PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Down Towing Problems

ajhaig
08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
We towed our 2005 Chevrolet Suburban (2500) wheels down behind our coach for about 25,000 miles. Our Suburban is approved for wheels down towing and we carefully followed the procedures outlined in the owners manual every time we towed it.

We recently had an issue with the Suburban's transfer case; according to the dealer the transfer case fluid was "black", somewhat "burnt" and the transfer case needs to be replaced.

The dealer was adamant that the wheels down towing caused the transfer case to fail prematurely.

I'm curious, has anyone else (besides Jon) had an issue like this, i.e. Damage from wheels down towing notwithstanding the fact that their car or truck is approved for towing?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
AJ I think the dealer is blowing smoke.

Think about this for a second. When a vehicle with a transfer case is being driven on the highway the internal gears are not only rotating, but they are being driven under load. It is the loading of those gears that heats things up, such as our bus differentials.

It does not matter whether the transfer case is in 2HI, 4HI or 4LO. the engine is driving the gears (through the transmission) to one or both axles.

When you tow there is no gear engagement in the transfer case and only the output gears are rotating. They are not even under load.

Ask the guy to talk slow and explain real carefully exactly what it is in his opinion that causes the heat and blackening of the transfer case fluid when towing, that does not exist when the transfer case is driven. He's full of beans. Then after he gets done stuttering and tripping over his words show him the owners manual that says towing is OK.

phorner
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
We've towed our Jeep Liberty for a minimum of 30,000 miles. Transfer case in neutral and transmission in park.

Never a problem with discolored fluid when changed, which we do regularly, in either the transmission or transfer case.

We have also changed both differential case fluids with no apparent discoloration.

Will Garner
08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
AJ,

Paul has a Jeep. I have a Dodge 2500 4x4 pick up. Both Chrysler products. No problems, no burnt fluids.

Could the problem be you have a Government Motors made vehicle? I think O'bama once said prior to paying the bailout to GM that your Federal Government would stand behind any Government Motors warranty issue. Perhaps a call to the White House is in order! Or maybe a Cash for Clunker candidate?

On a more serious note, I am empathetic with your situation. I hope for your sake the problem is resolved in your favor. And ditto what Jon said. You can't build much heat if you are just along for the ride and not loaded. Wait a minute, I'm not sure that sounds just right!

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-06-2009, 08:14 PM
You were kind of vague in that you had an issue with the transfer case and the fluid was black and of a burned odor, so.

Who found this condition and why not first drain the case and install new fluid.

Were there other conditions involved such as low lube level, noisy bearings.

What other than dark smelly fluid warent the new case in the mechanics eyes.

I would take it to a different dealer or ask to talk to a zone manager.

In my mind if you followed manufacturers directions and maintained the oil properly and you are under warranty they owe you a new transfer case or go to court.

If you want a new trans case and are willing to pay and don't want the hassle of a suit, I would first go to a different dealer for a second opinion.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
I should have pointed out we towed a 1994 Grand Cherokee for 200,000 miles, and drove it another 60,000 miles before we replaced it with the Hummer H2.

I haven't added up the towing miles for our Hummer or the Dodge Ram 1500 that we tow, but my guess is the Hummer has over 25,000 towing miles.

So far no issues with any of them.

I still cannot see any way that towing has any impact on the transfer case.

mike kerley
08-07-2009, 08:51 AM
John wins the prize for miles towed. We had a 94 Grand Cherokee and drove it 264,000 miles and towed another 75,000 miles (those miles do not register) and never had an issue. Sold the jeep in 2005, still running good for $4,000. Loved that little 6 cyl engine....

I would vote for the second opinion on the case damage!

Coloradobus
08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
One of our toweds is a 2004 4X4 Chevy short box Extended cab w/Duramax. We have towed it more miles than it has been driven, 38,000 towed and 28,000 diriven. No problems at all. We even have the OEM tires on it. They are old and garaged kept.:D