PDA

View Full Version : Duo-Therm Roof Air

JIM KELLER
07-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I have three units on my roof. Two of the three click before starting. Sometimes two times. Sometimes three or four times. The clicking can be heard inside or outside the Coach. They always start but I can tell ahead of time and I count the clicks. I'm thinking start relays or capacitors.

Anyone else hear this on their Bus ?

rfoster
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Clicking? Nope. Could it be armadillos running for their lives?

Toolman: I couldn't resist.

lonesome george
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Jim, Our's click but I only hear it outside the coach.

gmcbuffalo
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Jim
Does each unit have a different number of clicks? If so it could be each unit have a different time relay so that if all are turned on at once they don't start working at the same time and putting a huge load on the circuit breakers.

On my Beaver conversion each Cruise Air has a relay so that they don't start at the same time.

GregM

dale farley
07-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Jim,

Since our last discussion about this, I've noticed that mine click every time before they start.

Denny
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Jim,

Mine click before starting.

Jeff Bayley
07-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I only notice the one in the bedroom but it only clicks when I have it on automatic and the blower and all turn off and on. It clicks 3-5 times. I got the feeling it was something wrong so I just leave the A/C on high blower and set the thermostat.

On a related topic, I was told to leave the A/C blowers on high at all times. To help keep them from freezing over I think. Does this sound familiar ?

JIM KELLER
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the response men. Sounds like clicking is somewhat common. If I had a start relay or capacitor going bad I wanted catch it at the begining rather than on the road somewhere.

Roger, what armadillos ? There all cleaned out down here ! I'm going to have to hunt something different !

gmcbuffalo
07-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Jeff I don't know if you need to leave it on high but the low fan setting for a long time will freeze it over.
GregM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Jeff, I was told while driving in the Hot Texas heat it was important to leave the fans on High instead of Auto, to keep the units from freezing up. :confused:

But when we are camped, I use the Auto thermostat so the units will shut off when the bus reaches temperature inside. :)

They still run quite a bit in the texas heat but do shut off from time to time during the early morning hours.

I was also told, to never have any of your A/C systems, running when you switch power from the generator to shore power or vice versa. Always have the buss in a passive state before adding or switching power sources.

Gary S.