PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone NP Dry camping ?

Johnny
07-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Traveling from Cody WY tomorrow does anyone have any recommendations for dry camping in one of the campgrounds?

dale farley
07-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Johnny, If you are in a 45', the only place in Yellowstone that you can park is at Bridge Bay. If you are in a 40', you can park at Fishing Bridge or Bridge Bay. These are both on the East entrance to the Park.

If you call this # 307-344-7311, they can tell you of any vacancies they have in and around the park.

Johnny
07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

GDeen
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Dale,

How long should I plan on the drive from W. Yellowstone to Cody, WY with the coach? Have to make a drop off at the airport.

Thanks

Jerry Winchester
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Gordon,

To whatever Dale's reply is I would add a bit in that there were some pretty serious delays on the north loop thru the park due to road contruction. It was so bad we never went north from the junction coming in from West Yellowstone.

GDeen
07-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Ok, thanks Jerry. Changed flights to leave out of Bozeman MT to avoid any issues in the park.

dale farley
07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Gordon, With no unexpected delays, it is going to take you about 3 hrs from West Yellowstone to Cody. While staying in the Park, I have come from West Yellowstone to the other side of the park in an hour, and at other times, I have come in 3 hours (animals or road conditions). This was in a car.

It is about 80 miles (1 to 1 1/2 hrs)from Cody to Fishing Bridge (first store coming from East entrance). It is normally about 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Fishing Bridge to West Yellowstone driving a car.

If you call 307-344-2117, you will get a recording of the road conditions within the Park, and that will give yo a better idea of what to expect. Of course, you never know when a herd of bison will be on the road.

I just realized you said, "with the coach". I would add another hour to my time, so probably between 3 and 4 hours. There are some pretty twisting roads throughout the Park and a good size mountain to go up and down at the East Entrance. Not too bad, but you will definitely get to exercise your Jake and stay in a lower gear coming down.

If there is no construction to prevent it, you will be much better off to come from West Entrance and go through Canyon Village then to Fishing Bridge headed out the East Entrance. If you go the other way, by Old Faithful, you will normally get into much more traffic, and you will have a larger mountain to climb before you get to Fishing Bridge.

GDeen
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks a lot Dale. We are spending several nights at Grizzly in WY and will have time to see that whole side of the park. I just need to get one of my sons to the airport on our way out, and changed to Bozeman to help eliminate the unknown.

dale farley
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
One thing good about that area; there is plenty to see anywhere you are staying. If you go into the Park from West Entrance and go North a little, there is a very nice geyser trail at Norris. Has some of the most acive geysers in the Park, and they go off almost continously.

GDeen
07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Dale (or anyone else),

What other pointers do you have for YS? I haven't been there in 25 years and my kids have never been. We like to get out and move around. Any trails that are highly recommended? We will have 3 full days which may not be enough, but it is what we have.

Thanks.

hhoppe
07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Word of caution on driving speed in that area including Cody. Speed limit out of the park is 55 MPH, Speed Limit in the Park is 45 MPH. They vigorusly pursue the area with patrol car radar shooting oncoming as well as going direction. The fines are reasonable but the ticket acrues points on your insurance rates at home. Yes I did, one outside the park and one inside the park in all of 30 minutes. No real good excuse, just being dumb. Good luck, slow down and enjoy the view.

Coloradobus
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Gordon,

A few hkes we like are around the Midway and Upper Geyser Basins.
Just to the south of Midway where Grand Prsmatic Spring is, there is a trail head to Mystic Falls. Pretty much flat surface travelling the backside of Grand Prismatic as you head back. From there is a short detour to Imperial Geyser. then doubling back./
At Biscuit Basin just north of the Old Faithful area is a trail to Fairy Falls. Then Loop Trail gives you a great view of Old Faithful Inn and surrounding Upper Geyser Basin from several miles away from a ridge.
You can do both of these trails in an easy day. Total is about 10 miles.
In Upper Geyser Basin a bit south by road is a bike trail to Lone Star geyser. You can get the estimated time of eruption at the OFI vistor center before heading out.
While at the OFI visitor center, be sure to check eruption time for GRAND Geyser, and Riverside . You may have to wait for several hours but WELL worth the wait.
As Dale said, the trails at Norris Geyser Basin are great and be sure to do the Back Basin Trail as well as the Porcelain Basin.
Another good spot is the Artist Paint Pot trail off the road between Madison and Norris Jct. Its short but has a wide variety of active thermal feauture.
Then just up the road toward Norris on the left along the river, there are a few pullouts, yet out of sight from viewing by car is the Chocolate Pot. This Spring has a high concentration of Iron Oxide and looks like Chocolate.
North of West Yellowstone 7 miles, at Duck Creek and turn left toward Hebgen Lake and Quake Lake will give you a real nice loop drive.
After Quake Lake continue on RT 287 and then turn left onto Hwy 87 south. This will take you over a gentle Reynolds Pass and you will view the Madison Mtns from west side. You saw them west of Hebgen Lake from their east view.
Hwy 87 will take you south passing Henry's Lake and back to Hwy 191.
Turn left again and over Targhee Pass and only 10 more miles back to West Yell..

Enjoy the area, it is one of our favorites, too bad scheduling wouldn't allow us a trip this year. I lived and worked in Yellowstone for 15 years.

dale farley
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Gordon,

We stayed there for 5 months last year and we've been there two times before for a few days at a time. There are over 100 trails, and we did 16 last year. All the General Stores sell trail books, and there is one that is only about $7. It is a small white pocket book, and is as good as most any of the more expensive books. It tells you the location, level of difficulty, description and length (time and distance) of about 31 good trails. It is a good investment if you are into hiking.

You definitely need to go to Hayden Valley and to Lamar Valley in the morning or late evening. Hayden Valley has more animals than any other place in the Park. You are sure to see a variety of animals traveling between Hayden and Larmar, and the scenery is the best in the Park.

GDeen
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Jim and Dale,

Thanks for the heads up on the hikes. Wish we had a week there, but life gets in the way.

Harry, I will take that under advisement. Two tickets that quickly - ouch.