PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tire wear

jelmore
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I just noticed some uneven wear on my right steer. An internet search turned up this link http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html and my wear looks like cupping. The cupping is on the outer 1" of the tread and the scallops are maybe 10" apart instead of how they look in this drawing. That page says this almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. The cupping isn't very deep, maybe 1/16", but it is noticeable.

I don't know when that wear appeared. A year ago, at 12,000 miles on the tires, I had the upper A arm bushings replaced along with all the small bushings. It's now 12,000 miles later.

I feel nothing unusual in the front end while driving. Smooth as can be and tracks perfectly.

Any suggestions for someone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area to take a look?

Joe Cannarozzi
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Swap the steers to the drives put some new shocks up and have the alignment checked............. see if the condition continues.

jelmore
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey Joe, I asked once about shocks and Prevost said the only indicator of failure is if they are leaking. True? Seems to ride ok. So you've seen wear like that and it was shocks?

Pete
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Joe, I have the same question about the shocks. I have an occasional feeling of a mild bounce in my seat back, and thinking I may need new shocks, I spoke to Prevost parts and was told they do not replace the shocks unless they have evidence of leaking. I don't know when if ever my shocks were replaced. Would like your opinion.

ajducote
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a 1998 Shell and I do not think any of my shocks had ever been replaced and I saw no evidence of leaking. Last year at 175000 miles I had all my shocks replaced when I had all the air bags replaced. I defiantly noticed a difference in the ride. It is a little stiffer and the front end no longer porpoises when I go over large bumps. I have to believe that the shocks have a point in miles used that they no longer work as designed. ( wear out)