PDA

View Full Version : Generator air cleaner dirty

Darrell and Linda
07-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Ran the generator for approximately three hours operating the cruisairs. I shut down the generator for a few and then tried to start it again......unfortunately it didn't start.

Checked the start relay and all start circuit wiring and connections. Never thought the issue was a dirty air filter. The generator only has 73 hours of run time since the last change. I finally got the generator running again, with great difficulty,.. and with all the white smoke pouring out the exhaust, killed every mosquito within a 2 mile radius. ...that's a good thing.

I thought, white smoke .......no air or head gasket issue.

I recall reading on another post, someone was concerned regarding white smoke coming out of the exhaust......well here ya go...check the air filter first before spending time on all the electrical stuff.

Question: You should be getting more hours out of the air filter then 73 hours..... anybody else have a simular problem

truk4u
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Darrell,

That's real strange that 73 hours would cause that problem. I think my manual says change it at 200 and I'm well over 100 now. Was there a problem with the filter? I check mine at oil change time and even blowing air through results in very little dust. Were you parked next to a sheep farm while dry camping?:D

Darrell and Linda
07-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah, that is what throws me. I changed the filter in April. I know that my sound proofing in the compartment is deteriating (chunks falling off) but all I could see is black soot in the filter. The only air intake to feed the gen set comes through a floor vent in the rear of the compartment.........would the sound proofing deteriate into a black soot powder??

gmcbuffalo
07-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Have you checked for an exhaust leak in the generator department?
GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
07-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Greg talked to AAP today and they said it would be perfectly OK to spray .8 GPH into your cruisair condensor.

He also said the after 94 units or anyone who replaced a condensing unit after 94 has the newer more efficiant condensors and larger squirrel cages and housings.

Said many used to do it with the pre 94 units with good results.

gmcbuffalo
07-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Joe
Interesting, I called Jonny about a 2 weeks ago explaining my problem and he didn't say anything about an upgrade on the fan. I wonder what an newer condenser costs?
GregM

dalej
07-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Joe!

They were talking air filters not air conditioning. :)

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Darrell, if you replace your soundproofing here is a good product.

Use the product with the pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA)

I haven't used it yet but I will when I need it. I used one of their other, a thinner product on my aux air comp housing.

Easy company to deal with the material came in two to three day of ordering, rolled in a box, by UPS.

The quiet barrier is protected on the outer surface.

Note that there is thin (MD) 1/8", medium (HD) 1/4", and heavy (SPECIAL COMPOSITE) 1 3/8"

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofing.html

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ultra-barrier-plus.html

The product I used was QUIET BARRIER LD COMPOSITE, I required something thinner and with the smooth vinyl on the outer most surface.

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/value-barrier.html

JIM

Darrell and Linda
07-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks Jim, I found the same site a few minutes ago searching for replacement foam. The more I think about it, it could be the sound proofing. This air filter spins inside the filter housing. It could very well grind up anything that is sucked in there. The thing is, the residue, its like an oily soot (like exhaust soot)...I don't see much foam.

The sound barrier stuff has to be replaced anyway......I was just holding off until fall. With this Liberty, I have to remove the whole generator to get at it to install properly.

gmcbuffalo
07-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Darrell
Spinning air filter, why? Are you sure? Air filters are to trap air, spinning will only dislodge particiles. Something causing you insulation to deteriorate.
GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Spinner air filters..............more old school stuff.

I used to drive an old KW that had one, worked very very well. Lot of dozers and off road equipment use them because of their superior results.

Darrell our air filter for the gen has plastic fins on it but it does not spin rather it gets the air moving in that direction.

Are you sure it is a true "spinner"

There was recently also a very interesting question on prevost-stuff on the inability of our generators to run well on this new ultra low sulfer fuel. Caught my eye cause latley ours runs very poorly till it warms up.

This fellow has a bran new gen bellowing white/grey smoke and additives cured it up for him.

Darrell and Linda
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Joe, we have the same filter, old school, your right..... I'm just assuming it spins by the suction on the intake and the open intake is just below the fins of the air filter. I'm not sticking any fingers in their to find out.

The generator has the liberty insignia on the belt cover.... but I it look like a kubota???? haven't paid much attention to the model.

I have been using additives in the fuel because of the low sulfur content. These old 2 strokers need the lubrication thats lacking in the low sulfur fuels. Included in the additive in addition cetane.

Darrell and Linda
07-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Greg, I don't know what is deteriorating the foam. Its breaking down quite a bit. I'm constantly finding small chunks of the foam on the floor. My coach is aged (19yrs) but the foam...... I would think you would get many happy years out of it. Others with the same vintage and liberty genset must be having the same issues?? I have 1759 hrs on the genset.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
The foam is deteriorating with age. 19 years is a long time. ( were you being funny?)

Not sure if it's the case in our application, but there is a good deal of ozone created around electric generating equipment and the foam is in a sealed and hot box with the generator on top of that! All of this combined will shorten it's life.

Some of my foam is crumbling and will have to be replaced. It is on my list, and as you said it will be a big job.
I do think the products from: http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofing.html, are a superior product and will last longer, but I seriously doubt that I will be around to evaluate that:eek:

I also don't think the converters are buying a premium foam that will last 20 years, some of "them" don't last that long.

:);) JIM

Darrell and Linda
07-31-2009, 11:38 PM
I'll start looking this weekend. Take my time, find the right stuff. Jim, I like the sound proofing that you're looking at or did you purchase it? Looks like an easier application. I'll get the little kid next door and give him 10 bucks to crawl inside the compartment and help me.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Darrell, I used the quiet barrier LD composite to line my aux air enclousre.
I reqired the 5/8" thickness for that particular application. For the generator house I will use the thicker material where space allows and look for the best product for the areas that are barely covered by the thin foam.

Your small boy idea is good for the removal of the old, but I think you will want the house empty for the install of the new product.
I like the PSA, it is like applying tape, you must be right on position when it makes contact.

By the time you finish the job you will be an expert and never have to do it again :eek: :D

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Forgot to include a picture in the last post.

hhoppe
08-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Darrell: you might want to check the rubber hose from the small turbo to the air intake. I just serviced my Generator and that hose was bad and needed replacement. It's a weird looking critter.

Darrell and Linda
08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Jim, that looks good. Is the adhesive aggressive and does the walls have to be prepped before installation.

I was looking for something local today.....but it is turning out to be a little more difficult than I thought. Ordering on line might have to be the way to go. In this application though, I hate to buy something without seeing it first hand.

Darrell and Linda
08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Harry, The hose to the intake looks good but the fuel preheater looks like it may need attention. The hoses I mean.

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Darrell, yes the adhesive is aggressive, but the surface of attachment must be clean, and therein will be your problem.

There will be little bits and granules of old foam and contact cement from the original foam.
Somehow I feel that must be removed or the PSA backed foam will not stick for the long haul.

I made a new box (the old one was rotten) for the aux/air comp. and coated it with epoxy so everything went together fine, I have not tried to do anything with "old work", that will take some experimenting.

One possibility is to clean it off as well as possible and apply the PSA backed foam and then mechanically fasten it in several places for longevity.

Another would be to use plain foam and a heavy contact cement. Now that I said it, I wouldn't do it that way, just thinking out loud.:eek:

If you can wait I will bring some of the product to OKC for you to put a finger and eyeball on :D

JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Darrell, your thread has taken a new and unintended direction. You would be well served to read the posts in the link about a complete bay rebuild and apply what you need to your situation.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?p=15047&highlight=soundown#post15047

JIM

Darrell and Linda
08-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Jim, you have the pulse on everything, thank you.
We did take a turn didn't we. I don't have the time right now but this fall will have this project on the agenda.

I'm still going to yank out most of the old deteriorated foam right now.