PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Temps

gmcbuffalo
08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
For those that monitor such things what do you see as the average tempertures in your

Generator compartment with it running?

Inverter compartment?

Battery compartment?

Engine compartment?

I was thinking that if you knew these values add 20 degs to it you could make a warning alarm out of a snap thermistor to close contacts to light an LED and sounds a buzzer if the temps were hit.

GregM

Petervs
08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Or you can go to Radio Shack and for about $20 you can buy a digital thermometer with one or two or three remote transmitters. it will display the compartment temp as you are driving along. The temps will vary quite a bit between summer and winter of course.

I have one of those on my boat (sorry, it is made of plastic, but hey, even the US government can't afford stainless steel boats for the Navy) and it shows the engine room temp while I am driving from the flybridge.

jack14r
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I have a remote thermometer in the inverter bay and I will see 120 on some days while dry camping.Last year before I had Liberty add an extra fan I saw 145.I usually crack the inverter bay door in the heat of the day if it is over 100.

gmcbuffalo
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Peter I have looked for them at RS and so far they don't know what I am talking about. Definitely not a shelf item for them.

I was thinking of something that would alert me like a buzzer.

GregM

MangoMike
08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Garden Dept. Home Depot.

This is what I use. Up to 3 remotes.

MIke

Jon Wehrenberg
08-06-2009, 07:07 PM
This is a great topic and having had experience with gel cell battery failure due to heat I can say that monitoring the battery compartment temps may alert you to the need for cooling fans or at least some ventilation.

I think I am going to try to get the device. Thanks Mike.

rfoster
08-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Me too Mikey. Thanks.

Or should I just wait for the rally and bring my shopping list as you suggested?

No!!. I will let the gov't do all the robbing.

phorner
08-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Oregon Scientific also sells wireless temperature sensors, usually a minimum of 3 sensor transmitters can be used per receiver.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/browse.asp?cid=2&scid=5

Of course, they also have full weather stations as well....