PDA

View Full Version : In Your Spare Time

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Here's a small job that will make your bus last longer. If you find it of interest you will need about one and a half hours depending on how hard you work at it.

I wanted to polish my blemished license plate mounting casting and after thinking about it I thought it would be better done off the bus than on, so off it came. Whoh what I found behind it. Packed in the space between Aluminum and Stainless was a crusty mass of dirt.
There is no place for dirt like this on any bus. I brushed it out and washed it off and found corrosion by electrolysis.
I knew that if I put it back without doing something it might not last long enough. The casting is only about 3/16" thick. :rolleyes:
What to do?
First I polished the etched SS and the Aluminum casting, can't have any of that on a proper bus.
Next I wire brushed the inside/back side of the casting and painted it with Zinc Chromate primer to help prevent contact of it with the SS.
Next I applied Electrical tape to the SS surface that would make contact with the Aluminum and to the under side of the mounting screws.
Finally the assembly went together and I have all the confidence that it will now last at least a lifetime.

dale farley
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Nice work Jim. Why don't you plan to bring everything you used on your bus and give us a demonstration (on mine of course) at OKC. We need to see things done before we do them ourselves.!

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Dale, how about I bring the stuff and talk you through it for a real hands on experience.
That way you can better judge, when you are finished, if it was worth it or not!

JIM

flyu2there
07-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Jim,

The bus license plate frame may last forever but if you handle too much zinc chromate, you won't. That crap will kill an elephant :D

John

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Never touched one bit John :p

JIM