PDA

View Full Version : Tag Axle Lubrication

dale farley
07-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I've looked in my Prevost manual and in the Articles section, but I haven't found the answer to my question. Am I correct in assuming that I use the same 85-140 oil in my tag and steer axles that I use in the drive axle?

dale farley
07-25-2009, 06:06 AM
I see I posted this a little late last night. Does anyone know the answer?

dalej
07-25-2009, 08:17 AM
I use the same oil Dale.

You must be getting your bus in tip-top shape! It's nice to have the time to work on them isn't it.

dale farley
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Dalej, I am trying to check everything before I hit the road tomorrow. We plan to leave after church (around noon) and head to Yellowstone for a couple months, then go straight from there to OKC.

I changed my differential oil yesterday, although it didn't necessairly need it. My tag axle is showing the oil at the minimum mark, and since I have never put any in it, I thought I should top them off. I assume the little plug in the middle just pops out. I also assume I need to be careful and not tear it up and cause it to leak. Any tips???

phorner
07-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, the little plug in the center pops out. But, you do need to be careful, as it's not too hard to create a leak there.

Also, if there's a small vent hole in the center, make sure it's open.

I use the Lucas hub oil which is supposed to have an advantage of being "slicker" and is also supposed to prevent minor leaks. The leaks claim seems like a stretch to me.

dalej
07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Just my opinion,

You don't need to worry about anything while removing the plug. If it starts to leak afterwards, your plug is old and hard and should be replaced.

phorner
07-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Dale,

Where do you get the replacement plugs? I wouldn't mind having a couple of spares in the tool box "just in case."

I figure if I'm prepared, there's very little chance I'll actually need them!

dale farley
07-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Paul I too am wondering where you get those plugs. I would like to have a couple spares.

How much oil am I takling about adding to each hub if they are now at the Minimum mark?

phorner
07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
My tag and steer hub caps typically don't take much at all. It's probably just as important not to overfill. I maintain mine about half way between the min and max.

dalej
07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a Fleet Pride close by. They are a standard part at any truck shop.

I keep a new one in the tool box, you never know. I had a cap leaking last year and had to replace it.

When inspecting you can see where the oil is leaking from, sometimes the plug gets the blame when it's the cap.

Kevin Erion
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I would change all the rubber caps and keep a few extras, they get hard and also the center breather hole gets plugged, thats not good. They are very cheap compared to the problems they can create if things go south!

hhoppe
07-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't over fill, it wiil find it's way out. The Bling Meisters will give you major gigs for oily wheels in OKC.

dale farley
07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that all the caps were very pliable. Came off easy and went back on with no problem. I filled to about 1/8" below the bottom of the hole, so hopefully, they won't leak.

Kevin Erion
07-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Dale,
On the Stemco plastic window you should see 2 rings, outside ring is the low level, inside ring is the max oil level. It is not recommend to overfill, I think if you are that close to the hole, you might be a little over. I have never seen a Stemco without these indicator rings. I also think Prevost has a service bulletin on this.

07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
That is what a Turkey Baster is for, removing oil from the wheel hubs, keep one on hand its pretty handy when one gets carried away with the last little squeeze on the bottle.

Jon Wehrenberg
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Too full Dale. The correct fill level is just slightly above the outer perimeter of the clear plastic so it just becomes visible at the bottom. Too much oil is going to get all over once it heats and expands.

The plastic has a mark of some type on it to define the fill level.

MangoMike
08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
On the H3 there is no rubber plug. You have a Stemco cap as Kevin mentioned. Oil is added by removing a plug on the side.

As always, pix enclosed.

truk4u
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Nice funnel Chicken Boy!:D

Orren Zook
08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Mike,

Were you able to determine what caused that cap to leak? I see that you have removed the bolts, perhaps to change the cap.... did you use the same style cap or change to another style of oil cap? I had a Stemco cap with the little red cap plug leaking not badly but just enough to make a mess, I changed to a CR plug and that eliminated my problem.

MangoMike
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Orren,

After removal we found A small nick in the plastic plate was causing the leak.

Orren Zook
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Mike,

I've never seen one of the caps you have in person, does it use a red plug under all that armament? or what fills that hole in the plastic window?

Jon Wehrenberg
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I had a seeping leak from my cap about 4 years ago. I determined the crimped fit of the plastic and the white metal housing was not tight enough. I cleaned it completely using solvents and then sealed it with RTV silicone, spreading it with my finger and trying to work it into the seam between the plastic and metal.

It has worked for 4 years with no leakage at all so if the cap does leak it can be easily repaired.

ToyMan
02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Picked up my Liberty Elegant Lady yesterday. Drove from Jacksonville to the Flying J in Seffner to top off. While fueling, I noticed oil coming from the driver's side tag axle.

In looking at it, it seems easy to replace the outer piece. I am going to replace the oil as it looked pretty nasty when it came out.

I have removed the red plug and the oil is exactly even with the bottom of the hole. Looks like it was overfilled.

Looks like I need the turkey baster to get the old oil out.

Orren Zook
02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Ron,

Sometimes it's just the plug in the middle of the cap that causes this seepage. You should be able to buy one for less than $2 and try that as a fix before changing out the cap. Stemco, Chicago Rawhide and National plugs are interchangable so brand won't make a difference. New six bolt caps can run anywhere from $7 to $16 depending on your application.

pwf252
07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Need some help. I had some oil on my front rim while in Maine which I thought was from a leaking fill cap. When I got to Illinois from Maine the rim was absolutely covered in oil. I purchased a whole new cap assembly thinking I would replace it all to be safe. Also bought an X-12 to remove 4 lug nuts to facilitate removing the chrome ring to get to the cap bolts. Anyway once I removed that piece I looked closely for where the oil was coming from and it appears that its coming from around the rim of the cap assembly where its bolted to the axle. Could I have a bigger problem then I thought? maybe an inner axle seal? Would the gasket for this cap just go bad? There is a tire and wheel shop not to far away if needed. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????????

rfoster
07-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Patrick: I experienced a similar situation in Spearfish SD right after getting my present XL2. I discovered the ring of bolts around that secure the cap in place were loose enough to allow the oil to sling out when traveling and the evidence only showed up after running a long distance. In those days I would/could / did run 700 plus miles a day. Snug those puppies up and clean the oil that has leaked away, refill the bearing oil level to the proper level and see if that cures the problem. It was only occurring on the drivers side front in my case.

That has been some 40,000 miles ago and so far so good.

You and Sherry travel safe. Does she drive the bus after that airplane ride in Owls Head?

ajducote
07-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Patrick,

You should be able to get a new gasket or the entire cap assembly from any truck parts house or even some NAPA stores. The parts are cheap and it does not take long to change it out.

Are you going to make it to Durango? We are in site 67 at Alpen Rose Rv park. Let me know when you plan on showing up.

pwf252
07-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Roger, yes Sherry does spell me for short periods behind the wheel. I'm trying to get her proficient enough that she can do all the driving while I relax.
Andre, we should be there late Sunday or early Monday. looking forward to seeing you and your wife. Hoping Scott,Cindy and JJ make it also. It should be a great time.