PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Any NASCAR Fans? I have a few questions

tjr00
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for checking our post. If you're into NASCAR check out www.timjr.com - that's us.

Anyway- I found a lot of helpful info on this site, we recently bought a 93 Prevost XL by Liberty and are still trying to figure some of the small things out.

We are looking to add a new in-motion satellite system, considering the King-Dome Trac-King #9762 and would like to hear any suggestions or advice.

And for anyone that may be a little more advanced in the trailer wiring area- does anyone make an adaptor for the 6-pin round trailer plug (prevost wired into the bumper) that will allow us to connect a 7-way blade plug into it (from a 20' enclosed trailer)?

THANKS!
Tim Jr.

Sid Tuls
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Welcome to POG Tim, I have a low profile Track Star and use Direct TV for my supplier I get excellent service from the West coast - East coast. I believe you will like driving the bus even more than the race car:D

tdelorme
07-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the POG forum. It's the best ten bucks you will ever spend on your bus. You will soon learn that I am one of only about three or four people here that really know what we're talking about. We are also season ticket holders at Texas Motor Speedway for what that's worth. Here is a link to the wiring adaptor you need and no matter what anyone else tells you, TracStar is by far the best satellite system for your bus. It cost a little more but they are dollars well spent. Flawless is how I would describe our TracStar system.

http://www.trailerhitches.com/electrical-&-brake-control/electrical-&-wiring/7wayrvto6wayround.cfm?source=gbase&gbid=7_Way_Flat_Pin_to_6_Way_Round_Adapter_w_Elect ric_Brakes_to_Center__A__Pin_of_6_Way&TID=CE541

http://www.tracstar.com/

dalej
07-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome Tim,

Glad you joined and are a part of this group.

MangoMike
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Official Name of the new guy.

Speed Racer

Welcome to POG, SR.

I have the Trac Star - very happy.

Mango Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Ditto on the TracStar. Buy others at your own risk.

You are already starting out ahead of the game by owning a Liberty. Where you fail is joining up with this bunch of misfits. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. If we don't know the answer we will make something up.

Welcome aboard. Try not to take anything that goes on here too seriously. And if you come to any of our rallies, don't forget we dress formally for evening dinners.

Sid Tuls
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Ted you made me look smart:D

Jon Wehrenberg
07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Forgot the trailer plug question.

I made an adapter with a plug to mate with the connector on the bus, and a new style receptacle. I only used it once and then used the parts for something else, but both types have the pin's purpose molded into the plastic, such as RT (right turn) S (stop), etc. It is easy to create an adapter.

I do not know if your age of Liberty has it, but in the control box for the trailer plug Liberty has a switch that allows you to select whether the turn signals are integrated with the brake lights or if they are separate. If you have that feature it might be worthwhile to put a voltmeter on the pins to verify power is to the pins for each of the trailer light functions and make sure that matches up with how the trailer lights were wired.

lonesome george
07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Tim:
Welcome to this malfunction.

phorner
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome aboard, Tim!

Now, please don't take this the wrong way, as no offence is intended, but I gotta ask....

Simply judging from your photo, you are old enough to actually drive the bus, right??? :D:eek::D

Jerry Winchester
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I did the same thing Jon did and made my own adapter. I really don't know if they even make one as I tried several places to source it with no luck.

Trac Star is the one. Bunch of a-holes in this group, but some of the smartest dudes you will run across when it comes to bus stuff.

Sid, are you saying every time Mel Torme posts, we all look smarter?

That's way harsh.

truk4u
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome aboard Tim... I have a King Dome and it has worked very well. We're fans of 48 and make both Charlotte races. All you need is an adapter like Jon pointed out. I made my own with receptacles from the auto parts store.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the group Tim.

We have Trac Star.

JIM

aggies09
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Welcome Tim.

I had a new TracStar installed about a year ago and it has been perfect. I would highly recommend.

sawdust_128
07-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I did the same thing Jon did and made my own adapter. I really don't know if they even make one as I tried several places to source it with no luck.

Trac Star is the one. Bunch of a-holes in this group, but some of the smartest dudes you will run across when it comes to bus stuff.

Sid, are you saying every time Mel Torme posts, we all look smarter?

That's way harsh.

O.K. I just have to know. Who was it that pissed in Mr. Winchester's corn flakes?:eek:

garyde
07-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Tim. Congradulations on the Liberty purchase. I don't know if you puchased from Liberty, but do count them as a good resource for questions and help as well as this group. Troy at Liberty can help.
Also, welcome to 'one flew over the cookoo's nest', also known as POG.
By now you have already met a few of the people who have yet to take their evening meds.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-14-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm off my meds. The voices say that is OK.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Look for this coach.

edsaylor
07-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome Tim:

This is a great group. You will enjoy and learn a bunch. Also, I have track star and it works very well.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Tim, I just had a new TracStar SV360 installed.

I now get High Quality DIGITAL signals to the TV's and High Definition to my front TV thru the Off Air roof antenna.

Gary S.

HarborBus
07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Welcome Tim, I'm also new to the group but have stayed low so as not to become a target, seems to be working so far. So, will you still associate with us when you become rich an famous?

tjr00
07-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank you guys for all the help- I was surprised to see so many responses within 24 hours!

We're going to look into wiring the trailer to the bus tomorrow, so we will see how it goes. Probably put our order in for one of those satellite systems as well. I really appreciate all the help - I'll be sure to keep up with you guys on here...

Our next NASCAR event is NEXT Friday, July 24th in Indianapolis. It will be televised live on SPEED Channel - just look for the #00 Aaron's Truck -

THANKS AGAIN - Tim Jr.

rmboies
07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Hey Tim and Nikki,

Welcome to POG! As others have stated POG people are a braintrust of information. Liberty's are great coaches, our first Prevost was a liberty.

Do you know Tad and Jodi Geschickter, JTG racing? I believe it is Woods Brothers/JTG as of this year? Lots of changes and sponsorships. Nice people and Jodi is involved with animal rescue work which is how we met. She is also on the board of our Pilots N Paws group that Jon and I started with the help of POG.

Look forward to watching you race!

Debi and Bob-05 (or Bob-00 who will always be that to Mango :-)

PLSNTVLE2
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome Tim.
We do follow Nascar. In fact we just got back from Chicagoland with our bus.

Good luck at Indy. If Kyle "you know who" runs his truck at Indy, don't forget to wave at him as you pass him on the back straight.

P.S. Any one that drives a Prevost and a Chevy has to be a good guy.

Kenj
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for checking our post. If you're into NASCAR check out www.timjr.com - that's us.

Anyway- I found a lot of helpful info on this site, we recently bought a 93 Prevost XL by Liberty and are still trying to figure some of the small things out.

We are looking to add a new in-motion satellite system, considering the King-Dome Trac-King #9762 and would like to hear any suggestions or advice.

And for anyone that may be a little more advanced in the trailer wiring area- does anyone make an adaptor for the 6-pin round trailer plug (prevost wired into the bumper) that will allow us to connect a 7-way blade plug into it (from a 20' enclosed trailer)?

THANKS!
Tim Jr.

Both new member and NASCAR fan. We're primary sponsor for the #25 Cajun Industries Toyota Tundra driven by Terry Cook in the Camping World Series. You can find race photos on our racing page at www.cajunusa.com and www.htmotorsports.com. TracStar is the way to go. I've had a KVH system for two years in a Newmar and it worked fine except it tended to loose the signal when parked. I would have to turn off the dish when stationary. I've not had that problem with the TracStar in my new Prevost Country Coach. Good luck on the track

michaeldterry
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Both new member and NASCAR fan. We're primary sponsor for the #25 Cajun Industries Toyota Tundra driven by Terry Cook in the Camping World Series. You can find race photos on our racing page at www.cajunusa.com and www.htmotorsports.com. TracStar is the way to go. I've had a KVH system for two years in a Newmar and it worked fine except it tended to loose the signal when parked. I would have to turn off the dish when stationary. I've not had that problem with the TracStar in my new Prevost Country Coach. Good luck on the track

Welcome Ken! At this rate, POG will be able to have its own NASCAR Series soon! :p

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Welcome Ken, nice to have you aboard. :)

JIM

Kevin Erion
07-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe with a 2 wheel race bike mixed in, who needs doors and 4 wheels anyway?

rfoster
07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome Kenj and Tjr. Glad to have you spend your money cause my bailout stimulus hasn't showed up in the mail box yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Did I see Kenj in a Country Coach? Country Coach people are special! There seems to be an increase in activity in the CC category.

I have been busier than normal answering Email questions about CC from interested parties in possibly joing the CC ranks among POG . Can't tell anymore yet, as it is a secret and the secret handshake has not taken place yet.

Sometimes Liberty and Marathon folks want to move up. I mean trade.

New guys: A big serious WELCOME aboard. We are always serious here (not) and no kidding around.

garyde
07-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Roger. What do you do in your spare time? Your the CC man!

Kenj
07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Welcome Kenj and Tjr. Glad to have you spend your money cause my bailout stimulus hasn't showed up in the mail box yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Did I see Kenj in a Country Coach? Country Coach people are special! There seems to be an increase in activity in the CC category.

I have been busier than normal answering Email questions about CC from interested parties in possibly joing the CC ranks among POG . Can't tell anymore yet, as it is a secret and the secret handshake has not taken place yet.

Sometimes Liberty and Marathon folks want to move up. I mean trade.

New guys: A big serious WELCOME aboard. We are always serious here (not) and no kidding around.

Yes rfoster, you saw me in a Counry Coach. Found it on Prevost-Stuff.com and picked it up three weeks ago. Great coach, great site. Keep the faith, your stimulus check will arrive. Its what I used to buy mine (ha ha).

tjr00
08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Just wanted to say hello again, we've been on the road alot doing appearances across the country.
The bus is working great, we're learning a lot about it. We appreciate the help and look forward to seeing you guys in our travels.
Mr. Ken J - hopefully we'll have the opportunity to meet you at the track sometime - best of luck.
Tim Jr.

Will Garner
08-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Tim,

Welcome Aboard.

I've been a NASCAR fan since the late 1950's - that's before satellites! I've been at Charlotte when the City was still filling the infield with garbage. At college Martinsville was a short drive up the road. Friend of mine got snagged to crew for Jerry Cook's modified as we were walking across turn four into the infield. Watched Bobby Isaac lap the field four times the fall after he set land speed records at Salt Lake - 1977 K&K Insurance Charger. Saw Richard Petty at Beltsville Maryland when the car was simply Petty blue with NO sponsor stickers - 1966 Plymouth. Oh yeah, Bobby Allison was there with a white 1965 Chevelle - also without stickers. I've got photo proof of that. NASCAR ran over 50 races a year back then and made a "northern tour" of local short tracks. Saw the last big block race at Daytona - man those 426 Hemi's made the stands rock and roll under your feet. Saw the first small block qualifying and race at Charlotte. Just not the same when you can keep the pedal to the metal through the turns. You could not do that with the big blocks.

From February 1990 until February 2004 I was responsible for assisting the NCSHP with traffic control in and out of the track area. Man was there some real racing at that track. 1.17 miles around and everyone loved racing at the track. Lost the race dates because of a lawsuit between Charlotte and Daytona. Rockingham was built in 1965, almost 40 years of racing history down the tubes. Pretty soon there won't be a track left that you can use to gauge the racing prowess of all NASCAR drivers and crews. In fact Rockingham had the Pit Crew Championship. Now Bruno and Humpy have turned that into just another carnival event too. NASCAR just ain't what it used to be. I remember the only way you could see live NASCAR racing other than at the track was at a theater on a big screen. The pictures were really grainy but what racing. Ah those were the days.

Anyway, that being said, welcome to you and Ken J as new members of POG. Its a great place to be and populated by some of the nicest folks you will ever meet.

Hope to see you somewhere on down the road.

ToyMan
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Tim,

A belated welcome to POG from a newbie. Yes, Suzie and I are big NASCAR fans. Below is a picture of us in victory lane with JJ (the other 48) after he won the Daytona 500 in 2006. I had to ask Jimmie if he could move over a bit so I could be directly behind the trophy.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6236&stc=1&d=1267918108