PDA

View Full Version : Improving AC effectiveness

gmcbuffalo
07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I know Jim Shoen is working on this for his Cruise Airs but I heard on a radio ad the other day a product that preconditions the air going into your home AC. It's water misters. They claim that if you lower the temp of the air going into your AC, your AC will use less electricity and be more effecient. From this I would assume that we all could benefit from misters before our AC's.
GregM

dalej
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Greg,

We covered this a year of so ago.

Most of us recycle the black water with a small macerator pump and use unfiltered nozzles to spray on our ac's. :)

I guess you could use gray water too.

gmcbuffalo
07-28-2009, 06:24 PM
ohhhh Dale, blackwater misters, definitely leaving your scent trail. It would be less trouble for the new owner if I just lift my leg on the corner of the couch.
Greg

Joe Cannarozzi
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Greg, on another note, Liberty slides that gen in deepwise and you can then subdivide the compartment with a wall and put a radiator compartment next to it in the same bay (that is how ours is go to the gen bay rebuild thread-busted nuckles, its around page 8, there is photos there of ours).

Liberty chooses to put it in the plumbing bay, unique, and puts the radiator 2 bays forward same side all in the name of more correct weight distrabution.

It is difficult to work on and it gets very very hot in that small enclosure. For us, a 40 with OTR A/C, cruise air and an aux fuel tank it was the correct design.

On ours extra hose gathers in and out as well as extra exhaust tube. It sits in the second bay drivers side IMO the correct spot for sure my preferance.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-28-2009, 09:02 PM
There is stuff on the backside of that condensor that will not handle an overabundunce of moisture.

It would either take some luck or some experimentation with the nossel size and or timing sequence to get it right.

I could potentially see a bad result from too much.

This is old school stuff. If done correctly could work well.

This is an aluminum 20 gal fresh water tank out of a 67 trlr I have been meaning to see if it would fit up front under the steps next to the crusair. It would be a great mister tank in a spot currently doing nothing. I could pressurize it with air or hook up a wirco windshield washer pump the tip and the timing would be the key.

I wouldn't be doin it for efficiancy I would do it to be able to run the front one while underway on very hot days to prevent shut down and keep preformance up.

gmcbuffalo
07-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Joe the reason I asked about the Generator is on mine the gen and radiator are in bay D-2 with a partition between the two. The exhaust is one large tube slide over a smaller one. The coolant hose are just looped in the back and I have kinked them once sliding the generator back into it place. So I hav e been looking for a solution to that problem.

I agree about the AC while on the road.

GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
O/K your gen is exactly like ours. The cooling hose on ours is flexible but is stiffer in nature than a standard hose and will not crimp.

gmcbuffalo
07-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I bought at Home Depot some fogger nossles that put out 0.8 GPH of very fine mist. I put one on a garden hose and put it in front of the cruise air behind the bumper. Doing this I brought the temp of the cooper lines carriing the refrigerant down 5 deg F (IR meter) and the exhaust air out the bottom came down 5 degs also. The water in the garden hose was close to 100 degs. Outside temp is 103 degs. After turning off the water it took 15-20 minutes before the temp reached starting temps.

GregM

Joe Cannarozzi
07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Greg very interesting, what will you do now?

truk4u
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Greg,

On my vintage Liberty, the gen and plumbing share one bay and the radiator and associated big squirrel cage cooling fan is in the next forward bay along with all the low voltage electronics. At first I wasn't sure I liked the arrangement, but with that big squirrel cage fan running, there is a tremendous amount of outside cooling air coming through both bays. I think it's a well designed configuration and keeping the radiator and gen in separate bays seems like a good idea for heat dissipation.

gmcbuffalo
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Joe
I put a additional fan in front of the middle AC unit I am now thinking of one fogger in front of thet. I will wait for a road trip on the fans frist and see if they do the job first. Still a little reluctant to add water to system.
GregM