PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Grommets?

rfoster
08-06-2009, 01:17 PM
This thread is for finding stuff -

I need help finding the little rubber grommet that goes in the hole of the dual rear wheel that stabilizies the valve stem. I have been to Truck Pro, Fleet Pride, Freightliner, Goodyear Truck Tire Store to no avail.

Anybody got an idea were to buy the rubber grommets?

sawdust_128
08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Wasn't look for them, but saw them available at several truck stops.

jack14r
08-06-2009, 01:33 PM
If the wheels are Alcoa,the rubber part is a Alcoa part.

MangoMike
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Or just wait for the next rally, plenty to choose from.

jack14r
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Roger,I have 3 left over from my 05 Liberty,they have #2127 on them,if they will fit I will send them to you.Jack

Kevin Erion
08-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Roger,
You have to get them from a shop that sells Alcoa wheels and accessories. I don't want to hurt any feelings but I don't like valve stem extensions, even with the support they are a very easy place to have problems. I use a cap that you can check the air pressure without removing and a long gauge. One less area for problems.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Roger knows what extensions can do having had a couple wear almost to the point of failure. I also had extensions on my stems and even with the rubber bushings they were almost worn through. I posted pictures previously.

Prevost went on record at a seminar may years ago as being totally opposed to any use of extensions, not because of the wear experienced by Roger and I, but because the centrifugal force on the added length highly stresses the valve stem right at the bend. A failure at that point becomes a very sudden large leak often leading to a catastophic failure of the inner drive axle tire which usually takes out air bags or a brake chamber. Nowadays at least a tire pressure monitoring system minimizes that danger.

However unless we use an internal sensor we may be required to use extensions for mounting the external tire pressure monitor system sensors, which makes the fatigue failure of the valve stem more likely unless the stem or its extension is properly supported.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Roger here is where I found mine.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/accessories/valve_stem_ext_stabilizer.asp

I ordered 002127 rubber caps and a couple of extra sets too! # 127392 For 22.5” x 9” wheels with 1.5” diameter hand hole, valve stem diameter 0.33”, center hole 002127 00

Gary S.

MangoMike
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Here's one guys answer to mounting the pressure measuring cap for the inner wheel.

http://www.pjrider.com/TireCodes.htm

Sid Tuls
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Roger, I needed some also and got them from Prevost Mira Loma and guess what they were FREE:D

rfoster
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Boy, ain't this POG forum Great!!

Thanks for all the response. I will contact the Alcoa folks as Gary suggested.

Jack, thanks so much for the offer. I am not without one so there is time for me to get some on order to have a couple on hand.

Sid: You had better record that freebie. I don't recall hearing about Freebies from Prevost Service before that one.

BrianE
08-07-2009, 12:00 AM
However unless we use an internal sensor we may be required to use extensions for mounting the external tire pressure monitor system sensors, which makes the fatigue failure of the valve stem more likely unless the stem or its extension is properly supported.

Jon, Glad you've come around on the value of monitors. With Pressure Pro and Doran (same sensor) you can use a socket and extension to install/remove the sensor. You can then service the inner tire with your long service foot.

Can someone verify whether the inner tires using Safe-Guard flow through sensors can be serviced with a long foot?

Larry W
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I ordered some from Prevost. They will want to know the diameter of the holes in the wheel. I still use the extenders but keep the gromunets in good shape and remove the extenders for inspection before each trip and have never found any damage.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Brian,

I have always been sold on the value of a tire pressure monitoring system, but even today I cannot get past the issue relating to the mounting of sensors.

Except for road hazards, such as Roger experienced, I feel my constant monitoring of my pressures and inspection of my tires is a good second best option. If I never had to remove a sensor to adjust my pressures, and did not have to have extensions I would probably have a tire pressure monitoring system on the coach right now.

I use the fill through the cap valve stem caps and they have proven to be the best thing since sliced bread. After a month or more of sitting, I may have to adjust my tire pressures by a pound or two before a trip and the days of a stuck Schrader valve are behind me. Having sensors that need to be removed bring me back to the days when it seemed like the only stuck valve was on the inside dual.

Having the internal sensors seems to be the answer for me, but inertia keeps me postponing the purchase of the system. That along with the fact that if one fails it is a PITA to deal with it.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Meyers tire Supply, stores in most citys. They supply tire stores and recappers.
Ed.

Orren Zook
08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Visual inspection at each stop is a good idea too, this tire was holding 90 pounds of air but was missing much of the tread. I had driven about 20 miles from an overnight stopover and was just about to jump on I-95 when I thought I detected the smell of hot rubber and fortunately stopped to check the engine bay and tires.

dalej
08-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Orren,

I don't really like those kind of pictures. :)

BUT, I know that it's very important to keep us all reminded to be alert to our bus and keep a close check on the tires.

Thanks!

It's hard to imagine that the tire went from good to bad in that short of time. Did you check the tires pressure before leaving your stopover?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Tires can go very bad in a very short period of time.

I mistakingly put a set of scalloped steers on the tag. I had just gotten the bus and the Michelins at the time were prone to edge cupping. Since the steers and tags were polished on the same side I made the choice due to that and the fact the tags "don't do anything". The tires had plenty of tread depth remaining and I suspect the condition was caused by a balance problem combined with too much toe in.

The bus at the time was about 24 months old and had about 45,000 miles on it so the tires had not aged out and the tread depth had a long way to go.

We then headed from western NY to San Antonio to an FMCA convention, and from there made a loop further west. When we got to Las Cruces which was perhaps 2000 miles from when the wheels were switched I ran my hands over the tag tires and my hands were punctured by the steel threads. In that short distance the edges of the tires into about 25% of the width of the tire had gone from a good tread depth down to the steel cords.

I could not believe how a tire could wear that fast. Because of that I learned to always put tires with irregular wear on the drives and to always run my hand along the tires regularly to check for any unusual wear that could ruin a tire quickly. Tread separation is not an unusual tire failure if the tire has ever been run low on pressure. Notice all the alligators in the highway.

Kevin Erion
08-11-2009, 08:07 AM
What was the date code on the tire that failed?

Orren Zook
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
What was the date code on the tire that failed?

This tire was six years old. I had checked the tire air pressures before leaving HHI that morning and had only driven from Outdoor Resorts @ Hilton Head to get on I-95 at speeds up to maybe 35mph. This tire was the inside drive tire on the coach. It was still holding 90 pounds when the tire service arrived to replace it. I was amazed at the condition when he got it off the coach! Fortunately no damage other than the tire - I once had a blow out at highway speed on a fiberglass coach while traveling in Quebec and the tread slapping around in the wheel well removed the inner fender and much of the electrical wiring on that side of the motorhome before I could get to the side of the road.

GDeen
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow - amazing the tread lost didn't tear anything up.