PDA

View Full Version : More Necessary Stuff

rfoster
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Today while enroute to Nashville progressing along I 40 West the alarm on the Trusty tire pressure monitor alarmed me that I had a tire going down and fast. It said so loud and clear with a high pitch squeal that would wake up Jdub after too many tacos.

I pulled off at the next exit ramp and pulled out the untrustworthy tire gauge and checked and sure enough I was down to 69 pounds on the passenger side outside dual. This is a great tire, no previous problems. Checked the valve, no problem. Raised the skirt (I like that- used to be more fun) and felt the outside of the tire and discovered a leak by feel. Could have heard it if the engine was not so loud. I picked up a bolt and it drove right into the tread valley of the tire.

Retrieved the trusty tire plug kit (A must have when traveling) and commenced to plugging - After 4 plugs I succeeded in stopping the leak.

Thanks to the tire pressure monitor I was able to detect the tire going down in time to save the tire and possibly a lot more. Damage, personal injury- well just let your imagination go.

Tire Pressure Monitors are a good thing after all. They suck on the 07 and up cars tho.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Good save Roger, glad it turned out to be a non event.

Ditto on the monitors that come on cars, even back to 03.

JIM

hhoppe
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Roger: Need a few more details please. 1. Name and model of the pressure monitors. 2. Did you have to remove and replace the wheel and tire to apply the plugs. Do you think it's a permanent fix. Describe the plug kit. Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Damn. Now you got me to thinking I need one of those gadgets.

Without the tire pressure monitor a driver would never know he had picked up a bolt and was losing a tire.

Just a note about repairs. A plug will stop the leak and serve to get the bus rolling again, but the only acceptable repair to a puncture is a plug plus a patch on the inside of the tire according to Michelin and Goodyear.

adamdegraff
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll be adding a plug kit to my bus! Think about it... the tire pressure monitor saved the tire, saved the collateral damage from a blown out tired, saved possible injury, etc.... but the plug kit allowed you to get to a tire shop to get it fixed. (I agree with Jon that the plug is only a temporary fix.) But it seems that these tire pressure monitoring systems are only half of the equation. Any recommendations as to the type of plug kit? Walmart kit ok?

Great post!

Adam

phorner
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Although I've often thought that an alarm system was probably a good idea, I've always put the idea on the "back burner" as I was sure that I am about as vigilant as it comes to checking tire pressures while on the road.

But this post surely gets my attention. There is no way that an event such as this could be avoided, and luckily Roger had to right tools to avert a potential major disaster.

Good job, Roger! Thanks for the post!

Orren Zook
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Does anyone here with a Silverleaf Electronics VMS have the TireSafeGuard or PressurePro add on for their SilverLeaf unit? If so any comments on how they work?

Jerry Winchester
08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I have fixed several tires with this kit from Powertank.

http://www.powertank.com/ecom/images/product/186.823.300x200.Plug_Kit_09_open_case2_500.jpg

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/21/productID/186

jack14r
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I ordered the Silverleaf with the Pressure Pro on Monday,I will have it in a week.I have had the Pressure Pro for 2+ years and it is super.I will report how I like the new unit in a week or so.

adamdegraff
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I have the Pressure Pro System. For the most part it works well. It doesn't give you accurate pressure readings, but it does notify you of a change in pressure. Every once in a while you will get false alarms due to a bad transmitter, but every time I have had a transmitter go bad, they have replaced it for free. (you have to send the old one back.) Overall, I like it. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a system that went inside the tire. I like that if the transmitter goes bad I can just unscrew and send it back in. It also occurs to me that the transmitters, at $50 a piece, are easy targets for thieves. Never had one stolen, but it wouldn't be a hard target. Of course, the second it is taken off your tire, you would hear an alarm... but then you have to get your clothes on, get out of the bus, kick somebody's butt... bla, bla, bla.

phorner
08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
"but then you have to get your clothes on, get out of the bus, kick somebody's butt... bla, bla, bla."

Yeah,........ I hate it when that happens :p

gmcbuffalo
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I have the following system and they have worked well for me. When I frist got them and had one that would not work, leaked air, I called and they sent a new one, no questions.

http://www.tiresafeguard.com/pdf/TPM-P1%20Brochure.pdf

I think that if I had to do it over I would go with their internal systems.

The external ones have a brass collar with counterclockwise threads that secures the sensor to the stem. The collar also has an Allen screw in it to make it even more difficult to remove.

I have found that when it goes off pull over and check somethings up.

GregM

GDeen
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
We are on the last leg of a 2 week trip up through the Rockies. I installed a Smartire system before we left and I have really appreciated the peace of mind it gives. In fact, Steve B got a call early last week about acceptable tire temps.

The Smartire manual has an interesting discussion about proper pressure and temperature and the theory of temperature equilibrium.

Anyway, I find myself scrolling through the tires on the display checking the temps and pressures in different environments. Very informative and I would say a monitoring system is a must have in some form or fashion. The installation was not too difficult even for a neophyte with a little guidance from some of the experts on Marathon plumbing (thanks Kevin).

rfoster
08-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Harry: I have Tire Safe Guard by HCI Corporation Model TTPM 12PS4H. External Sensors with pass thru air flow. Got 8 for the bus and 4 for the tow vehicle. It list for 800 Lewbucks with a 15% discount for Prevost Owners Group (120 Roger bucks) for a net of $680.00.

It saved me that much or more yesterday.

The tire plug kit is very similar to Jdubs. Availble at your local unadvanced parts store for (I forgot) 8 or 10 Lewbucks.

Yes I was able to remove the hateful bolt and plug the tire and continue on my way and even had a guy stop on the ramp and offer to help. No help needed - aired the tire up with the coach air hose and drove another 70 miles under 64mph and lost seven pounds of pressure but no alarm. Once I got to the auction lot in Nashville I added another plug and still had 90 pounds today. I will have to get a patch on it to feel safe and sound again.

Drove 275 miles home today - no problems. It was a good day.

jack14r
08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Orren asked about the Silverleaf Pressure Pro system,I received it this week and after they agreed that they did not send the correct wiring harness and they blue labeled the right one it is finally installed.It is easy to install the pressure pro,but the instructions have some glitches and incorrect info in them.When I have called and discussed these problems with them they say that the instructions are for 3 different models and my model #120 should be done this way.The unit is great so far and I will use it on a trip soon,the PP system shows pressure and approximate temperature,in the set up page it also shows target pressure,which is the initial pressure that the sensor has read as it was installed.This target pressure can be reset very easily by changing the air pressure in a tire and resetting the specific tire on the set up page.I really wanted more Detroit and Allison info and this unit really does that in a big way.I will report how well I like it after my next trip.

dale farley
08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I have the same system that Roger has, and it has done a good job so far. The pressure readings are not necessairly the same as my tire gage, but it tells me if I have a problem, and I like knowing the temperature of each tire also. I had a sensor go bad, and they sent me a replacement at no charge.

After having my inside dually blow out and rip out an air bag on an American Dream, I would never again want to be without a tire monitoring system. I didn't even know the tire had blown until we started smelling the rubber inside the coach, but if a monitoring system had been in place, I would have known immediately and saved myself several hundred dollars.

merle&louise
08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Dale & Roger,

Does your system have an AUDIO alarm if your pressure drops to a certain level?

rfoster
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Tuga: Yes, the audible alarm is what got my attention. Otherwise I will have to admit that I was not monitoring the situation as prudently as one probably should.

The alarm sounds when the pressure drops 10 percent of the original pressure.

And it was loud.

merle&louise
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Good Roger, those systems are worth their weight in gold. What a great safety device: the audio alarm is the key that makes it all worth while. I love my Smartire system. Good post!:)

michaeldterry
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to make a buying decision on a TPMS. Which one is the best for "foolproof" operation, features, and dependability between PressurePro and Tire-Safeguard, I've ruled out SmartTire absent a compelling argument to the contrary as I prefer the external stem mounted sensors. I'm interested in hearing from users of each of the systems regarding what you like/dislike about the display modules, types of alarms, and ease of installation/set-up.

Thanks for any input you are willing to share!

jack14r
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I have the pressure pro system and it has worked for 2 1/2 years without a glitch,I do have the repeater receiver which I think helps on the 45 foot coaches.

michaeldterry
08-15-2009, 08:25 AM
I have the pressure pro system and it has worked for 2 1/2 years without a glitch,I do have the repeater receiver which I think helps on the 45 foot coaches.

Thanks for the tip on the repeater, Jack! I was thinking of saving a Lewbuck or two by trying to go without it, but you've changed my mind on that!

Ray Davis
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Michael,

I'm curious why you have ruled out the internal systems? The obvious issue with the internal system is that it costs a bit more. However, personally I think the advantages outweigh the dis-advantages.

The Smartire system monitors accurately both pressure and temperature. There is some interesting reading on their website regarding heat and equalization temperature that tires should reach when driven.

Once mounted, the monitors are done. You don't worry about sensors being stolen, being too heavy for the valve stems and actually causing failure (although alerting you at the same time), or clogging up due to use of equal or other type of balancer.

The Smartire system is highly programmable, so you can set things like the base pressure for each axle, the alarm limits (when should the alarm go off), low pressure limits etc.

The Smartire system also makes a guage that is designed to mount in your dash, which makes it look better than the big plastic monitors, which I've generally seen hooked up via velcro.

I'm really happy with my system. Now that it's installed, I don't worry about it, other than to check my pressures before driving off. I also have it setup that if my toad is with me, the system will also monitor the toad tires. I did use a 3 antenna setup, which catches all monitors, up to probably 30 feet behind the bus!

Anyway, I'm delighted with my system. I am sure the other systems work fine, but personally, I didn't want to have an external sensor. Main reasons were that the smaller ones which put less load on the valve stem couldn't be filled without removing. And the ones that were fillable through the sensor, were quite large and a bit heavy. Obviously you can support them through grommets and stuff, but I personally worry about valve stem breakage. We've had that happen to several parties on this forum. I also removed the extended stems from my inner dualies. Maybe overkill, but that was my concern.

Ray

Ray Davis
08-15-2009, 10:20 AM
PS: One reason that I did install the monitor on this bus was due to an experience of me driving to POG2 in Santa Fe. Caravaning with a group of buses from CA, we stopped the night before while enroute. As part of my pre-trip inspection, I used a tire guage to check every tire. Everything was perfect.

I happened to check the tires at Santa Fe when we arrived about 3 hours later (not a long drive that day). One of my inner tires was down to about 70 pounds! Just the process of checking the tire pressure probably got some equal or something in the valve, and actually caused a leak. I filled it on the site, and it never leaked again, but that could have been devastating if I drove much further.

Ray

truk4u
08-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I had the Smart Tire on a plastic CC and it was a great system, but......
I had an inside tire battery go bad and that of course requires you pull both tires and breakdown the offending tire to replace the battery. The battery was 2 yrs old and it turned out to be a pretty expensive fix while on the road.

Not bashing Smart Tire, just providing information..

I now have the Pressure Pro that Brian put on they work very well.

Ray Davis
08-15-2009, 10:41 AM
That is certainly an important point. They say their current batteries are supposed to last about 7 years. I plan on changing tires prior to that, so fingers crossed.

Sid Tuls
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Ray,who installed Smart tire on your bus?

michaeldterry
08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I had an inside tire battery go bad and that of course requires you pull both tires and breakdown the offending tire to replace the battery. The battery was 2 yrs old and it turned out to be a pretty expensive fix while on the road.

That is precisely my concern with choosing the SmartTire system.

merle&louise
08-15-2009, 02:43 PM
I have the Smartire system on my coach because that is what the manufacturer recommends.

Years ago, in 1997 I think, I bought a Tire Mate system. It had external screw-on sending units with 3 little watch batteries inside. I had a lot of trouble with that system so when the Smartire (inside) system came along I decided to try it. I love it so far (about 1 year old). I did have a sending unit work loose from the strap that holds it to the rim inside the tire but Smartire made it good and replaced it free. I did have to pay for removing the tire though.

Which brand do the different converters recommend?

Camping World quoted me $1800 for a Smartire system on the front tires ONLY!:eek: Newell did it for $1200 for front tires only. So the Smartire system seems to be more expensive than the Pressure Pro.

If the external sending units don't give trouble Pressure Pro may be the best bet.

Denny
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I echo Ray's comments. I had a Smarttire system on my Foretravel for 5 years and not one problem. I have had it on the bus for two years and no problems.

Ray Davis
08-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Sid,

I had Marathon install the unit and sensors while I was having the bus serviced awaiting pickup in FL.

In Retrospect, they charged me WAY too much to install the receiver and antennas. At the time I was having 8 new tires put on, so it was simply a matter of having the sensors installed at that time, at very little extra cost.

I am certain (Gordon can probably confirm), that we could install the receiver and antenna's in your coach ourselves. It's really not that difficult.

Ray