PDA

View Full Version : Webasco Run Time

truk4u
08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I try to run the webasco as often as possible, but not sure how long it's suppose to run. For heating the (2) 10 gallon water heater tanks, it ran for at least 1 hour and never quit. I assume it's like the Aqua Hot I had, when it gets to temperature, it should shut down.:(

What do you think Mango, your the POG expert...:D

Jon Wehrenberg
08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
FWIW, also run mine just long enough for it to cycle off.

MangoMike
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Tom,

Glad to see you're doing your monthly Webasto Maint. An hour sounds long, have you also turned on the Webasto Thermo inside the bus? I'll try timing mine tomorrow to see how long before it cycles.

Mike

lewpopp
08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I thought there was an article by Jon in the front forum on some tips to pay attention to when you change the engine coolant. Is that hidden somewhere in here?

Lew

truk4u
08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Mango, I don't have any kind of thermo?

Jerry Winchester
08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Tom,

Just run it until it cycles off. That way you know it starts and know it stops and if you check the water temp (with the hot water heater off) you will know what kind of temps you are getting.

I did this to mine last Saturday and it was working as it should.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Tom,

You can limit cycle time for initial start-up by closing off all loops except one. On mine I can circulate it through the engine or the house. The Webasto cycles off at 160 degrees. It obviously will take longer to cycle off in the winter, and I can't tell you how long it takes for mine to kick off, but it seems like it is around 1/2 hour.

MangoMike
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Tom,

I checked mine last night and cycled off in 15 minutes.

Don't you have Webasto heat in your Marathon? That was my question about the Thermostat.

Thanks

Mike

ken&ellen
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
My Webasto has always been on a short cycle. I cleaned the photo cell and checked the gap today as well as ran the system. It runs for approximately 10 minutes then cycles off. I get heat in the units thoughout the coach, but compared to the Webasto unit in my Beaver Marquis it runs for a shorter period of time. Maybe Jon's suggestion about the valves on the system have a direct relationship to run time? Story of my life....short....always short!:D Ken

lewpopp
08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
You might want to know that I tested the operation of my Webasto the other day and everything was ok. WHEW!!!!

Mine doesn't produce a ton to heat but does warm the front up a bit. I seems as though non of my thermostats work because the Webasto never shuts down unless it gets super hot inside. As for the air, you could store ice inside at times and the thermstat doesn't shut that down either. Do they need replacing after 16 years? I prefer not to spend Lew Bucks unless I have to, ya know.

lewpopp
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Had a side window glass shipped to a local windshield installation shop here in Elmira and they are going to install it for me tomorrow morning. It'll cost a hundred Lew Bucks but they know what they are doing.

MangoMike
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Ken,
I would say that short cycling is good as your unit is running effeciently by shutting off as soon as it reaches temp.

MM

truk4u
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
I'll try shutting off the loops and see if that does the trick.

Mango, yes I have 3 seperate heating units (thermostats) and a switch that turns on the webasco for heat. The other webasco switch only turns on the water heater. My assumption was that if I only wanted hot water, the system would only cycle that loop, but I may be wrong. It also appears that when I select webasco heat, it also heats the engine since there is no seperate engine heat switch for the webasco. That would make sense since while driving, if the loop valves are open, I would then get interior heat as well as well as hot water.:rolleyes:

More to follow today after closing loops.:D

Jon Wehrenberg
08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Tom,

The Webasto control regulates the cycling of the burner. Your other thermostats regulate whatever temperature you need such as house or hot water.

The way our Webasto (not Aquahot) works is it maintains 160 degrees and only fires if the coolant drops below that point. If I recall from JDUB's Aquahot your Webasto is like ours just that it is used to heat the coolant in a different manner through the Aquahot.

truk4u
08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
OK, so I must not have phrased my question correctly. When I was asking if the Webasco should shut off after reaching temperature, I meant should the burner and pumps shut off?:eek: After talking to Marathon and Webasco, I learned that the pumps run continously. As long as the hot water heater switch is on, the pumps will run 24/7. The burner cycles on and off as required based on water temps and the pump never quits. Webasco even said this is not the best set up, since the pumps will fail at some point from service life. I assume the furnace setup is the same, as long as any of the 3 thermostats are in the on position, the pumps will run continously.

Now I know....:rolleyes: When dry camping, turn on the hot water heater and when finished with hot water needs, turn the freekin thing off.:(

Jon Wehrenberg
08-12-2006, 07:35 AM
In ours, Webasto only, no Aquahot, the circulating pump runs as long as the Webasto is "on", even if the water temperature never drops low enough to fire the burner.

FWIW, in the winter we have just left the Webasto on while driving, and not used the bus heating system.

Joe Cannarozzi
08-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Jon, To what advantage?

lewpopp
08-12-2006, 09:15 AM
So be it. I bothered my bunched shorts.

MangoMike
08-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Joe,

We also run the Webasto. The heat seems more comfortable that bus air and it flows from the bottom of the bus rather than the ports half way up. Keeps those toes warmer.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Mike, when the system is on, what would you estimate the actual burner running time is, say per hour? 20min. 1/2 hour, or what, at say around freezing. I read someware that the 24volt system uses 1gal. per hour but Im assuming that is if it ran constant all hour, and Im wondering cost of operation with these inflated fuel costs? We have an E-Spar that we are going to replace with either Pro-Heat or webesco but in either event well have to add registers to get the effect you describe of the heat originating from a lower point because our current system incorporates the bus blowers and the heat comes out at the bottom of the windows just as if you were running bus heat. We will also be switching to a propane frig and cook-top and I think I just may install a couple of fan forced propane furnaces to achive this result. They wont tax the batteries as much, the blowers are 12volt, and propane is a cheeper fuel source. If we go this way the webesco system will be reduced to preheating the engine and making hot water when nessesary and it will give us one more redundent system.

win42
08-12-2006, 10:35 AM
My take is; While winter traveling with the Webasto circulation pump on and your water valves open at the engine you will be getting free circulated heat from the engine cooling water.
Opposite in summer, you want those valves closed at the engine and no pump on.
Harry

MangoMike
08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Joe,

I really can't tell you how long the burner will run at freezing temperatures. I do know when dry camping during the winter in the ski resorts parking lot I can hear the jet engine kicking on and off during the hour. Also Webasto model dbw 2020 has a nozzle that burns a 1/3 of a gallon per hour when running, so compared to my monster generator, is pretty efficient.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I can tell you that for the last three days, my AquaHot has run zero minutes. Seems when you fill the tank and the ambient temperature is 100 deg., the tank warms up enough to keep you from needing any "hot" water. Is fall anywhere in our future?

truk4u
08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Jer,
Thats the beauty of Aqua Hot, if you had Webasco, the freekin pumps would still be running.:mad:

Joe Cannarozzi
08-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Hmmmmm. Interesting, VERY interesting.

rfoster
08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/ourgang.jpg

Being the prudent student of the POG forum that I am (following the example set by others) I ran my Webasto "test" today. - Cold engine - cool coach -75 degreees- hit the webasto on and with infra red thermonmeter in hand it fired and burned for 25 minutes, kicked furnance off at 150 degrees (temp reading taken in the Webasto Compartment plumbing. Blower quit in another 5 minutes and circulating pump cut off in another 3 minutes. Total time 33 minutes from cold on to hot off. All valves open- just like winter time.

MangoMike
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Fast Roger,

I like that attention to detail. I think in the Libety the circulation pump runs full time as long as the unit is on. But I can't swear by it. So tomorrow I'll fire up the Webasto and see what transpires.

MM

truk4u
08-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey Rodger Dodger,
Are you telling me that your pump actually turned off?:eek: Webasco told me there was a way to change some wiring to allow the pump to turn off, I think it involved another type of themostat.

OK Mango (Mr Webasco) dig, dig, dig...:confused:

rfoster
08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Tom: Sorry, details, details, I turned the webasto off once the furnace kicked off. Then (I assume) after a cool down period the circulating pump cut off as well. I have never known my webasto pump to cut off as long as the main webasto switch is on. I was wearing my Mango Cap too!

in other news: Did someone say Lew was 29 - what do you think?
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/lewspic.jpg
Butch (former little rascal)

Just Plain Jeff
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
It 'seems' that one difference between the Aqua Cold and the Webasto is that while the engine is running (let me get this right) the Webasto is making hot domestic H20. The Aqua Cold doesn't do that.

(As you can see, I have some issues with the equipment).

Roger?

Jerry Winchester
08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
My "AquaCold" makes hot water from the engine when it is running. Thanks for playing, try again.:rolleyes:

reelentless
08-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Had a side window glass shipped to a local windshield installation shop here in Elmira and they are going to install it for me tomorrow morning. It'll cost a hundred Lew Bucks but they know what they are doing.

Lew, Do you know where to get a drivers slide glass? Prevost wants $440.00 for the glass only!!!:

ken&ellen
08-15-2006, 04:28 PM
As I did the PM on my unit I discovered that the fuel filter on my Liberty's Webasto is a NAPA Gold #3107. It was not on any previous list of filters so I thought I would share my discovery. Ken

lewpopp
08-15-2006, 09:58 PM
That's just what I paid for the glass.

Make sure they do not charge you sales tax if you do not have a Prevost shop in your state.

I was going thru Coach Glass and they wanted all sorts of statistics and it was easier to call Prevost NJ.

My glass co checked it in upon arrival and that was it.