and that worked. So I am unable to load larger images.

dale farley
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I normally have no problem uploading pictures, because I usually make them rather small to begin with if I plan to upload anywhere to the internet. I made some the other day and forgot I had my camera set to "Fine" and "Large". Couldn't upload to the forum until I reduced the size.

jello_jeep
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, whilst in OKC, Ray Davis and I did some experimental and top secret testing.

In our tests, we found the pictures run through Apple computer based image software would not upload. Period..

So if I shot in JPG mode, and loaded the image directly from the card, it would load. But if I uploaded the pics into my software, then to the forum,,, no bueno.

We tried Ray's Apple and had the same result. I usually shoot in RAW, so I would always run it through the software.

Ray's opinion is the software is adding something into the header information (that you and I commoners cannot see) and that the bulletin board software doesn't know what to do with it.

Ray is looking for a solution.

Our work-around was to save it as a .dng file, and all was well, but then the board doesn't show a thumbnail of it, so not the greatest solution.

Ray Davis
10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, as I just got back, and I'm 3 weeks behind in work! :D

Converting to a PNG (not DNG) file allowed the files to upload. Strangely enough files generated directly by an iPhone had the same issue.

More info as I have time to look at it.

Ray

Journeyone144
11-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Joe is here and he showed me how to post pictures...
Hopefully I'll be able to remember how...He's offered to ride shotgun with me to Florida on my maiden voyage and help me learn more about my precious bus...

Will Garner
11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Viv,

Good job on posting the pic. If you do forget just make a post and the help will come flooding in.

Oh yeah, the bus looks like a really sharp ride. An closer pics on the mural?

Have a safe trip to Florida and be careful out there in I-95 traffic. If you need a campground recommendation around Fayetteville, try the KOA off exit 61 in Wade NC. Carole and I stayed there for a Busnutz gathering and it is very nice. You may have to go one exit south and come back. The NCDOT was replacing the bridge over I-95 last spring when we were there. It should be finished by now.

Say "Hey" to Joe for me.